LTE is fast but is a battery hog

rdxhd

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow! I was in NYC this weekend and LTE was fast. At La Guardia Airport, I saw 24Mbps download and 16 Mbps upload. In Manhattan, I saw 14Mbps download and 3 Mbps download. However, my battery was not lasting me a whole day more like 10 to 12 hours. Here in Minnesota without LTE I can go 16 hours and still have 40% battery left. Does your battery last you all day in LTE areas? My few days of test may not be so reliable since it was not normal usage for the phone as I was on vacation. But I liked LTE:)

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
LTE is indeed very fast, but agree - kills the battery. Wish there was a way to turn it off, HSPA is just fine for my needs. Probably should have bought the international One X...

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Where I live AT&T does not have LTE service, but I was recently in an AT&T LTE area and all I can say is WOW I am truely jealous of members who get LTE speeds everyday .... I was in Norcross, GA and got speeds of 24mbps down and 22 up consistently :D
Also did not see any excessive battery drain over those 3 days

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Thing is - those kind of speed seem unnecessary to me on a smart phone. Yes, it's great to be able to download 40 MB apps/games in like 10 seconds... but for day-to-day use, I just need Maps and websites to load quickly. I am pretty HSPA does a good enough job for that. I do wish I could disable LTE to help conserve battery use.

joshrodriguez

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Chicago where LTE is almost everywhere, and I still get a full day of use. Yesterday took the phone off of the charger at 6am, put it back with about 14% left at around 12:45am of the next day. And thats with heavy use, exchange email and a lot of facebooking and fantasy baseball checking!

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but ideally I'd have it last for 1.5-2 days, so that if I have a late night and forget to charge it, I still have some battery left for the next day. That's all I'm saying... but wishful thinking of course.

jdt4

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I was recently in Orlando for a week. What killed the battery was not necessarily the LTE but when the phone would be on the fringe of LTE territory and trying to differentiate between 4G and LTE. I noticed when we went outside the city battery would drain more quickly and flip between the two speeds. I got 28 down and 16 up though so it was pretty nice.