LG G2: Battery and Charging problem- super annoying.

xrabbite

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Been reading for a while but now I have a few problems with my phone and I would like some input if you guys don't mind too terribly much!

I got my LG G2 on sale from Verizon this past January. I've only ever used the default charger that came with it. The latest problem with my little phone is that for the past few days, every time I tried to plug it into my computer to charge instead of putting it in the wall, it says its charging for about .2 seconds and then says is not charging, because the charger is apparently incompatible with my phone. It was also doing this before the latest update to the software. It doesn't give me that error whenever I plug it into the wall. I tried the USB port on my friend's laptop and my mom's laptop as well to make sure it wasn't my usb ports, and got the incompatible message with their computers as well. So.. I'm kind of annoyed by that. I went ahead and gave my other microusb chargers that fit my phone a shot, and they weren't even registered by the phone.

The second problem is my battery. It charges at a snail's pace, even if I put it in airplane mode or turn it off before I plug it in to charge. Sometimes I even get a negative charge on it if I plug it in when the battery is below 20%. Occasionally 15 if I'm lucky. It'll slowly wither away and then start charging normally when it dies, and continue charging VERY slowly. There's been a couple nights where it would jump from 16% to 20% over and over. I try not to mess with it when its charging, and I usually charge it when I'm sleeping or for as long as possible when I'm in the car. Sometimes we can drive for almost an hour and I wont even get 5% by car, whereas my mom's iphone 5 will get about 12% with a 20-30 minute drive. I have to turn off wifi, bluetooth, location services (I dont care about these things too much), my screen brightness, all my apps (task managered off every time I'm done with my phone for the time being), and avoid playing games as much as possible. I work nights by myself (9 hour shifts) two or thee times a week and during my break I like to get my phone out and text my friends and I will drop 20-40% during my first hour-long lunch by just texting (I usually read and eat while I wait for texts to roll in) and I'm usually only texting one or two people, so why is my phone's battery draining? I scrutinize the battery usage while I'm looking to shut things down and make my battery last longer. While I am working, however, I put my phone in airplane mode and listen to music wither on my phone's music library or the music i downloaded from spotify while at home and using my wifi. If I don't text anyone, my battery will last all night with about 20% or so to go, including turning music off while I'm on my breaks.

I went to the Verizon store about the battery issue when it first started happening and the lady told me not to run facebook, twitter, and text at the same time because she says thats what drained my battery. I dont understand why she would say that because a smartphone should be able to run all of those things without issue, right? :/ My phone is under warranty and I'm tempted to just replace the device all together. What do you guys think?

(Theres also a very minor issue where my phone hates earbuds, and will pause every time the cord is bumped. Very annoying, but not the worst thing in the world.)

Last edited by a moderator:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery and Charging problem- super annoying.

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Been reading for a while but now I have a few problems with my phone and I would like some input if you guys don't mind too terribly much!

I got my LG G2 on sale from Verizon this past January. I've only ever used the default charger that came with it. The latest problem with my little phone is that for the past few days, every time I tried to plug it into my computer to charge instead of putting it in the wall, it says its charging for about .2 seconds and then says is not charging, because the charger is apparently incompatible with my phone. It was also doing this before the latest update to the software. It doesn't give me that error whenever I plug it into the wall. I tried the USB port on my friend's laptop and my mom's laptop as well to make sure it wasn't my usb ports, and got the incompatible message with their computers as well. So.. I'm kind of annoyed by that. I went ahead and gave my other microusb chargers that fit my phone a shot, and they weren't even registered by the phone.

The second problem is my battery. It charges at a snail's pace, even if I put it in airplane mode or turn it off before I plug it in to charge. Sometimes I even get a negative charge on it if I plug it in when the battery is below 20%. Occasionally 15 if I'm lucky. It'll slowly wither away and then start charging normally when it dies, and continue charging VERY slowly. There's been a couple nights where it would jump from 16% to 20% over and over. I try not to mess with it when its charging, and I usually charge it when I'm sleeping or for as long as possible when I'm in the car. Sometimes we can drive for almost an hour and I wont even get 5% by car, whereas my mom's iphone 5 will get about 12% with a 20-30 minute drive. I have to turn off wifi, bluetooth, location services (I dont care about these things too much), my screen brightness, all my apps (task managered off every time I'm done with my phone for the time being), and avoid playing games as much as possible. I work nights by myself (9 hour shifts) two or thee times a week and during my break I like to get my phone out and text my friends and I will drop 20-40% during my first hour-long lunch by just texting (I usually read and eat while I wait for texts to roll in) and I'm usually only texting one or two people, so why is my phone's battery draining? I scrutinize the battery usage while I'm looking to shut things down and make my battery last longer. While I am working, however, I put my phone in airplane mode and listen to music wither on my phone's music library or the music i downloaded from spotify while at home and using my wifi. If I don't text anyone, my battery will last all night with about 20% or so to go, including turning music off while I'm on my breaks.

