List: Stock Apps and their .apk files (for removal)

eltoozero

Feb 1, 2011
www.destruc.tv
I located a couple of badly maintained resources for this info, so I'm going to try and put together something useful out of the mess.

This list will be helpful if you're trying to decipher the list of apk files in /system/app, or if you're using SDX Stock App Removal and need to know what exactly you're looking at.

Please don't forget to backup, both through nandroid and SDX if that's your tool of choice. I trust you wont break things but if you do, please don't blame the guy trying to help you.

Also note, there are .odex files that correspond to every .apk file, they are safe to be deleted too, and they are the source of the term "deodexed". You seriously don't need to care what "deodexed" or what .odex files are, if you're really curious it has to do with Java, runtime compiling, optimization, and things like "core.jar:ext.jar:framework.jar:android.policy.jar:services.jar:com.google.android.gtalkservice.jar". So just move along to the more important things in life and leave that to the devs. You're ok to delete .odex files corresponding to .apk files you're deleting.

Sprint Bloatware

Sprint NFL: sfl-prod-release.apk and/or com.handson.h2o.nfl.apk
Sprint Nascar: nascar09-prod-release.apk
Sprint TV: SprintTV.apk and/or mobitv.apk and odex
Sprint TV Widget: SprintTVWidget.apk
Sprint Navigation: sn28-1092-sprint-signed.apk + telenav.apk
- Use Google Mobile Navigation instead.
Sprint Hotspot: mobileap.apk
- "Hotspot cannot be removed in Froyo." -Ragnarokx
- Use Wifi Tether in Market instead.
Sprint Zone: SprintZone.apk
- Sprint account information, news, and apps portal.
- Dial *2 instead.

Samsung Bloatware

Media Hub: mediahub.apk
- Samsung's movie downloading service.
DRM Service "OmaDRMconfigService.drm": drmprovider.apk + drmUa.apk + sisodrmprovider.apk
- Installed with first OTA update.
AllShare: Dlna.apk
- Samsung's Media App.​

TouchWiz Stock Apps & Widgets

Calendar Clock Widget: SamsungWidget_CalendarClock.apk
Feeds & Updates Widget: SamsungWidget_FeedAndUpdate.apk
Program Monitor Widget: SamsungWidget_ProgramMonitor.apk
Analog Clock Widget: SamsungWidget_StockClock.apk
Weather Clock Widget: SamsungWidget_WeatherClock.apk
Contacts Widget: BuddiesNow.apk
TouchWiz Calc: TouchWizCalculator.apk
- Use handyCalc in market instead.
My files: myfiles.apk
- Limits you to /mnt/sdcard (Only shows the contents of the SD Card.)
- Use ASTRO File Manager in market instead.
Task Manager: jobManager.apk​

3rd Party Bloatware (Thanks Sprint / Samsung)

Amazon MP3: amazonmp3.apk
Amazon Kindle: redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk
Asphalt 5 Demo: Asphalt.apk
Facebook: Facebook1.2.apk + SnsAccount.apk
Flash Player: FlashSVGPlayer.apk
Pineone Flashlite Plugin: FlashPlugin.apk
Qik: qik_0.3.74.apk
ThinkFree Office: ThinkDroid.apk

Other stuff safe to remove in special circumstances

TWLauncher: TouchWiz30Launcher.apk
- Uninstall only if you have another launcher installed (such as LauncherPro).
TouchWiz Calendar: TouchWizCalendar.apk + TouchWizCalendarProvider.apk
- Don't remove this if you still want a calendar.
Email: Email.apk
- Ok to uninstall if you only use Gmail.
Visual Voicemail: cm-android.apk
- Uninstall only if you use Google Voice or do not use Visual Voicemail.
- Hold "1" on the Dial-pad to call voicemail instead.
Browser: Browser.apk
- Uninstall only if you use Dolphin HD or Opera Mini in the Market.​

Original Sources

Last edited:

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
News & Weather Bloatware

Does anyone know which apk is for the News & Weather app? I haven't narrowed it down yet and would love to kill it off.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I am rooted, and thanks. It's called GenieWidget.apk in case anyone is interested...and it can be removed with SDX Stock App Removal.

sandman512

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Trying to delete Shopper.

Rooted Epic here and I am trying to delete Shopper, cannot seems to locate it using SDX removal. Advice? THANKS!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an app named Shopper on my phone.

To uninstall Market apps, go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All>(select app to uninstall)>Uninstall

sandman512

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an app named Shopper on my phone.

To uninstall Market apps, go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>All>(select app to uninstall)>Uninstall

Thanks for the reply. It was under Manage applications(weird since I did not download it). I didn't even think of checking under manage applications.

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
will these pop back up on reboot? i know with bb and sprint they did. also i know it says it will not effect the phone at all but will the icons delete as well--therefore being able to make the menu screen neater? this is the first time i've thought about deleting bloatware. thanks

Chetbungo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It is not present, I deleted MediaHubV102_Epic4g.apk, MediaProvider.apk and MediaUploader.apk, YET the Media Hub icon and app still work!

I just had the same issue, i went in and stopped the application and cleared the cache in setting -> applications and it went away.

Also anyone know if this will be thread will be updated since 2.2 was released? Some of the drm files are not there, and when you delete the two that are there you can not change your ringtone if you have custom ones on your sd card. Any info from anyone ?

IZZY Dead

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Caution Removing DRM Services

USE CAUTION when removing any of the DRM services as it broke my Video Player and after a little research this was also confirmed on other sites (XDA..)

EpicTornado4g

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Amazon

I rooted my epic and removed the amazon.mp3.apk using uninstaller for root. Under "Manage Applications" the com.amazon.mp3 still shows up. I went into the data/data folder and removed it yet its still there with no data or anything. its not installed and doesn't even show up in ti backup, yet its stilled listed under manage applications. Any thoughts?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Use SDX Stock App Removal next time - it does a good job of getting rid of everything. You might even still be able to use it now - if it doesn't show up, try putting the apk back first.

Reactions: EpicTornado4g

GSF1200S

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Sprint Android Extension?

I did a search and did not find any info on this extension listed under services. Being an Archlinux guy (not that any of you care, haha), im pretty zealous about not having crap running I dont need, especially with battery life concerns. I have repeatedly killed the "Sprint Android Extension" and it doesnt seem to harm anything, yet the only thing I see about it in the forums is "your phone needs that."

What does this extension do? I removed the DRM program (I dont use media hub or any drm crap- just music on my SD card which works fine) using Titanium Backup and im tempted to delete this extension as well..

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It's required to be able to update your PRL. If you don't care about that, go ahead and remove it. If removed, I would keep a backup just in case.

Reactions: GSF1200S

GSF1200S

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
It's required to be able to update your PRL. If you don't care about that, go ahead and remove it. If removed, I would keep a backup just in case.

Ahh, ok.. basically what towers my phone connects to. So since I dont anticipate many new towers in my area, I could just keep it off unless I decide to update the PRL list.. is it even worth it? Does it actually cause any notable battery drain?

Thanks for the info, though.. I was wondering what it did.. :)

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You might not be expecting any new Sprint towers, but PRL also updates what Verizon towers you can roam on. I don't think it causes any noticeable battery drain, but you can try keeping it off any see if it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: ComingUp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TX_Poker