Lg G7 ThinQ and Straight Talk

TransAm461

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, my name is Brian, and I just purchased a new "Unlocked" LG G7 ThinQ from BH Photo Video, and it is supposed to work with ALL major U.S. carriers, but I wasn't sure that it would work with Straight Talk, so I called both BH and Straight Talk, and they both told me it should work flawlessly, so I went ahead and ordered it. Im currently using my ancient Note 4 on my girlfriends Verizon Unlimited Plan, but I wanted to switch over to my own plan with Staight Talk and the G7. In our rural area, Verizon has the best cell coverage, with most of the other carriers being spotty coverage. My uncle switched to Straight Talk, which runs off of our same Verizon towers, and has good service.

I've been doing a bit more research on it, and comparing the 4GLTE Frequency Bands of the new G7, Verizon, and Straight Talk, I'm getting a little confused.

Verizon 4GLTE Bands- 2,4,13, and recently added 5 I believe

Straight Talk 4GLTE Bands- 2,4,5,12, and 17

LG G7 Capable Bands- 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,17,20,25,26,28,40,41,46,48, and 66

I checked my current Note 4 that I'm running through Verizon, and it runs on Frequency Band 13, which the G7 is capable of, but Stright Talk doesn't show to use that Band. They do however all use 2,4, and 5. I'm confused, because I was thinking as long as I purchase the Straight Talk 4GLTE Sim Card kit for the new G7, that it would use the Verizon towers, is this correct? They are telling me it will work great. Should I be worried at all? Thanks, and by the way, I'm a newbie at all of this 😉

barotropic

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I believe Straight Talk comes in different "flavors" (carriers). I'm pretty sure the bands you listed for Straight Talk (2,4,5,12,17) are for the AT&T flavor.

I'm any case, I have the same G7 model you bought, and pretty certain it will work on any US carrier network.

TransAm461

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Btw, how do you like your G7 so far? I'm excited about mine, suppose to be delivered Friday. I also bought the Spigen Neo Hybrid gunmetal case for it for a bit of added protection. Although my Note 4 has been a great phone, it's starting to slow down a bit, and the screen is getting alot of pink hue to it, and burn in. I'm thinking the G7 will be quite the upgrade from the Note 4.

barotropic

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm VERY happy with my G7. I'm coming from a G6, which has served me very well, and turned me into a strong LG phone fan.

Didn't really need to replace the G6, but couldn't pass up the sale price on the G7 at B&H. My wife got a nice hand-me-down, although she's oblivious, as long as it works.

The G7 is very responsive, great battery life and has a beautiful, bright screen. The quad DAC is a nice bonus, and the camera are great.

Can't see buying a different flagship, considering this sale price.

barotropic

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Btw, I've been using cricket (which is an at&t mvno), and it has been a good value. But I'm in the process of switching to Consumer Cellular (also uses at&t, as well as TMobile). CC will cost about the same, but give me full speed cellular data, as well as hotspot capability.

TransAm461

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Great info, I appreciate it! Sure can't beat the price at BH, that's for sure, I searched everywhere, and although I did find a couple just a tad cheaper, they were GSM only, and would not work for CDMA. BH was by far the cheapest I found for one that worked with both GSM and CDMA... I bought the Aurora Black.

TransAm461

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to follow up for future reference, the "Unlocked" LG G7 Thinq works beautifully with Straight Talk. In fact, I use it with both their "Bring Your Own Phone" CDMA sim for Verizon towers, as well as their "Bring Your Own Phone" GSM sim kit for AT&T towers, so that I can get the best service, no matter where my location is through out the country. I just contact Straight Talk and have them transfer my number to whichever sim I'm wanting to use at the time. Hope this helps for future reference....