I went to the Verizon store about the battery issue when it first started happening and the lady told me not to run facebook, twitter, and text at the same time because she says thats what drained my battery. I dont understand why she would say that because a smartphone should be able to run all of those things without issue, right? :/ My phone is under warranty and I'm tempted to just replace the device all together. What do you guys think?

(Theres also a very minor issue where my phone hates earbuds, and will pause every time the cord is bumped. Very annoying, but not the worst thing in the world.)
Although this could be a hardware issue, my bet is the USB cable honestly... try a different, quality one and see if you get the same result. If it still acts up, factory default it, if the behavior continues, consider a warranty replacement. The apps that person mentioned are not responsible for this issue.

For the earbud thing, again try a different set and if the problem continues... These devices are like anything else, sometimes you get a lemon and just need a replacement. The G2 is a great phone, or should be when it is working properly, your issues are NOT normal.

The G2 is amazing with the battery... under normal circumstances here is no issue charging or anything else with not. Note that the phone's chipset has USB3.0 capability, but it is not properly pinned and cabled out, so it is only truly USB2.0 capable... If you plug it into a computer or laptop with USB3.0 capability, it will complain that it will perform better in a 3.0 port, but it really won't make any difference. I charge my G2 on all sorts of things, laptops, desktops, servers, Mitel 5000 controllers... pretty much anything with a USB port when I get to that point to charge it with no issues (not that I get to that point very often anymore).

xrabbite

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Battery and Charging problem- super annoying.

okay, thank you!

I'll buy a new cable and see how it goes. It used to charge fine on my laptop so its sort of disappointing that I can't charge it on here anymore... but thankfully it works with the wall plugin and that cable that its apparently incompatible with. Lol. I guess it keeps happening I'll take it to the store again and ask for a manager that time so I don't have to talk to an associate about my phones problem. I took a screenshot of where it said '48 hours until full charge' too, and I'll show them that as well.

Hunan

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Probably not getting enough current from the USB port. If the phone charges normally with the charger that came with it (and using the cable that came with the phone), then the phone is OK.

Posted via Android Central App

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
There are two ways that the G2 charges:

1. "regular" charge - If you use a compatible high current USB cord and charger (~1.8 Amps), it will charge the phone quickly and safely. This is the recommended method

2. "Slow" charge - if you use a regular USB cable or charger (900 mA), it will tell you on the screen that the phone is "slow charging". The phone will still charge, but much more slowly, and if you are simultaneously doing other heavy things (like GPS, watching a movie, etc,), it may not charge at all.

xcShane

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Probably not getting enough current from the USB port. If the phone charges normally with the charger that came with it (and using the cable that came with the phone), then the phone is OK.

Posted via Android Central App

Agreed.

Also, I bought a 2 amp output external battery that came with a cord and when I plugged it it in, the phone said slow charging. Being that I bought a high output battery to avoid this, I figured something wasn't right. I switched to the original cable and sure enough it charges as fast as the original charger. Both the oem charger and external battery charge the phone on average around 27-28% per 30min.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had a version of this issue for a long time - I randomly get the "Not Charging" message when I go to charge my G2. I've yet to find a way that reliably corrects the issue every time, although all attempts have worked at some point, including:

- Changing to another charger
- Changing cables
- Plugging same cable back into the phone
- Plugging the same cable back into the charger
- Unplugging the charger from the wall
- Plugging into another circuit in my house
- Restarting the phone
- Plugging into a high-capacity battery pack

All of these have both worked at times and have failed at times.
Might just be some G2 software voodoo.
-bk

Amit Singh28

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
the problem is related to the battery temperature sensor .. i tried everything like hairdryer ... reassembling the phone etc but nothing worked
than i came to to a solution when i was moving through the service menu (launched by the code 3845#*800# as my device is d800 for other models code will be like 3845#*model no# eg; for d801 put 801 in place of model no )

now you can move to setting tab
than in setting press battery tab
here press battery fake mode and turn it on

thats it now it will charge ....
however it will show always a fixed level of battery like 80% or something else but it will charge ....
if you want to see how much it has charged just turn off the fake battery mode and it will show you how much battery is there ....

if it works and you got your phone working and useful again you can donate me a beer ...... on paypal :D:D dslogics at gmail dot com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov