Love Hate Relationship

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
While I love this phone and am glad I upgraded to this, the experience has been subpar as I am spending increasing amount of time making sure things work (unlike any other android phone I have had) - Samsung Pay, Fast charging issues, WiFi bug to begin with and battery optimization to some extent.

We buy these phones to make our lives easier - not to spend hours of precious time figuring out what to do with issues. I understand there will be issues that come up from time to time but this has had its share in the first 2 months of launch.

Not saying if its Verizon or Samsung hampering the experience - I guess both are at fault to certain extent. Oh well...nothing we can do about it.

macdarwin

May 20, 2014
Visit site
This is why im stucked and love android. Non stop figuring out either my personal taste or issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

DamienP

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I paid my $900 so that I could have a dependable device. The only reason I went up in cost from the $100 phones is they were not dependable. I spend WAY too much time figuring out how to better understand the technology then benefiting from its uses.

It's all an illusion. I wanted a minimum of a 5.7" screen size device that was dependable. I had an LG G Stylo ($150 phone) that so far was no less dependable than this phone. The Note 5 is only sometimes faster, not always. The only clear upgrade I have experienced for the additional $750 is the use of the s-pen and fingerprint sensor.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
While I love this phone and am glad I upgraded to this, the experience has been subpar as I am spending increasing amount of time making sure things work (unlike any other android phone I have had) - Samsung Pay, Fast charging issues, WiFi bug to begin with and battery optimization to some extent.

We buy these phones to make our lives easier - not to spend hours of precious time figuring out what to do with issues. I understand there will be issues that come up from time to time but this has had its share in the first 2 months of launch.

Not saying if its Verizon or Samsung hampering the experience - I guess both are at fault to certain extent. Oh well...nothing we can do about it.

The WiFi bug is a Verizon issue. The Samsung Pay issue is on Verizon and just a few people so far, the fast charging issue is also easily corrected.

There is no android phone that you don't have to set it up for battery optimization.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I paid my $900 so that I could have a dependable device. The only reason I went up in cost from the $100 phones is they were not dependable. I spend WAY too much time figuring out how to better understand the technology then benefiting from its uses.

It's all an illusion. I wanted a minimum of a 5.7" screen size device that was dependable. I had an LG G Stylo ($150 phone) that so far was no less dependable than this phone. The Note 5 is only sometimes faster, not always. The only clear upgrade I have experienced for the additional $750 is the use of the s-pen and fingerprint sensor.

The Note 5 is not faster than the LG G Stylo nor an upgrade from that phone?

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I wouldn't say that your issues are related to Samsung because my Note 5 on T-mobile is perfect.

jlilnc14

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Download DNSet on Google play for the wifi bug. I wasn't able to get wifi on one certain router but after using that app which switches from ipv6 to ipv4, it works now. I had thought Google had fixed that ipv6 bug already, but i guess not.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Is there a thread in here about this bug? I'm on Verizon, but don't think I've run into the problem.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Is there a thread in here about this bug? I'm on Verizon, but don't think I've run into the problem.

Yup, there was a thread about high standby while on WiFi, been a month or so. I'll see if I can find it.

I've seen a couple others that haven't had it in Verizon, but people in all phones on Verizon having it.

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I have the same WiFi bug in vzw. Today I'm carrying my Nexus 6 instead. It causes the battery to drain so quick I have to charge but mid morning. My Nexus doesn't have that issue. I'm hoping for an update to be released soon on vzw. I know it can be better overall

DamienP

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
The Note 5 is not faster than the LG G Stylo nor an upgrade from that phone?

No. It is an upgrade. It is faster but not all the time.
I have been trying to figure it out, but it seems like i was having at least two different problems. One, had a defective device. Two i had an international unlocked device (sm-n920g) on metropcs. If i apply the information i got from a few different website, it would seem that the two best unlocked phones for me on metro would be the Canadian sm-n920w8 and of course the Tmobile sm-n920t.

The LG G Stylo (2gig ram) is way under rated.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Maybe in your opinion. I've never even heard of the thing, so I looked around...poor guy doesn't even have his own thread here in the forums. Quick Google search shows reviews to be marginal at best. Perhaps it's me, but I can't get too excited about a $200 phone. Hell the screen comparison alone should blow you away.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No. It is an upgrade. It is faster but not all the time.
I have been trying to figure it out, but it seems like i was having at least two different problems. One, had a defective device. Two i had an international unlocked device (sm-n920g) on metropcs. If i apply the information i got from a few different website, it would seem that the two best unlocked phones for me on metro would be the Canadian sm-n920w8 and of course the Tmobile sm-n920t.

And I would go with the TMO variant.

First, TMO doesn't put much bloat and so far, isn't removing features like other carriers are doing. There is also an app, Package Disabler Pro and you can disable anything, without root.

Second, TMO sends out updates in a very timely manner. I got my phone on release date and there have been 4 updates already. They are getting out the Google monthly security updates quickly. So far, TMO has been first or second to receive the update each time.

The really big thing, Samsung USA will work on that phone, handle warranty issues etc. They will not do that with international phones. They might now actually repair them, but charge you, and maybe even while in warranty. It used to be, and still could be, they wouldn't even do a repair on an international model even if you did pay them. They just wouldn't touch it.

Warranty problems for Samsung international phones here in the US, just doesn't exist and very possible that paid repair at Samsung Service doesn't exist still either.

From the forums, it seems many less TMO owners are having problems with battery and other issues. A lot of the TMO owners seem to get really good battery life.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I sympathize. My AT&T Note 5 has had none of these problems. It simply works as it should. I'd be annoyed too if I had to expend effort on fixes and workarounds.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance