Maxx stolen, help me choose my next phone

whitehat09

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Not really a "maxx" thread but the title says it. I've been on vacation this past week and my buddies car was stolen with my phone inside, the car was recovered but everything was cleaned out of it.

I'm not terribly familiar with all the VZW phones available right now so I'm hoping the community can help guide me. Here are the features I'm looking for:

1. Must be VZW 4G LTE compatible
2. Must be a global phone (I travel a lot for work)
3. Must have "good" battery life (I thought the Maxx battery was great)
4. I'd really like it to have screen mirroring functionality like MHL, Miracast, etc. (I still have a Motorola lapdock I'd like to use, I used Miracast with Maxx for this)
5. I'd also like it to have root/unlocked boot loader capabilities but not necessary
6. Would like it to be lollipop upgrade able

I also still have VZW unlimited data so I will be buying the phone out of contract, not opposed to new or slightly older phones (like S5 age). Or are there any rumored devices that I should hold out for? In the immediate future I'll be switching back to my old Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

And a little more about the "screen mirroring" feature. It seems like a lot of manufacturers are dropping MHL/Miracast for just Chromecast. I have not experimented with the mirroring functionality of Chromecast. Does it work similarly to the others (does it mirror everything or can it only do certain apps). Also, I did try using the Chromecast with the lapdock (from Maxx) and had resolution issues. This is why I was preferring MHL/Miracast or similar.

Thank you all for you consideration and help. Also, sorry for format, I typed this from my wife's iPhone (bard).

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is doing a big presentation I believe tomorrow, and should be introducing this year's Moto X. There have been rumors that it will have an adequate battery this time (not Maxx size, but it is supposed to be better than last year's X), and it should be similar close to stock as the Maxx is, plus will come with Lollipop and hopefully will get a quick M update - quicker than a Droid brand phone will.

There is last fall's Droid Turbo still for sale, with the same to better battery life as the Maxx.

I'm not sure about Miracast - I've never used it. I do have a Chromecast, but I have absolutely no need to mirror my phone, so have never tried it. Sorry, can't answer that part.

whitehat09

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I didn't know about Motorola's anticipated announcement. I'll wait and see what they say.

Here are a list of currently available phones I'm considering (in order of most interested):
Galaxy S5
Nexus 6
Turbo

The S5 seems to have everything I need except for the unlocked bootloader (but can be rooted). Would anyone strongly suggest I reconsider?