LG G6 confirmed specs

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, the G6 isn't badly specced. Yes, the processor is a little dated at this point, but it's going to still be a very solid performer and does seem to have tweaks to the ISP and graphics processing for stuff like HDR 10. However, it needs to be priced right considering that it's basically running on Q4 2016 hardware that's soon going up against Q2 2017 hardware.

But the most disappointing part is how LG seems to still be using its strategy for multiple SKUs depending on region.

• Wireless charging is limited to the United States.
  • The hyped Hi-Fi Quad DAC is only limited to Korea and some Asian nations, which is actually a huge disappointment due to it being hyped as a major point in the teasers.
  • Hong Kong, India, Korea and other Eastern nations have 64GB of internal storage, while everyone else gets 32GB. Sure, there's microSD expansion, but that's no excuse for not having more internal storage.

The G6, to me, is an extremely significant step-up from its predecessor, which wasn't interesting at all, honestly. However, LG needs to learn that having multiple SKUs with differing features isn't a smart way to go.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
LG can't seem to put out a good flagship.

They have taken a potentially great phone and chopped it up into several almost great phones.

Wireless charging will only be available in the US, while the 64gb version is only available in Asia. They are also going to leave out the quad DAC for Europe/US because of unknown reasons, even though they are pushing that feature with their marketing.

Let us not forget that this phone's SOC won't even be upgraded to the 835. Given this was their only real option, they needed to really go above and beyond the G5 of last year to win people over. That could have happened if they kept all features in one SKU.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
However, LG needs to learn that having multiple SKUs with differing features isn't a smart way to go.

I am inclined to agree. I am wondering if it would be more cost effective to offer the same features across the board. No special region gets this and not that, and vice versa.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
they needed to really go above and beyond the G5 of last year to win people over. That could have happened if they kept all features in one SKU.

I agree. The G5 nearly hamstrung LG, and to cure it, a successor would have needed to completely wow everyone.

LG can't seem to put out a good flagship.

They have taken a potentially great phone and chopped it up into several almost great phones.

I agree with the second part of your statement, but in the case of the G6, not the first part. The G6 has a great potential. However, breaking it down to essentially 2 different phones doesn't seem like the greatest of moves.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I am sure that if they put everything into one G6 nobody in any region would complain. Better to have a feature and not use it than to want it and not have it built in! I DO NOT want a glass back on a phone! Fingerprint magnet with smeary greasy looks. TOO FRAGILE! Looks great but if I have to put an armored case on it to protect it then what's the point? Since the United States version is the only one with wireless charging then why have glass backs on all the other versions? I want 64 GB storage like all the other versions...why only 32 for the U.S.? I don't care about the DAC but it should still be there for when I do want it. I was interested in this phone but now I have to keep looking. I really hate the direction that phone manufacturers are going. I cannot find anything that appeals to me and works. I have the ZTE A7 with great hardware but crap software. The LTE signal on the A7 is garbage. I have to turn it off to get a good 4G signal. I wish some of the reviews would talk about more than just the stupid camera!!! This is not a camera...it is a communication device for texting, email, and even making a phone call and not one mention of any of those vital things! It seems that not one phone maker can get it right anymore!!! Very disappointing. :(

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
The G6, to me, is an extremely significant step-up from its predecessor, which wasn't interesting at all, honestly. However, LG needs to learn that having multiple SKUs with differing features isn't a smart way to go.

Definitely agree. I do give LG the thumbs up for trying the modular design approach though. They did a bold move and tried to do something completely different and the market could have eaten it up. :)
The G6 is more 'safe' and i think they have done well. The curved screen edges and small bezels is already a winner. Im OK with the 32GB storage. Obviously 64GB would have been nicer but at least we can always put a Micro SD card in and bump that up to potentially 286GB total.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Definitely agree. I do give LG the thumbs up for trying the modular design approach though. They did a bold move and tried to do something completely different and the market could have eaten it up. :)
The G6 is more 'safe' and i think they have done well. The curved screen edges and small bezels is already a winner. Im OK with the 32GB storage. Obviously 64GB would have been nicer but at least we can always put a Micro SD card in and bump that up to potentially 286GB total.
Here's the thing.

I never view microSD as a means of storage expansion. I've always seen it as a secondary form of storage for storing media files.

It's nice to have but we shouldn't be giving manufacturers a free pass for not giving more internal storage due to that slot.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If they had just given the US 64gb, they probably would have done better. There's not gonna be multiple storage options so they should have offered more. I was pissed with Samsung last year for offering 32gb but I dealt with it and then got the Note for the extra space. We know what happened with that, but then I got stuck back with 32gb. All signs point to the S8 having 64gb. LG should have competed with that. With the specs all over the place depending on where you buy it, this phone is a mess. They clearly have no vision.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The G2 and G3 were awesome flagships from my experience.

The G4 was great (especially that camera at the time) until all the boot loop bricking. Left a bad taste for me.

Okay, I would like to revise by saying they can't seem to put out a good flagship lately (after the G3).

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I would like to revise by saying they can't seem to put out a good flagship lately (after the G3).

i would disagree, only because i do think the v series is considered an alternate flagship for LG and the V10 & V20 have been great all-around (albeit niche) devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilc73