LG G7 Turns off when Idle

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'm going someone can successfully help me resolve this issue with my unlocked LG G7 Thinq. It's a T Mobile phone with Straight Talk operating on the T Mobile towers. The problem is that the phone switches off on its own whenever it's idle. It doesn't seem to happen when it's actively being used and it turns back on without a problem. However, it's quite frustrating constantly having to turn it back on and worrying about missing important calls. I've tried clearing the cache, running it in safe mode, doing a hard reset (and not copying over any apps or files), even took it to a repair shop where they replaced the battery, and removed my SD card - it's still having this issue. After the battery was replaced, the phone seemed great and worked the rest of the day without turning itself off. However, after sitting idle and unplugged overnight, it started doing the same thing. Since the battery is new and the phone works well otherwise, I'm having a hard time accepting that it's a lemon and there's no solution. The bummer is that I just purchased it as a certified renewed phone, and don't have the option to return or exchange it. Any ideas or suggestions??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, that really does sound like a hardware issue. Where did you buy it? Usually, a place that sells certified renewed phones will have at least a 30 day warranty -- is it already past that warranty period?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

RubyHope

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
Thanks! I appreciate you responding! That's a bummer... I bought it on Amazon from a seller in the "Certified Renewed" program. They do have a 90 day warranty, but the seller did not have a comparable replacement to make an exchange. We worked out a deal where they paid for me to take it to get repaired, but doing so also voided the warranty. After three different trips to the repair shop, they were unable to find or solve the problem. 'Wishing I had just sent it back for a refund and shopped elsewhere.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks! I appreciate you responding! That's a bummer... I bought it on Amazon from a seller in the "Certified Renewed" program. They do have a 90 day warranty, but the seller did not have a comparable replacement to make an exchange. We worked out a deal where they paid for me to take it to get repaired, but doing so also voided the warranty. After three different trips to the repair shop, they were unable to find or solve the problem. 'Wishing I had just sent it back for a refund and shopped elsewhere.

Hi, welcome to AC!
I'm sorry to hear that !

RubyHope

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
Yeah, thanks! I'll probably avoid refurbished phones in the future... For now, since I'm stuck with it and have to figure something else out for a reliable phone anyways, maybe I'll try rooting it for fun. I've always wanted to learn, but was scared of bricking the phone.

RubyHope

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
Thanks!

No, I don't think they did. At first, they were convinced it only needed a battery replacement. After I took it back and told them it hadn't worked, they spent a couple hours with the phone playing with running down the battery and making sure it was installed correctly, but I think that's about it.

I found a couple guides for this. I'll give it a try when I get some time. I live an hour from the nearest repair place, so would love to troubleshoot this myself and gain some skills as opposed to making that drive a fourth time...

RubyHope

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
I successfully re-flashed the firmware using lg up. Sadly, the problem persists. Since it worked for that first day with a new battery, is it possible that something in the phone is damaging the battery? I've heard of some crazy things happening with SD cards, and mine was pretty old. I should have removed it prior to the battery replacement, but did not do so until the problem returned the next day.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I successfully re-flashed the firmware using lg up. Sadly, the problem persists. Since it worked for that first day with a new battery, is it possible that something in the phone is damaging the battery? I've heard of some crazy things happening with SD cards, and mine was pretty old. I should have removed it prior to the battery replacement, but did not do so until the problem returned the next day.
Is the sd card still in the device?

RubyHope

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
No. I removed it after the battery replacement and have not reinserted it since. I would like to try flashing the European firmware on it, to see if it makes any difference and will let me unlock the bootloader (it's a G710TM). So far I can't get the patched version of lgup to work so that I can see if the dll partition option will accomplish this.

Also still open to other suggestions. It'll stay on most of the time if I turn off the screen timeout and lock, but that's not very practical.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm thinking something maybe motherboard or something got loose during battery replacement it's sealed battery correct?

RubyHope

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
That's correct. When the problem reoccured after the battery replacement, I took it back to the same shop under their warranty and they opened it up and looked at it again, but didn't find any issues. Now that they've opened it up three different times to try and repair it, I'm thinking either it's not a hardware issue or they really weren't putting any effort in.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's correct. When the problem reoccured after the battery replacement, I took it back to the same shop under their warranty and they opened it up and looked at it again, but didn't find any issues. Now that they've opened it up three different times to try and repair it, I'm thinking either it's not a hardware issue or they really weren't putting any effort in.
Maybe get a 2nd opinion from another repair shop ?

RubyHope

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
Yeah, that's about where I'm at. Too bad - they were the highest rated place in the area. Anyways, thanks for your help on here.