Managing Sounds & Volume

robshobs

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
After years of using Windows Phone, I've decided to move to Android and started using a Galaxy S7. Over the past two months I have been adjusting to a different way of doing things but am still bugged by a few things. This post is about managing sounds and am hoping to find some solutions.

1. Silence text message - I have a long ringtone for text message and when a message comes in, I cannot silence the phone by pressing the volume or power buttons. The only two ways I've found to stop the sound is either, 1) swipe the message away from the lock screen, or 2) unlock the phone, open message app, open the text message.

All my Windows Phone would stop the sound by touching a hardware button. My son has an LG android phone and he can silence a text message by pressing a hardware button. Is there anything to be done with the S7?
  2. Adjust volume with screen locked - the only way to adjust the ringtone volume is to turn on the phone, unlock the phone, adjust the volume, then turn off the phone. The extra steps of unlocking and turning off the phone seems unnecessary. No, I'm not being lazy. I like being able to quickly silence my phone, right after it makes a sound, by just pressing the volume button.

I'm pretty sure this one is just a matter of adapting to the new phone. However, solving my first question would make this annoyance less of a problem.
  3. Mute notifications - while some apps have an option to set the notification sound to silence, many do not. I really like the NFL Mobile app and seeing the banner notifications. But I do not like getting sound notifications. Is there any way to mute these notifications? I tried turning on Hide on Lock Screen, hoping it would be muted while the phone is locked, but the notification still makes a sound. I've had to turn off notifications in several apps, which is unfortunate because it removes one of the best features.

I appreciate any insight you may have.

Rob

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I can't help with #1.

#2 - Just press the power button, no need to unlock the phone. Most of the time when I'm adjusting the ring/notification volume it's while the phone is still locked. Just press the power button and then the volume button for the direction you want the change to be. This in a Nexus 6P, though it seems my Samsung tablet works as you describe for your S7. Your experience may be a Samsung thing rather than an Android thing.

#3 - If you want NO sound for that app, you can select "none" on the sound selection screen in that app's notification settings.

robshobs

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
hallux - thanks for the reply.

#2 - must be an S7/Samsung thing because the volume cannot be changed until the phone is unlocked.

#3 - the problem is the app has no sound setting for notifications. The only control is on/off for each notification type. I was hoping there was a way in the android notification settings to turn off sound and vibrate but keep the banner.