Making the switch from iPad Mini to Android..help me pick a 7 inch tablet please =)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd say the nexus 7 (2013) that will be able to handle the games you play, is relatively cheap, and will always be up to date with the latest version of android since it is a nexus device. Plus it has a really nice screen, with one of the highest pixel density on the market for now. Plus I never had any build quality issues on my nexus 7 2013 (last years model was another story). But if you take that out, the only thing left would be an 8" LG Gpad, since it has better build quality, and you can also get a Google Edition one.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
EVGA Tegra Note 7 is an awesome tablet for the price and performance. The only downside is that it looks kind of wonky.

Acer just came out with 7 and 8 inch Android tablets. The 8 inch is okay since it has a Clover Trail processor and the body is made from aluminum, but the 7 inch is just junk, stay away from it.

Psxsage

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
while I appreciate all the help and feedback im sorry but the nexus 7 is a dead issue. while the internet may be negative I fail to believe the ENORMOUS multitude of complaints about ghosts touches and phantom touches etc and heat issues with the nexus 7 are just "made up" In addition should anything go wrong with it ASUS has some of the worst customer support in the industry bar none. in addition I'm not sure weve used the same tablet? I have used the 2013 model before and truly it felt more like a toy than a gadget in my hands,cheap Samsung style plastic,the screen due to the gumminess feel it had I assume again is held on by 50 cent double sided tape like the 2012 was it feels like pushing on gel sort of? and the device gets uncomfortably warm after 3d gaming or heavy HD use compared to My iPad mini kindle fire HD or previous Samsung tablets of old. I appreciate some of you are happy with the nexus 7 but I find it outside of its specs to be a piece of garbage so please respect that and eliminate it from the conversation cheers. thank you again for the suggestions thus far. a friend also recommended the dell venue 8 which I'll look at soon with the lg g pad.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
while I appreciate all the help and feedback im sorry but the nexus 7 is a dead issue. while the internet may be negative I fail to believe the ENORMOUS multitude of complaints about ghosts touches and phantom touches etc and heat issues with the nexus 7 are just "made up" In addition should anything go wrong with it ASUS has some of the worst customer support in the industry bar none. in addition I'm not sure weve used the same tablet? I have used the 2013 model before and truly it felt more like a toy than a gadget in my hands,cheap Samsung style plastic,the screen due to the gumminess feel it had I assume again is held on by 50 cent double sided tape like the 2012 was it feels like pushing on gel sort of? and the device gets uncomfortably warm after 3d gaming or heavy HD use compared to My iPad mini kindle fire HD or previous Samsung tablets of old. I appreciate some of you are happy with the nexus 7 but I find it outside of its specs to be a piece of garbage so please respect that and eliminate it from the conversation cheers. thank you again for the suggestions thus far. a friend also recommended the dell venue 8 which I'll look at soon with the lg g pad.

Lol I really don't know what you're complaining about or where you got all these criticisms from. I hear nothing but praise about the Nexus 7 on the internet wherever I go (unless I visit an Apple forum). I've personally used two Nexus 7 2012's - one a 32 GB with HSPA+ and another just a 32 GB, both with zero issues and great build quality.

The 2013 Nexus 7 is even better than the original when it comes to build quality, although not as comfortable to hold. The GPU never gets uncomfortably warm as you describe it, even after hours of gaming. In fact that's one of the aspects that I enjoyed about the 2013 Nexus 7, that the GPU stayed cool and comfortable the entire time, unlike my Nexus 10. Ultimately I ended up returning my 2013 Nexus 7 after a week because I had no room for two 7 inch tablets and a 10 inch tablet.

While we're on the subject of Asus, I built my first PC 5 years ago with an Asus motherboard and never had an issue with it. I have an Asus laptop and it's definitely one of the best purchases I've ever made. I've never had a problem with Asus. In fact, I think they're one of the few manufacturers that try to innovate and push the boundaries of what we expect from our devices, and the quality of their products is definitely within the Six Sigma standard.

Psxsage

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
it does not take more than a 2 second Google search to find numerous threads both here and in XDA and android authority android police etc..not too mention Asus own forums the problem is indeed so large the google play market even has apps designed to test the screen for such issues now. in addition ASUS as a company I find to have some of the worst made worst serviced products around. I've had laptops from them tablets from them mother boards from them etc and near all of them end up dying pretty maturely to any other brand I buy and If the issue is within warranty the support is like....well itd be easier trying to get help from someone you bought something off of craigslist from,after the plethora of quality issues ASUS caused with the 2012 Nexus I was shocked they were allowed to do the 2013 (and was a big reason I held off on moving to an android tablet) among the research I've done this far I'm glad I stuck to my gut and avoided the 2013 all together. generally that's what Asus reputation is throughout the industry though high performance at low prices but made very poorly with cheap parts,manufacturing processes and so forth.

