LTE and 4G modes

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Curious, what determines/causes the phone to switch between 4G and LTE modes?

There seem to be many areas (within Toronto and the GTA) where my Telus LTE Note will drop down to a 4G signal, rather than LTE.

I also noticed that my Note was set to only use 4G mode by default and not LTE. Changed that immediately, but why would an LTE-equipped phone ship with the option disabled? Just to save battery life perhaps?

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I think you meant to to post this in AT&T Galaxy Note. As the international Galaxy Note(N7000) is not a LTE device :)

I suppose so, but this particular forum's name doesn't really identify *which* Note it's for... I had assumed it was a general forum for Note owners and not for a specific model. And for some reason I actually thought the AT&T one was the non-LTE model.. lol.

At any rate, mine is the 717D model of course, and supports LTE. If mods want to move this to the appropriate forum, that would be appreciated.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If no one answered yet, the 4G and LTE are different.

The 4G logo means the phone is connected to a HSPA+ network. The LTE logo means that you are in an area with LTE coverage.

There is still a large void in at&t's LTE network as they have just started rolling it out late last year. They were bolstering the HSPA+ network to be a high speed backbone network when users can't connect to LTE.

At&t still has a long way to go with their network, but they are lighting up LTE as fast as they feel they can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomeoCatcher