Major annoynaces

qqi239

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
IMHO, the biggest problem is that phone application (which is still the major application on this thing) is pretty bad.

1. There is no way to do hands free dialing in the car. Personally, I do not need any fancy stuff, I can even help the thing to learn how do I pronounce names in my call list, but it has to stay on for hours once it is turned on and it should not require any button pushing (IMHO the max acceptable pushing is pressing a button on bluetooth headset to wake it up).

2. When I hang up the phone it switches me to the call log and stays in it forever, who invented this feature???? Once I hung up the phone I want back to the place where it got started - it seems pretty natural for me.

3. The phone dialing keys are way to sensitive, it is way too easy to accidentally call people while scrolling lists, it has to be set lower or adjustable.

Other stuff is of lesser significance but still pretty annoying

1. It is way too easy to switch the phone into airplane or silent mode, while scrolling through setting pages, sensitivity of the settings screens should be set lower or be adjustable of require confirmation for setting change - if they feel that it is cool to always press at least one key in order to dial somebody, I suppose that it should be even cooler to require confirmation on setting changes).

2. On screen key board should use all the space on the screen leaving a tiny small field to see what is being typed, otherwise keys are way too small to be usable by adults.

I suppose there is a huge opportunity here for a 3rd party developers to fix these issues.

isleshocky77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
1. If you hold down the search button in any screen at any time you will get a prompt for voice search. If you state "dial FirstName LastName mobile" it will dial FirstName LastName's mobile phone number

2. I'm not positive about this, I thought when I got a phone call last night while in the music app it switched back to the music app after, if not I might have had to just hit the back button once. A good reason for this would be so you could see how long that call was before hitting back once.

3. Haven't had any issues with this. But I could see a setting for ms before selecting something would be a good addition.

--

1. I'm not even sure what you mean by this.. in order to set airplane and silent mode you have to hold down the power button. How would you do this by accident?

2. They keyboard does fill up all the horizontal space in both landscape and portrait mode. Would you want the keys taller?

Aelther

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Better keyboard uses all of the available space for the keyboard and has wider keys. BK is a bit laggy atm though, and needs an update. I don't think the typos are related to the KB though but the lack of a multi touch keyboard because it's really easy to get ahead of yourself on the v keyboard and miss spaces which cause the autocorrect to miss etc. (That's what the issue is for me anyway)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
1. IMHO I think this phone very easy to dial with hands free... On my storm I had to use quick launch which would have been 3 buttons to push before it would dial. On my tour you could do it with 1 long push using "dial from screen" or 2 if using the short cuts. For a touch screen the droid has short cut for making calls.

2. I might be wrong but I think you only go to the call log screen if you were make an out going call on the droid. Once a get a call I will verify this.

3. I to have hit a key that I did not intend to but it's something I'm getting use to mainly because my only other touch screen phone was the storm where you need to touch and click.

The other 2 issue you listed I like the way the phone is set up to do on both.

qqi239

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
1. Thanks to all for responses and I will give BK a try.

2. On going to call log - I pressed the red hang-up button I will go to call list I simply wait I will go back whatever I was doing before.

3. The only button I agree to press is a button on my bluetooth headset, everything else is way too distractive, way more than pressing a physical button on a regular cell.

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
hands free dialing is easier on this phone than any i've ever used before -- like the previous person noted, simply long press the "search" button on the bottom and say "dial name type" e.g. "dial kevin smith work" and off it goes.

obviously if the phone screen is locked this wont work, but i've never had a phone that would let me do stuff like this when the phone was "locked". the only time i'd need hands free dialing was if i were in the car, and at that point the phone would be in the car dock/mount and the screen would be on. if yours isn't in a mount/dock, then you must already have it in your hand, no?

it only goes to the call log if you placed the call -- if you received the call it goes back to whatever you were doing.

the rest of this is just nit picky stuff that has never even crossed my mind.

i'm fairly sure you can adjust the touch sensitivity, but again, i haven't seen any need to.

i'm with the previous poster, how the heck do you manage to "accidentally" put the phone into airplane mode?

Last edited:

rslaurie

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
With my older Motorola Cell phones I was able to touch the button on my wireless headset and say "call __________" and the phone would dial without even touching the phone. This was very convenient in that I did not even need to handle the phone at all. I could leave it in my pocket, belt clip, in the cupholder of the car.

The older Motorola phones would also let you check the status of the battery, and signal strength through the headset without needing to handle the phone.

Don't get me wrong I love the Droid, but this was a convenience that Motorola already had in other phones. Seems odd they left it out of this one. Or if is built in, can anybody tell me how to turn it on?

white_star_32

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
i would really love the handsfree aspect to be improved on. yes...the voice commands are very easy, and it is workable. but it would be great if i could just click my bluetooth/headset and prompt the voice dialing. i mean...my old razrs did it. and my rizr.

o_0

as far as the keyboard - i've loved using the keyboard. the only thing i could complain about is that it isn't multitouch...that would speed up the typing as aelther said. i just take my time, only other time i've had typos is in portrait mode...it is a little tight

amandafaye

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I dunno if this is your issue, but there is an App called "Not Call Log" that allows you to go back to the home, dialer, or "other" screen after a call ends instead of call log. I like this because, especially while driving, I kept accidentally calling people after ending a call.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kooglmebtch08