Maps running at 53% CPU

carzaddict

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
for as long as ive had the phone, google maps has been running at 50-53% CPU usage......even when im not using it. Ive disabled all the GPS, ive disabled Latitude, ive forced closed it a million times (it doesnt actually close)

i think its one of the reasons my battery is dying so fast.

anyone have any solutions?

tazcordo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Did you try restarting your phone. I had the same problem. I just powered it down, then restarted it. Haven't had the issue since.

jetguat

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Using the Bionic.
Same deal. Maps is usually at about 50%. I used to be that "cell standby" was the highest CPU at about 40%. I've noticed that Maps has had a number of updates in the past two weeks. Maybe something is wrong with it.

I have also tried turning off the GPS. I dont use latitude. and I have powered off/on the phone.

I'm considering uninstalling Maps and then turning it back on.
I will admit. One day I tried using the Maps "live wallpaper". My phone was dead by
morning after being fully charged at about 1am. So the live wallpaper chewed through the battery.
I am not using a live/motion wallpaper anymore.

xxtdxx

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Go into the task manager and select Maps for auto-end. It will automatically close the program 2 minutes after your screen turns off.

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Using the Bionic.
Same deal. Maps is usually at about 50%. I used to be that "cell standby" was the highest CPU at about 40%. I've noticed that Maps has had a number of updates in the past two weeks. Maybe something is wrong with it.

I have also tried turning off the GPS. I dont use latitude. and I have powered off/on the phone.

I'm considering uninstalling Maps and then turning it back on.
I will admit. One day I tried using the Maps "live wallpaper". My phone was dead by
morning after being fully charged at about 1am. So the live wallpaper chewed through the battery.
I am not using a live/motion wallpaper anymore.

if you just uninstall the updates to maps, you should be good to go. and be sure to go to the market and unselect auto update.

SonicJoe

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Go into the task manager and select Maps for auto-end. It will automatically close the program 2 minutes after your screen turns off.

I actually would recommend against this. I recently came upon this issue and the only change I made was to auto-end maps. I removed it from the auto-end list and it immediately began to improve. If you set it to auto-end or manually kill it, I think it keeps restarting, which causes more battery drain that leaving it alone.