Length of videos using the built in camera

Charlesleonard

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Using camera to shoot video for first time today. Noticed that the camera would shut off when ever the file size reached 1.9 GB. It did this several times. 2 questions:
1. Is this normal and is it a possible to change the settings so as to have all video saved regardless of size.
2. If this is a normal setup on Android 3.1 does anyone know of an app that will allow the saving of any size video. I have plenty of storage space plus a 16 Gb external card so want to be able to record several hours of video without breaking it up into several smaller size files. Reason, I have a 2 day meeting coming up and need to record it, preferably only 2 files day 1 and day 2.
Thanks in advance.

sportstv

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Using camera to shoot video for first time today. Noticed that the camera would shut off when ever the file size reached 1.9 GB. It did this several times. 2 questions:
1. Is this normal and is it a possible to change the settings so as to have all video saved regardless of size.
2. If this is a normal setup on Android 3.1 does anyone know of an app that will allow the saving of any size video. I have plenty of storage space plus a 16 Gb external card so want to be able to record several hours of video without breaking it up into several smaller size files. Reason, I have a 2 day meeting coming up and need to record it, preferably only 2 files day 1 and day 2.
Thanks in advance.
Not 100% sure but it sound like a FAT issue. Both the internal storage and the SD card are formatted as FAT and not NTFS which has a limit to the file size which i think is about 2G. I have been able to save movie files that are a little bit larger on the SD card but at best i get 2.3 or 2.5G sizes. I think you have no choice but to do multiple files download them off the tablet and then combine them.

Reactions: Charlesleonard

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Not 100% sure but it sound like a FAT issue. Both the internal storage and the SD card are formatted as FAT and not NTFS which has a limit to the file size which i think is about 2G. I have been able to save movie files that are a little bit larger on the SD card but at best i get 2.3 or 2.5G sizes. I think you have no choice but to do multiple files download them off the tablet and then combine them.

FAT32 actually has a 4GB (minus 1 byte) file-size limit, so that shouldn't normally be the case. I've found low-quality memory such as that found in generic USB drives/SD cards etc will tend to corrupt or fail to transfer such files though. FAT16 had something like a 2GB limit on drive/partition sizes though I believe, but I'm not sure which file system the Android tablets use natively -- I'd assumed FAT32 til this point, if not the Linux ext2fs(??) file system or similar, which should definitely support large files.

Reactions: Charlesleonard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol