Looking for an 8-inch tablet with 2048x1536 resolution.

MotoRos

Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
My 8-inch Asus Zenpad Z580C is 5 years old and still running Android 5.0, which can't be updated. I have to keep freeing up memory to play games and it often crashes but it has the best screen resolution (2048 x 1536) I've seen Graphics are sharp and colors are vivid. I am trying to find something to replace it.

Admittedly, I've been spoiled with the displays on my Asus tablet, Galaxy Note 10+ phone, and Surface Pro 6, but I am looking for another tablet with decent screen resolution and can't seem to find one. I bought an 8-inch Galaxy Tab A but might return it because I find the 1280 x 800 display washed out and fuzzy. They are still selling the same model Asus Zenpad on Amazon but it is still running Android 5.0! There's a slightly higher resolution Galaxy Tab with cellular, which I don't need and don't want to pay that much extra for. I'd prefer an 8 inch tablet but would consider 10 inch if I could get one with great screen resolution.

Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got the Lenovo Chromebook Duet, which is 10" and has a resolution of 1900x1200, so not exactly to your specs -- but at $299, it's a great value, and performance when playing Android games has been excellent so far. Also tried some Stadia games as well, which are smooth and highly playable. On top of that, you get the benefit of having a very good Chromebook, with guaranteed Chrome OS updates until June 2028!

The main hurdle is availability -- it's currently only sold through Best Buy and Walmart in the US, and is often sold out. I happened to recheck the Best Buy page last week and just caught it as it came back into stock for less than a day. Ordered it and just picked it up yesterday. Really enjoying it so far!

MotoRos

Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
I just got the Lenovo Chromebook Duet, which is 10" and has a resolution of 1900x1200, so not exactly to your specs -- but at $299, it's a great value, and performance when playing Android games has been excellent so far. Also tried some Stadia games as well, which are smooth and highly playable. On top of that, you get the benefit of having a very good Chromebook, with guaranteed Chrome OS updates until June 2028!

Thanks for mentioning Lenovo. I found an 8-inch one at Verizon with 1920 x 1200 resolution for about $225 but I wasn't able to buy it without also purchasing monthly cellular service, which I don't need. So then I checked the Lenovo website and found the same thing without cellular for $100 less - so ordered that! I hope it's as good as it sounds.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for mentioning Lenovo. I found an 8-inch one at Verizon with 1920 x 1200 resolution for about $225 but I wasn't able to buy it without also purchasing monthly cellular service, which I don't need. So then I checked the Lenovo website and found the same thing without cellular for $100 less - so ordered that! I hope it's as good as it sounds.

Which one did you order, the Tab M8? Lenovo generally makes good budget tablets. They won't blow you away with their specs, but they should get the job done for most everyday purposes.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

The main hurdle is availability -- it's currently only sold through Best Buy and Walmart in the US, and is often sold out. I happened to recheck the Best Buy page last week and just caught it as it came back into stock for less than a day. Ordered it and just picked it up yesterday. Really enjoying it so far!

Ordered one today and should have it in about a week.
Hoping it works well and can sell my iPad Pro.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's a nice side-benefit to play games on a more appropriate device. Playing pinball on the Pixelbook is unwieldy (and it's actually not a particularly smooth experience).

MotoRos

Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
Which one did you order, the Tab M8? Lenovo generally makes good budget tablets. They won't blow you away with their specs, but they should get the job done for most everyday purposes.

Yes, the M8. I ordered it for the 1920x1200 screen resolution, which is the highest I've seen for an 8 inch tablet ( except for my 5 year old Asus). It's supposed to get here tomorrow and I hope it's up to expectations!

MotoRos

Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
Received the Lenovo Tab M8 today (it only took 4 days directly from Lenovo) and it's exactly what I had in the mind. In the picture below (Not sure why it's rotated), the first is a screenshot from my ASUS, the second is the Lenovo, and the third is the Samsung Tab A. You can see a big difference in sharpness and vibrancy between the Lenovo and the Samsung, which I returned this afternoon.

Screens.jpg

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Received the Lenovo Tab M8 today (it only took 4 days directly from Lenovo) and it's exactly what I had in the mind. In the picture below (Not sure why it's rotated), the first is a screenshot from my ASUS, the second is the Lenovo, and the third is the Samsung Tab A. You can see a big difference in sharpness and vibrancy between the Lenovo and the Samsung, which I returned this afternoon.

How is the software on the Lenovo M8? I need a replacement for my Asus Nexus 7 (which is like 7 years old and is on its last legs). I prefer Nexus and Pixel devices with stock Android or as close to it as I can get.

MotoRos

Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
How is the software on the Lenovo M8? I need a replacement for my Asus Nexus 7 (which is like 7 years old and is on its last legs). I prefer Nexus and Pixel devices with stock Android or as close to it as I can get.

Not quite sure what you're asking but it has the basic stock Android as far as I can tell. There doesn't seem to be anything unique to Lenovo. Display is great but performance is mediocre. One of the games I play, Gardenscapes, gets laggy after playing for a while and I have to clear out the memory every so often. It was worse on the Asus though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if you saw my suggestion above, but you may want to consider the Lenovo Chromebook Duet, which I'm really enjoying. Works great as a Chromebook as well as a tablet that can run Android apps/games. And since it's a Chrome OS device, it'll get updates for 8 years, as opposed to Lenovo Android devices which will be lucky to get updates for more than about 6-12 months.

In terms of Lenovo's Android devices -- their UI is generally pretty light. There's usually some degree of bloatware, but it's often uninstallable. (I have an older Lenovo Tab 4 8".)

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Not quite sure what you're asking but it has the basic stock Android as far as I can tell. There doesn't seem to be anything unique to Lenovo. Display is great but performance is mediocre. One of the games I play, Gardenscapes, gets laggy after playing for a while and I have to clear out the memory every so often. It was worse on the Asus though.

Thanks, that's basically what I was asking, whether it's close to vanilla Android (which is what I prefer).

Not sure if you saw my suggestion above, but you may want to consider the Lenovo Chromebook Duet, which I'm really enjoying. Works great as a Chromebook as well as a tablet that can run Android apps/games. And since it's a Chrome OS device, it'll get updates for 8 years, as opposed to Lenovo Android devices which will be lucky to get updates for more than about 6-12 months.

In terms of Lenovo's Android devices -- their UI is generally pretty light. There's usually some degree of bloatware, but it's often uninstallable. (I have an older Lenovo Tab 4 8".)

My use is mainly as an e-reader, browsing website and social media, YouTube, etc. I'm just looking for a tablet I can put on the reading rack on the elliptical trainer while I'm working out, use at the table while I'm eating, etc. The Duet with detachable keyboard might be a little overkill (and Lenovo currently shows it as unavailable), but at that price, it is worth considering. I'm also now considering the Tab M10 FHD Plus. Either the M10 or the Duet would be larger than my Nexus 7, but I'm not psyched about the M8's micro-USB charging port in 2020. The M10 and the Duet both have USB-C.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semskie