Maxx or S3?

OrionAntares

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
My contract just came up for renewal for VZW so now I'm looking to move from my Pre to an Android phone. I was wondering if anyone could help me determine which might be a better choice, the Maxx or the S3, based on their experiences with the Maxx and Android in general? Thanks.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Things to consider...
SG3 will have a better camera and UI.
Maxx will have better battery life.
SG3 will have a different chip than the international version. If it runs anything like the international version, it will be pretty fast. My Maxx is pretty fast, but I experience lag from time to time.
Not to mention selecting icons on the homescreen don't work 100% of the time. That annoys me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have the Maxx and I LOVE the Droid family of phones. But it's hard to counsel against brand new tech. If I were you, i'd go SGS3 even though you can't really go wrong with the Maxx either.

Jack33

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Love my Maxx. Came From BB Curve, then DINC and DINC2. Apart from battery, I just wanted to try a new phone than htc brand. Love the strong radio signal of Moto, in which I'm getting bars at places I couldn't with htc.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of turned off of Samsung phones right now due to the poor signal. I had a Nexus but had to switch to the Maxx. Just in the same room in my house My Nexus (I went thru 4) signal rarely was as low as 83 dbm it normally fluctuated from around 93 up to 120. Traveling to the next town over I suffered thru 57 % cellular signal loss.
My Maxx stays between 76 and 83 in the same room and on the same trip sees a whopping 2% cellular signal loss. I liked the Nexus and would have liked to try the 3,but until Sammy fixes its poor signal it isn't feasible in this area..

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I also came from a Nexus to the Max and I do NOT regret my decision at all. Yes the S3 will probably come with ICS, but its also going to have touchwhiz on it. When the Maxx gets the ICS update the motoblur skin will be almost invisible according to the latest videos.

The radios on the Nexus are the worst I have ever seen, dropped calls, could not make or receive calls or text messages. No such issues with the Max at all. If Motorola makes the next version of the Nexus phone I may take a look at it.

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of turned off of Samsung phones right now due to the poor signal. I had a Nexus but had to switch to the Maxx. Just in the same room in my house My Nexus (I went thru 4) signal rarely was as low as 83 dbm it normally fluctuated from around 93 up to 120. Traveling to the next town over I suffered thru 57 % cellular signal loss.
My Maxx stays between 76 and 83 in the same room and on the same trip sees a whopping 2% cellular signal loss. I liked the Nexus and would have liked to try the 3,but until Sammy fixes its poor signal it isn't feasible in this area..

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

This is the reason that I am looking at this forum. I own a nexus and I love the phone with exception of signal strength. I was at the St. Louis zoo today and I didn't have a signal for 50% of the time there. My daughter who has my old bionic had great signal along with my wife and her iPhone.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
This is the reason that I am looking at this forum. I own a nexus and I love the phone with exception of signal strength. I was at the St. Louis zoo today and I didn't have a signal for 50% of the time there. My daughter who has my old bionic had great signal along with my wife and her iPhone.

Wow kinda surprised at signal loss being that high in the forest park area. I figured mine was due to the rural /semi rural area I live in. I'm about 70 miles east of St Louis in Southern Illinois.

I know some people don't like Motorola phones but this Maxx like my X and OgDroid before it has no signal problems in this area.

yellowcanary73

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I also traded my G/N in for a Maxx and could not be happier. Will not go back to a Samsung unless its proven they have fixed their radio problem. Not to mention this thing has awesome battery life and once it receives ICS no better phone. I looked at some of the leaked pictures of ICS and Motor Blur combined and really was impressed.

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally like Motorola phones better always and I love my maxx I also like samsung phones just never as great also im not sure if this is your case but for me im in school and having my max I don't have to carry my laptop all I need is ny lapdock

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
In addition, the s3 likely has Samsungs crappy antennas which means poor reception.

I've been curious about the radio thing on the older GSII. I don't remember hearing about it having the same radio problems as the Nexus. Can someone comment on that one? If the GSII didn't have the issues and subsequently the GSIII doesn't either, then it should be a really good choice. However its a difficult thing to make these choices without having the phone in hand isn't it? Good luck:)

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've been curious about the radio thing on the older GSII. I don't remember hearing about it having the same radio problems as the Nexus. Can someone comment on that one? If the GSII didn't have the issues and subsequently the GSIII doesn't either, then it should be a really good choice. However its a difficult thing to make these choices without having the phone in hand isn't it? Good luck:)

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

I believe it is because most of the gs2's are on GSM network and Samsung has had better luck with GSM radios. This nexus is my first and last Samsung device until I'm sure that the radios work well on a cdma network.

Reactions: rbess1965

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Still Samsung's phones have weaker radios and on cdma networks they are worse but if you live in area with fewer signal I would go with maxx because Motorola has stronger radios

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
If you watch some of the SGIII video reviews they are already saying that the earpiece and ringer volumes are low. This is a major problem with every Samsung I have owned including the GNex. I can't stand it anymore. I need to be able to hear my phone ring or hear a notification for a text message and also be able to hear the person I am talking to. I would stay away from the SGIII and wait to see what the Raxr HD offers.we already know that the radios and volume will be better than the competition.

lordwalker

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Price vs. New Tech and Software

You can get a Maxx for $99 or a SIII for $249, if you want to sign a two year contract with a carrier.. However, the Maxx is allready outdated. The SIII comes with ICS installed and Verizon has been promising ICS for the Maxx for 8 months now, which I'm starting to doubt will happen in 2012.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isaacmause