LiquidSmooth 1.4 and Franco M4 Battery Life

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello All,

I've been using this setup for the past 2 days and I can honestly say that battery life hasn't been any better for me. I wasn't expecting anything big or life-changing, but it actually seems worse.

I'm running the governor on "conservative," brightness is NEVER over half, usually under out of battery fears, and none of my notifications are set to push.

I've been on it messing around a bit more than usual, but it just feels like I'm having to play it way too conservatively for a system that seemingly promised better, natural battery life.

I'm not overclocked or anything like that either. I don't have any new apps--ha, save for the ones I needed for root access--and my battery consistently says screen is like 60-70% of my battery hog. Again, it's never over half...ever...and usually between 0 and 50%.

Any thoughts? I've thought about trying out AOKP to see if I can get comparable performance and better battery life, but I want to exhaust all my options with LS1.4 before switching.

I will admit - the phone just feels faster, snappier, which I love. And the battery isn't being drained in 4 hours or anything. But on stock (and even on 4.0.2) I was seeing 16-18 hours of life...and this thing was sub 14% at 10-12 hours.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
There could be a lot of things that could be causing your battery to drain more. Don't just hop onto AOKP, while I love AOKP I don't see a big difference in battery life from when I was using Liquid. Download BetterBatteryStats, CPUSpy and Bad Ass Battery Monitor to better monitor what is chewing up you battery life. BetterBatteryStats is a little confusing at first but there are many posts about how to use it and it will show you what is waking your kernel and keeping it from going to sleep and therefore consuming battery. CPUSpy will tell you how long your CPU is running at what speed. You should see the majority of you phone running in Deep Sleep unless you use your phone a lot. Even when I use my phone a lot, my Deep Sleep percentage never drops below 65-70%. Finally, Bad Ass Battery just gives a better breakdown of the same info that is shown in the Android battery app in settings. Easier to see everything on one screen.

Try that out and post some results so we can hopefully give you a better idea of what is eating away at your battery life.

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I can basically turn my phone on and almost watch the battery percentage drop almost every min if the screen is on.

Screen is still like 50% or more of the culprit...even at about 10% brightness.

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Weird, I reflashed Franco Kernel 181 with the Wheatly governor (on 512) and wow...much, much better battery. I had about 45% left when I went to sleep, which was about 14 hours on the battery. I wasn't aggressively using the phone all day, but it was a vast improvement.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry that I haven't been peeking in, been studying lol. Honestly, I have had my issues with Liquid 1.4 and I wont flash it until they come out with a new release. That being said my friend has Liquid on his and has no issues what so ever. Every phone is going to be a little different. I am glad to hear that the kernel worked out well for you. I ran GLaDOS Kernel for a while with Wheatly gov and I liked it but I also go back to Franco. I am running M4 right now and getting pretty good battery life. You have to stick with whatever works for you, I just don't think it was your Kernel that was doing it. While you see an improvment I would still think there is something in your background eating up battery . I still would recommend you download BetterBatteryStats to get a better idea.

dsass600

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the same setup and same problems but the culprit of mine is still undetermined because with the cpu watching app it says that it's in deep sleep majority of this time, so I know it's not a deep sleep problem, but my battery still sucks.

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
DL Badass Battery and see if you can see what function is running.

I've been using r181 with amazing results, and today I've used r190 and I'm at about 10 hours with 45% left...and that's with moderate use and screen brightness around half or so.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
DL Badass Battery and see if you can see what function is running.

I've been using r181 with amazing results, and today I've used r190 and I'm at about 10 hours with 45% left...and that's with moderate use and screen brightness around half or so.

And what's your screen-on time?

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Probably should have checked. I think around 2 hours, +/- a few mins.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Now that I'm on the franco nightlies, r181/192/194 have been pure gold. I unplug my phone at full charge and Badass Battery says, "24 hours left, average."

WERD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Addity