Little things about the Honor 8 software experience

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else think or realize just how unique the Honor 8 really is? It's the little details like one I just realized as I normally use a paid version app for my weather. Well the Honor 8's weather app is every bit just as good if not better than my paid version plus it's cool bc it plays a sound. Even down to the sound of rain if raining is out. Then there is the font size adjustment within a text by pinching or pull apart your fingers. Smaller or larger. I absolutely don't understand why I've read so many who dislike this software interface experience. It's not much of a learning curve and I personally think it's refined to a better experience than pure stock Android. Anyone else feel that way too? I'm about to place an order for a Moto Z Play as my second phone but I'm still highly considering ordering the Pearl Honor 8 in a 64g instead. I just wish they offered the honor 8 in two versions. 5.2 and a 5.5 or 5.7. I like for my second phone to be larger than my daily go to phone which is my black Honor 8. I'm not sure how EMUI 5.0 is as I haven't found anywhere that will allow me to download the beta version but if they have made it way more pure Android then I'm definitely staying on 4.1. I think this software is one of the best comparing to Apple iOS too out there.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I agree. It's amazing how much it adds everywhere, including the little things.
I have found myself missing some of that when I try another phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Honor really throws in a lot of features and customizations. It's perfect for those who like to tweak phones

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I agree. It's done nicely and it's also refined and polished. Android to me has always appeared to kind of rough around the edges of that makes sense. Not sure if it's because I used Apple so long or what but the Honor 8 definitely has a refined type feeling software. Very unique in comparison to either hardcore Apple iOS and hardcore android.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
The EMUI updates are more additions than taking away the features you like. You don't have to use the app drawer style homescreen and the 4.1 features are still there.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The EMUI updates are more additions than taking away the features you like. You don't have to use the app drawer style homescreen and the 4.1 features are still there.

In emui 4, you cannot use the app drawer without a third party app. In emui 5 you can use the app drawer as an option.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't agree with you more, OP. EMUI is definitely not hard to get used to - in fact, I liked it the first day I booted up the phone. And all of the little bonuses in the UI that totally enhance your experience - it's great. And yes, I totally get what you mean about the weather app. It's very well done!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I know the Axon 7 comes with a case, and the most basic of screen protectors, which are nice additions from a lesser known brand. Does the Honor 8 include any such niceties? ...I is Amazon going to need to be my friend again?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I know the Axon 7 comes with a case, and the most basic of screen protectors, which are nice additions from a lesser known brand. Does the Honor 8 include any such niceties? ...I is Amazon going to need to be my friend again?

Depends where you are ordering it from. If you are ordering from B&H Photo, they will include a case and a gift box (which includes a selfie stick, usb-c cable, ac charge brick, along with a micro usb adapter). I don't know about Amazon but Honor does not include a screen protector.

There was a time when Amazon included a case with it, but I don't know if that's still happening or not. I believe Newegg includes some stuff too, but not sure. Ordering directly from Honor, you have no additional goodies I think.

tl;dr : my first statement answers your question.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Like said above... It depends on where you buy from. Personally I wouldn't put much weight in the case plus screen protector... Just factor in its cost... For example the honor 8 64gb was $223 on black Friday...a cheap case and screen protector is$10-15, so i would rather get a hot deal on the phone and buy accessories later rather than a so so price on the phone but comes with case and screen protector

Bottom line... Look at the cost as a whole rather than just what accessories are included

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Depends where you are ordering it from. If you are ordering from B&H Photo, they will include a case and a gift box (which includes a selfie stick, usb-c cable, ac charge brick, along with a micro usb adapter). I don't know about Amazon but Honor does not include a screen protector.

There was a time when Amazon included a case with it, but I don't know if that's still happening or not. I believe Newegg includes some stuff too, but not sure. Ordering directly from Honor, you have no additional goodies I think.

tl;dr : my first statement answers your question.
Thx!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Like said above... It depends on where you buy from. Personally I wouldn't put much weight in the case plus screen protector... Just factor in its cost... For example the honor 8 64gb was $223 on black Friday...a cheap case and screen protector is$10-15, so i would rather get a hot deal on the phone and buy accessories later rather than a so so price on the phone but comes with case and screen protector

Bottom line... Look at the cost as a whole rather than just what accessories are included
Thx too!

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I think that it's more important to look at niceties or features that are inherent to the phone than items like case and screen protector. Just make sure you can get a case for the phone you choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload05