Making the Switch from IPhone 6+-->Note 8--Questions

gmagnes1@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Info on any of these questions that you might have something to suggest would be appreciated:

1--Manual--Recommendations for best Guide(s)/Manuals for current version of Android and/or Note 8 specifically

2--Apple Music--Will I be able to continue to use my subscription to Apple Music

3--Itunes--Will I be able to continue to access movies/videos from the ITunes Store

4--Apple TV--Will I be able to continue to use Apple TV as a streaming device

5--SIM Card--I want to purchase unlocked phone and use AT&T as provider. Can I just switch my current SIM card from IPhone 6+ to Note 8? Do I need to register it in some way with provider or something else? Will I be able to switch out the SIM with a local SIM when I travel in Europe/Israel?

6--Deals--Can someone help me with recommendations for best Black Friday type deal--Having trouble sorting through all of the various offers--looking for simple $150-$200 price reduction (no gift card type thing) + anything else that might be offered

7--Micro SD--I'm assuming all micro SD's are not equal. Any specific recommendations for what to look for in choosing SD or specific brand/models? Looking for 125 GB. Am I correct that I can switch out (i.e., go back and forth) SD's?

8--Chargers--Recommendations for wireless chargers and /or fast chargers

9--Anything Else--Any other things I need to do or be aware of in switching? I am aware that I need to shut down my iMessage app before switching. Anything Else. Is there an Android app that helps in moving data or easing the process in some way?

Thanks for any info or suggestions you can offer for any of these questions/issues

Gerry

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Gerry,

Let's see if we can help.

1) AC has a lot of helpful guides, but in the end, truth is there's no 'official' one that I know of. The phone will do a good job of explaining things as you go, but if you've used a smartphone before, you'll get the gist of it pretty easily.

2) Yes, Apple Music is available on Android.

3) Yes, you can still sync those to your device.

4) Not sure, but most likely, nope. At least not on stock since Android, obviously, doesn't support AirPlay. HOWEVER, there are Apps on the Play store that allow you to mimic that and stream to AirPlay (like AllCast). It won't be as 'smooth' as from an iPhone as you'll have to deal with a 3rd party app, but possible nonetheless.

5) Depends on the carrier. Some require you to call them to register the device, but most will work by just popping the SIM card in. Some features, however, might not be available like WiFi Calling or Visual Voicemail. Again, depends on the carrier.

6) Hard to find one of those on an unlocked model, but SlickDeals would be a good place to look. Samsung.com currently has some deals going on, but not sure if the Note 8 is/will be a part of their Black Friday/Cybermonday deals.

7) Just stick to brand names (SanDisk, Samsung, Sony, etc.) and you should be fine. Just remember, SD Cards are finicky even with good brands, so don't keep there anything that you haven't backed up elsewhere or to the cloud. In Android, you can no longer fully install apps onto SD Card (since, again, they're unreliable). You might be able to move some parts of it to the card, but the main app files will reside on your phone. Coming from an iPhone, this wouldn't be a problem for you, so just use the SD card for media consumption and you should be fine. I STRONGLY recommend you don't save your camera pictures to the card unless you've backed them up elsewhere. Trust me on this one.

8) Samsung's own are pretty good, obviously, but expensive. There are plenty that are very good and cheap from brands like Anker. Just check the reviews for the one you like and you should be good. There are some recommendations on the AC Blog or being sold on the store, if you want to narrow it down, but most ones with good reviews in Amazon should do.

9) Just be patient with the learning curve. It's a lot easier now than it was before, but you'll still struggle to adjust. And remind your contacts if you do texting that you're gonna be a green bubble now, so any group chats that you were previously engaged in when in iMessage will have to be restarted or you won't be able to get those messages. As for the app, Smart Switch will help a lot in transferring stuff from your iPhone to the Note. iMessages, again, are locked down and cannot be transferred.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Great information provided above but just to add a little;
You can go to Samsung's website, support, select device and view/download the complete user guide. YouTube is a great source for hands on and tutorials, lots of good ones there. With Att you can just swap your sim and be good to go. Lastly, bestbuy is running a black Friday $150 off the unlocked model, deal may be good longer but you'll have to check.

