Location Accuracy Low

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
As part of the problems I'm having with Smart Lock I am also noticing that my P6P will frequently report that its location accuracy is low. I calibrate following the instructions, it reports that accuracy is high, but then in a few hours it reports low accuracy again.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Since location accuracy is dependent on your phone GPS ability to triangulate on satellite positions, try downloading the app "GPS Test". This app will show your GPS accuracy in various locations. I have a 3-story contemporary home and my GPS accuracy on my top floor is exceptionally good, accuracy on my bottom floor is haphazard.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you also have Wi-fi and Bluetooth Scanning turned on? (Search in the system settings for those options.)

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you also have Wi-fi and Bluetooth Scanning turned on? (Search in the system settings for those options.)

Should I have them turned on? Will they help? They were turned off, I've turned them on, in addition to setting the maps to unrestricted battery.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Should I have them turned on? Will they help? They were turned off, I've turned them on, in addition to setting the maps to unrestricted battery.

Wi-fi and Bluetooth Scanning can help to improve location accuracy, so if you're having difficulty with the accuracy, it's worth turning them on to see if there's any difference.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
No, you don't need Bluetooth or WiFi scanning on.

Did you drop a pin by your home in Google maps or activate the area for your home in Trusted Places?

I have dropped a pin, Google has know where my home is for years, I have tried adding my apartment building as a trusted place also, nothing seems to work.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Since location accuracy is dependent on your phone GPS ability to triangulate on satellite positions, try downloading the app "GPS Test". This app will show your GPS accuracy in various locations. I have a 3-story contemporary home and my GPS accuracy on my top floor is exceptionally good, accuracy on my bottom floor is haphazard.

I tried that, I seem to have the same error throughout my apartment, ± 5 m.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Try stepping outside your door where your phone has an unobstructed view of the sky and full access to GPS satellites.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
There is a section in smart lock to activate your location as defined by Google Maps. Is that activated or not?

I don't see that option. Are you on a Pixel 6 with Android 12?

I have identified my home in Google Maps by my address, and I've also added my lat and long coordinates as a trusted location. Is that what you mean?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
For me, Smart lock location never worked all that well since they implemented it. I just honestly gave up, especially after one of the major OS updates broke Tasker to do it for me.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
After you identify your HOME location in Google maps. When I say identify I mean going under the settings and labeling it as home. Google has labels for home/work.

Settings - Security - Advanced Settings - Smart Lock - Type in Pin - Trusted Places. You will see HOME and some numbers and letters under it which I assume is your address encoded as Google Maps sees your address, city, and state. It will say "From Google Maps" under your encoded address. Tap on that address and make sure it's turned ON.

I have a Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 4XL both on Android 12. Settings are the exact same on both phones.

Yes, my home is turned on and has been.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Maps on my phone keeps reporting that its accuracy is low, even though I just calibrated its compass a few minutes ago.

I have noticed that turning on WiFi and Bluetooth scanning has helped make Smart Lock behave better but maps still reports low accuracy. If I start up GPS Test and another GPS app I've used over the years, they report very low errors, around 5m. So, it appears that maps is reporting low accuracy in error. Maps shows my position exactly where it should.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty