Looking to buy a 2013 N7 today, but interested in the Tab Pro 8.4 with black Friday coming up.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I owned a N9 and didn't feel like it was worth 500$ (32gb) so I returned it and was gonna get the N7 but I saw Samsung is having a deal with the Tab Pro 8.4 for only 200$. The reason I'm looking at it is because of the low price and the SD card slot. I owned a N7 2012 and 2013 but my 13' had touch issues so I'm not sure if I wanna get another N7 because I'm scared it will do the same same thing. My problem with the Samsung is that the updates come slow, touchwiz is crap and I've read people complaining about lag. Do you guys think I should just try out the Nexus 7 again or go with the Samsung and save some $?

Posted via Android Central App

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
The only issue that I've noticed with my N7 has been the random reboots. Haven't seen one since upgrading to 5.0 yesterday and before that lately it was two or three a day.

My mom has the tab 10.1 and the newer versions of touchwiz seem better but I still don't like it as much as stock. You can always stick Google now launcher over it I guess.

I'm sad to hear all the negative reviews of the N9. I've been thinking about a second tablet as a media device but nobody makes a nice 9 or 10. Galaxy tab s 8.9 catches my fancy but again touchwiz meh.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd say the Nexus 7. Mine has been flawless, and although there certainly have been issues raised in this forum about the tablet, I'd say that Samsung devices generate more issues and complaints in general, so I tend to shy away from their products.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I'd get the s-tab 10.5 if I got any of the Samsung tabs... I agree with your sentiment on the nexus 9...mine was a pos

Posted via the Android Central App

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
The biggest problem with getting the Nexus is that if you do run into a problem and have to send it in Asus support and customer service is the worst out there.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I would say an n7. Mine is perfect except one little complaint, when I put it down on a table and try to use it the touch screen seems to respond only intermittently. It is fine when holding it however. I think I read that it is a ground issue or something.

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I use my Nexus 7 2013 wi-fi mostly for reading pdf, doc or power point slides. I've been using it for few months and I haven't encountered any problem as of yet. I'm quite satisfied with it so far and I think it is worthy enough for its price.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a N7 2013 and while I am generally thrilled with it, I would like to have a larger screen and a microSD slot (but I'd rather have 32GB internal than 16GB internal + micro). I also refuse to get another tablet without wireless charging since we have 2 smartphones and the N7 in our household and a number of Qi pads throughout home and work. If the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 had 32GB internal storage and wireless charging I'd go for it despite my reservations about the Exynos SoC, capacitive buttons and TouchWiz. If the Nvidia Shield Tablet had Qi charging or a 32GB Wi-Fi version available I'd probably go for that as well.

But the Tab S is overpriced for too little storage and relying on a fragile microUSB port for charging. Same goes for the Tab Pro but $200 for a new unit on BF *might* sway me. I wish Google had refreshed the N7 for 2014 with a slightly larger screen and Snapdragon 800 or 801 and kept the affordable price and 1080P.

So in all likelihood I am going to stick it out with my N7 2013 for another 6-12 months and see what happens. My dream device would be something the size of the Tab S 8.4 with a USB Type-C connector, FWIW.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung seems pretty solid. I know a number of people that have them and like them. But, as you point out it may never get upgraded and there is touchwiz.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I would say an n7. Mine is perfect except one little complaint, when I put it down on a table and try to use it the touch screen seems to respond only intermittently. It is fine when holding it however. I think I read that it is a ground issue or something.

It wouldn't happen to be a metal table, would it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a N7 2013 and while I am generally thrilled with it, I would like to have a larger screen and a microSD slot (but I'd rather have 32GB internal than 16GB internal + micro). I also refuse to get another tablet without wireless charging since we have 2 smartphones and the N7 in our household and a number of Qi pads throughout home and work. If the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 had 32GB internal storage and wireless charging I'd go for it despite my reservations about the Exynos SoC, capacitive buttons and TouchWiz. If the Nvidia Shield Tablet had Qi charging or a 32GB Wi-Fi version available I'd probably go for that as well.

But the Tab S is overpriced for too little storage and relying on a fragile microUSB port for charging. Same goes for the Tab Pro but $200 for a new unit on BF *might* sway me. I wish Google had refreshed the N7 for 2014 with a slightly larger screen and Snapdragon 800 or 801 and kept the affordable price and 1080P.

So in all likelihood I am going to stick it out with my N7 2013 for another 6-12 months and see what happens. My dream device would be something the size of the Tab S 8.4 with a USB Type-C connector, FWIW.

I'm in just about the exact same situation as you, and I'm thinking now of staying with my N7 until Samsung comes out with their next generation of the Tab S 10. I also want wireless charging, but who is making it any more!?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Go into a BestBuy and spend a few minutes with the N7 and Tab S and the answer will be VERY apparent.
apparent that each one is equally good in its own right and that it will really come down to ones personal preference. that is what is apparent to me after owning both Samsung and nexus tablets.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
apparent that each one is equally good in its own right and that it will really come down to ones personal preference. that is what is apparent to me after owning both Samsung and nexus tablets.

Do you mean Samsung and Asus tablets? I wouldn't expect consistent build quality or design properties across Nexus tablets when they're made by several different manufacturers (Nexus 7 '12 & '13 - Asus, Nexus 10 - Samsung, Nexus 9 - HTC).