Looking for a ROM

ethan

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
So I'm thinking about rooting for a few reasons. I'd like to have one of those apps that clears all caches for you as well as a backup app, both of which require root. I'm also looking to add maybe two more homescreens to my droid, I'm finding that three just isn't enough anymore. That being said, I'm looking for a ROM that meets a few qualifications:
Stable
More than 3 homescreens
Hopefully not too hard to install (I've never rooted or installed a custom ROM before)

Lastly, and this might be a silly question, is there any ROM that is close enough to the standard that I could still get the OTA 2.1 update when it rolls out?

jjenson

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
There are lots of good roms my personally experience is Koush's Rom is the best for me. It is running 2.1 already so there would really be no need to do the update when it is rolled out. It offers all the screens very quick transitions and have had no issues with it at all.

I would give that a try but really I think you will be hooked and not want to go back to default at least this has been my experience.

white_star_32

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
droidmod or rom manager are probably your easiest options - they'll root your device, flash your recovery, and download and install your rom. if you want the 2.1 OTA update then you don't use Rom Manager because it IS 2.1. DroidMod will return you to stock easily and then you can download the update. I don't think you'll get the update notification while running DM tho.

i personally would load up Koush's Rom Manager and forget the 2.1 update.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I third all these people. ROM Manager and Koush/Cyanogenmod are the most stable, especially for 2.1.

You can also try just DroidMod, for a simple 2.0.1, or Bugless Beast.

There are a lot of threads that explain which is which. Also try alldroid.org or droidforums.net.

Personally, I am using Koushs 2.1. ROM Manager allows you also to throw on BB and Ultimate Droid (my previous favorite).

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
You might have to re-download it.

But then again, most ROMs come with Swype beta already installed. I don't know if Koush 2.1 does, but I do know that Ultimate Droid does.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
+1 for Koush/CM 5.0.5.3. Switched from Bugless Beast and haven't looked back. Only thing I see myself switching to is the Desire SenseUI port when they get it stable.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
i would say avoid koushs rom doesn't play nice with other backups or some apps. AdamZ 6.0.1 ROM is the top dog.real simple to install plus lots of options.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
:
Stable
More than 3 homescreens

Install Helix, it's stable, gives you more than 3 homescreens and runs on stock

:
Lastly, and this might be a silly question, is there any ROM that is close enough to the standard that I could still get the OTA 2.1 update when it rolls out?

If you go the Helix route then you don't even need to worry about it. However if you go with a ROM, then make sure you take a backup of your current stock 2.0.1 before installing any ROM. That will ensure that you can restore back to stock if you like and get the OTA(which is my plan as well)

ethan

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Install Helix, it's stable, gives you more than 3 homescreens and runs on stock

If you go the Helix route then you don't even need to worry about it. However if you go with a ROM, then make sure you take a backup of your current stock 2.0.1 before installing any ROM. That will ensure that you can restore back to stock if you like and get the OTA(which is my plan as well)

Where can I find Helix and a guide to install it? Does it give you 2.1 stuff like the gallery and 3D app launcher?

R

Roy Aguilera

Helix is just a home replacement app. It is not an OS and will not add any OS features. Helix also comes preinstalled on Koush's/Cyanogen's 5.0.5.3 Rom.

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
I like Ulitimate Droid. It is 2.1, all the features (pinch zoom gallery, browser, and maps, has live wall papers, you get up to 7 home screens using helix (built in) Swype is built in, and it runs flawlessly.

PortareAF

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I like Ulitimate Droid. It is 2.1, all the features (pinch zoom gallery, browser, and maps, has live wall papers, you get up to 7 home screens using helix (built in) Swype is built in, and it runs flawlessly.

You've sold me, any idea where to grab the file. I have tried to get it twice both times corrupt.