Cmguerra

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
1. I would also suggest going to YouTube and watching the tips and tricks videos. Those will get you started and some videos will take you into advanced tips. You might want to also specify the tips you want because there can be a broad range of videos (bixby tips, new to android tips, customize tips, optimize tips, camera tips, battery tips etc.) here is an example of one for your Note 8 https://youtu.be/OoCNSIai7mk

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
1. There is a pdf of the official manual you can download. Useful. After that, go through some youtube's and articles like above.
8. I have the samsung fast wireless charger (free promo during pre-ordering), Ikea nordmarke is nice looking and good price, and belkin. All work well
9. Buy a case prior to ordering phone.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi OP
There is a User Manual that is accessible right from the N8. The link in settings takes you to Samsung online to a full user manual.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
To transfer data from an iPhone to a Samsung, use SmartSwitch. Easiest way. It can restore an iTunes backup to your Samsung using the desktop version (PC and Mac), or real time wired or wireless transfer from an iPhone to the Note 8.

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I Recommend getting google cloud sync I think it was called.

Lets you sync every song to your Google Music account if you use ITunes. I have every song I paid or, downloaded or ripped off a CD available to me in the cloud. So I make a killer playlist and download it when on wi-fi so I can have my personal music run without data,

Anything new I purchase is automatically uploaded as well.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I Recommend getting google cloud sync I think it was called.

Lets you sync every song to your Google Music account if you use ITunes. I have every song I paid or, downloaded or ripped off a CD available to me in the cloud. So I make a killer playlist and download it when on wi-fi so I can have my personal music run without data,

Anything new I purchase is automatically uploaded as well.

Might be wrong, but wasn't that a feature of Apple Music as well (having your purchased songs accessible for streaming)?

Play Music does allow you to upload your files and have them accessible for streaming, even with the free account, so that's a good option if data caps aren't a constraint.

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
really? huh I don't pay and I was able to download a few songs off the cloud for later listening.

Most of my music is back from the Computer Herpes Days of lime wire. so I liked this because I was able to even get the songs from then up there without ITunes deciding I didn't pay for it

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
really? huh I don't pay and I was able to download a few songs off the cloud for later listening.

Most of my music is back from the Computer Herpes Days of lime wire. so I liked this because I was able to even get the songs from then up there without ITunes deciding I didn't pay for it

Yeah, I thought Apple Music (paid tier) allowed you to do that at least with iTunes-purchased songs, but I know that Play Music allows you to upload I think like 30,000 songs for free and then you can download for offline listening or stream from any device or browser. Pretty neat to compliment your streaming options with songs that might not be available online for most services. I only wish you could mix streaming from Spotify and those from Play Music, but one can dream haha

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Ok, Instead of starting another thread I'm gonna resurrect this old one. Don't ya love it. I have gone over to the dark side as of late. I have an iPhone 8 Plus now. I was on ebay and found a steal on a brand new Samsung S7 Edge. In a moment of weakness and flushness of cash I bought it. I have everything on the transfer covered except for the message thread. Has there been any advancements in technology to transfer the iMessages over? Going sms to iMessage there's a method. Thanks in advance.

John.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
(Note that iMessage is the service based on Apple's proprietary Apple Push Notification Service protocol and should not be confused with Apple's iOS or OS X messaging app, which is called Messages. The Messages app supports iMessages and standard SMS or MMS service. )

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3121272/mobile-apps/apples-imessage-finally-grows-up.html

3) Prepare for iMessage weirdness:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/09/18/how-to-switch-from-ios-to-android/

Apple needs two more Android apps (business to customer chat - B2C) and universal message app.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3251745/android/apple-needs-two-more-android-apps.html

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
(Note that iMessage is the service based on Apple's proprietary Apple Push Notification Service protocol and should not be confused with Apple's iOS or OS X messaging app, which is called Messages. The Messages app supports iMessages and standard SMS or MMS service. )

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3121272/mobile-apps/apples-imessage-finally-grows-up.html

3) Prepare for iMessage weirdness:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/09/18/how-to-switch-from-ios-to-android/

Apple needs two more Android apps (business to customer chat - B2C) and universal message app.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3251745/android/apple-needs-two-more-android-apps.html

Thanks for the interesting reading. Still doesn't answer my question. The iMessages are what I want to bring over. The message threads I have with other iPhone users, of which is everyone save for a handful of individuals not on iOS. The regular sms messages must be saved somewhere on my iTunes backup. Are the iMessages saved anywhere locally? At one time it was. Maybe that was before the article first referenced was published.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site