Macro image quality Note20U vs. S21U.

kide#WN

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I went to Best Buy today to check out S21U. I don't plan to update from my Note 20U, but my friend asked for opinion about S21 and I decided to take a look.
The S21U looks very nice in black. Very fast and smooth, as expected. The x10 optical zoom looks cool, x100 zoom still not very usable.
But the quality of the macro images made me think. We all know, the close up images taken by the Note 20U regular camera have some blurriness on the edges and only center of the image looks sharp due to large 108 megapixel sensor.
But the close up images taken by the S21U look sharp all way around with the similar size sensor (I know, the sensor was updated for S21U). I didn't notice any blurriness for the main camera in Auto mode. I was taking pictures of the Best Buy Samsung display, mostly information tags. Sorry, cannot provide any samples, as it was a display unit.

Will be interesting to see comparacent reviews between two cameras. I like to take macros, but the Note 20U does not excel in this category. My previous phone was S10+, and the quality of the close up images was much better with 12 megapixel sensor.

Edit: Found an explanation on phonearena: "The Galaxy S21 Ultra doesn't have a dedicated macro camera, but the ultra-wide-angle shooter doubles as one. Not only that, if you have the phone in auto mode, it'll detect when you are getting too close to the subject and automatically swap to the ultra-wide. Oh, also, the ultra-wide lens now has actual autofocus."
Too bad the Note 20U cannot benefit from the same trick, as the ultra wide camera doesn't have autofocus.

Last edited:

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Found an explanation on phonearena: "The Galaxy S21 Ultra doesn't have a dedicated macro camera, but the ultra-wide-angle shooter doubles as one. Not only that, if you have the phone in auto mode, it'll detect when you are getting too close to the subject and automatically swap to the ultra-wide. Oh, also, the ultra-wide lens now has actual autofocus."
Too bad the Note 20U cannot benefit from the same trick, as the ultra wide camera doesn't have autofocus.
Somewhere in that last quoted paragraph (there was much more) - I read the entire article, there was a statement about "the new Macro still being 108 Megapixels BUT having a new, much better laser focusing system to solve the overall focus issues of the past"