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
have a look online for the HP slate 7 and see if that suits your needs.. 😉

sent from my Nexus 7 ultimate modded edition ;)

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I love my LG G Pad 8.3! I think you will like the build with it's metal back, plus it is still thin and light. It uses the Snapdragon 600 instead of the 800 to keep the heat down and as far as I can tell it works. I haven't done any battery test butit seems to be very good (hasn't come close to dying on me but I like to charge when I'm not using it). Plus if you are one of those guys that cares, it does have a SD card slot.

Psxsage

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
seen that one (hp slate 7)great build quality but horrible screen and noticeably laggy. shame too I like the feel and build to the device and they didn't over mod android either.

Hurrycanejohn

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
There is the 8" Tab 3 but again it is Samsung so it will be laggy which takes it out of the equation.

I have a Tab 3 8.0 and I don't find it to be laggy at all......now the Tab 2 7.0 was a different story, Most folks look at the screen res specs of the Tab 3 8.0 and dismiss it without actually checking out the screen in person. Doing so is a big mistake......I've had my Tab 3 for several months and it does everything I need. Battery life is great and the screen is bright and vibrant, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Posted via Android Central App

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i've never seen an ipad mini in person, but i must say if the build quality is as you say, boy it must be special. in all seriousness, while i am an android fanboy, i do admire apple. but as you'd rather die than have an asus product, i'd rather die than have an apple. :)

i've heard good things about the LG, but imo 8 inches is too large. but it is an option as is the galaxy note 8. if money was not an issue, i'd love to have something in the note line.

one tablet that i'd sure take a look at is the nook hd 7. the screen is superb. the build quality is superb. takes an sd card. is reasonably priced. its operating system is set up to place an emphasis on reading, but beyond that user interface, it has it all. imo, since you could probably pick one up for about 100 bucks, that is what i'd buy. if for no other reason than to wait till you find something that you really want.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with the LG gpad and the galaxy tab 3 8 incher. About the size of the iPad mini and pretty good devices. Samsung is supposedly announcing their new 8.4 inch tablet at ces (rumored) but that would initiate a wait for you and you'd like a tablet soon. Maybe get something on the cheap side or take back that iPad mini until something "awesome" comes out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Id really hate to have to upgrade to the mini retina as I hate buying for two ecosystems..is the shoddy build of the nexus 7 truly the best for quality right now? Even the fire HD Trumped the nexus 7 2012 in quality
Anandtech seemed impressed with the quality:

"I really like the Nexus 7. It?s easily the best small Android tablet I?ve ever used. The build quality is great"
AnandTech | The Nexus 7 (2013) Review

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The nexus 7 has a very nice screen and it is fast. But it does have weird problems with not registering my touches at times and feels laggy at times. Since it's the first and only android device I have, I don't know if it's a nexus thing or an android thing.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I never saw a tablet with a flash. Few people use their tablet as a camera and they usually have a phone in their pocket with a better camera (with a flash) anyway. So that's not a shortcoming of the N7. I have one too and highly recommend it. Using it now to post this reply. Most sources seem to agree that the N7 is the best small tablet you can buy. Kindle Fire might have marginally better hardware, but is hopelessly crippled by their proprietary OS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The Acer A500 had a flash. It seemed to get little love but it was only one with an on-board USB host port (like on a computer and can be used to keep a phone topped up or copy pics off a camera to the tablet), plus it had a Micro SD slot for storage expansion and a micro HDMI for output to TV. I still run mine. It lags from time to time but it still runs great (on ICS, get my Kit Kat fix from my Moto X).

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a mini (original) but if I were to choose an Android tablet OTHER than a Nexus 7 I would get the Galaxy Note 8. I LOVE the stylus functions! However, I'm not sure how long ago that came out. If it's due for a refresh I would wait a tad longer-- you're bound to get a faster processor and slimmer bezels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Zetaprime

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a mini (original) but if I were to choose an Android tablet OTHER than a Nexus 7 I would get the Galaxy Note 8. I LOVE the stylus functions! However, I'm not sure how long ago that came out. If it's due for a refresh I would wait a tad longer-- you're bound to get a faster processor and slimmer bezels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I never switched. I use both an iPad Mini 2 and a Nexus 7 (2013).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky