Loving the Phone hating the camera

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
So I;m still loving this phone, but man is the 8 megapicel camera worthless. I can't get a decent picture out of this phone to save my life. I know I cannot be the only person experiencing this. Are their techniques people are using the get better photos out of their Droid Bionic.

andre2p

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Hello master:

What I noticed so far is that the camera is very susceptible to smudges on the lens. I mean, it is not the iphone camera, but wiping it clean helps me get better pics. They are still under saturated, but not too bad.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't take a lot of pics with my camera on the phone but I will agree, ever since the OG Droid Motorola hasn't done much with their cameras. I have had some luck with this one, some good some bad.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
So I;m still loving this phone, but man is the 8 megapicel camera worthless. I can't get a decent picture out of this phone to save my life. I know I cannot be the only person experiencing this. Are their techniques people are using the get better photos out of their Droid Bionic.

yes, it's a pretty sucky camera. my Storm2 takes far better pics. in low light. the Bionic's camera deserves an "F" rating, IMO. Video is unusable, due to the constant "breathing" caused by the autofocus never settling down.

carzaddict

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
the camera isnt all that great. very grainy, colors are bland.

aside from the camera lens itself...the application is annoying. takes forever to snap the damn picture

focusing...........focusing.....still focusing........a little more focus....im almost focused......ok time to take the picture....wait lemme refocus

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This has been covered a couple of times in different threads. The cam is not great on this phone (I for one believe the cam on my original HTC Incredible is better) but you can tweak the settings and download a few different apps (Vignette is one I've seen mentioned a few times) to help.

beermanmike

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Vignette really helps the camera out alot. Play with the settings and you can get alot better shots, there is a filter for outdoors/vegetation too that saturates the colors a little more.

TallyHo

Junkie
Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I was going to suggest Vignette too. I don't have a bionic, but I do have a DX with 8MP Moto camera. I really think it is the Moto camera app that sucks. I use vignette and I get great photos in the light and dark. Vignette takes a few seconds to process the photo, but it is worth it IMO.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
i went outside this morning and snapped a few pics of sky, plants, and a beautiful hibiscus close up, and must say in bright light, the camera isn't too shabby. low light color saturation is awful, though. IMO. I can't see myself using the video camera much, do to the incessant "breathing" (focus hunting).

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I just learned that in the stock camera, there is a sort-of touch-to-focus feature that might as well have been hidden...when you get the focus box on screen, you can touch/hold and then drag the focus area to anywhere in the frame. Helped me out a little.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I just learned that in the stock camera, there is a sort-of touch-to-focus feature that might as well have been hidden...when you get the focus box on screen, you can touch/hold and then drag the focus area to anywhere in the frame. Helped me out a little.

not sure how hidden it is--i used it within the first few seconds of opening the camera function the first time. :)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My camera works great. The 2 biggest things when using are to make sure the lens is clean and if the light is shining or reflecting into the lens, cup your hand over the top of your phone to shield it from the light. Otherwise, your images will have a ghosting/cloudy/washed out overlay. You're basically creating a lens hood.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been playing around with different modes in the stock app, and downloaded HDR from the market, and am much more pleased with the quality of photos. Now I just need an app for photos needing fast shutter speed.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Ok sorry I had no idea people were replying to my post I need to get some type of email notices set up, But it's good to see some other people are having this problem and this isn't a faulty Droid. I wonder if they will be able to fix this with an OS upgrade or something of that nature. Because I actually use my camera a lot. and * megapixels is a big waste if it is unusable.

nick1020

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Vignette really helps the camera out alot. Play with the settings and you can get alot better shots, there is a filter for outdoors/vegetation too that saturates the colors a little more.

I agree, I use Vignette for all of my pictures and they turn out way better than using the stock camera app. Doesnt help video though :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teneika lee