Media Server Drain

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
I believe that I have narrowed down my battery issue. I did some tweak that seemed to fix my battery life and gave me 4 hours SoT, even 5 at times if I got lucky. Today was going amazing up until I plugged in my earbuds and started to listen to music. Once I played music, GSam showed /system/bin/mediaserver as a huge battery drain. Above android system at times. In my battery stats it shows media server at 1 or 2% usually, and Android system as the biggest user when this drain happens. But when I stopped my music, and selected GSam to record from that time /system/bin/mediaserver system ether didn't even show up as a user, and screen quickly caught up to android system in battery stats. So this has to be a media server related issue, only while listening to music through my stock app. I'm not too sure what to do, as chrome is disabled and stopped, and I've tried every fix I could find on google, xda, and these forums, but when music plays, it quickly catches and drains again. Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Mediaserver can eat up battery if there's a corrupt media file somewhere that is causing the system to scan it over and over again. This issue is easier to troubleshoot on a device with an SD card, since that's where files tend to get corrupted, but since you have an S6, you may have to try deleting all of your media files, then transferring them back again with fresh copies.

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Mediaserver can eat up battery if there's a corrupt media file somewhere that is causing the system to scan it over and over again. This issue is easier to troubleshoot on a device with an SD card, since that's where files tend to get corrupted, but since you have an S6, you may have to try deleting all of your media files, then transferring them back again with fresh copies.

I have factory reset my phone twice now, refreshing with new files each time, but the problem persists only with listening to music

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Where are the files coming from? Are you copying them from an original file on your computer, or downloading them from somewhere on the web? Could it be that one of the original files is corrupt?

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Where are the files coming from? Are you copying them from an original file on your computer, or downloading them from somewhere on the web? Could it be that one of the original files is corrupt?

I deleted all files from my library and started fresh from frostwire and this drain persists. It's only when I'm listening to music, but it doesn't even show in the list if I have music off

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What if you play music from elsewhere, like mp3 files ripped from your own CDs, or mp3 files downloaded from your Google Play Music library (which you'd have to download using your desktop browser first, then transfer to the phone via USB)?

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
What if you play music from elsewhere, like mp3 files ripped from your own CDs, or mp3 files downloaded from your Google Play Music library (which you'd have to download using your desktop browser first, then transfer to the phone via USB)?

I seemed to have fix this by using poweramp instead of my stock music app. I don't know why that'd be since it's using the same music files, same cover art photos, etc..

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
I seemed to have fix this by using poweramp instead of my stock music app. I don't know why that'd be since it's using the same music files, same cover art photos, etc..

I retract this statement. Still terribly drains, and I'm once again at a loss

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could try what I suggested above, then, to see if the problem stems from the files from Frostwire. What happens if you only have mp3 files that you ripped yourself and transferred to the phone, or mp3 files that you downloaded directly from sources like Amazon Music or Google Play Music?

Are the files on Frostwire ones you ripped or obtained from legitimate sources? Or are they from other people, and you can't be sure of the origin? If the latter, then I'd wonder if there's a problem with those files.

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
You could try what I suggested above, then, to see if the problem stems from the files from Frostwire. What happens if you only have mp3 files that you ripped yourself and transferred to the phone, or mp3 files that you downloaded directly from sources like Amazon Music or Google Play Music?

Are the files on Frostwire ones you ripped or obtained from legitimate sources? Or are they from other people, and you can't be sure of the origin? If the latter, then I'd wonder if there's a problem with those files.

Yes, I have tried removing frostwire downloaded songs and only going on songs obtained from legitimate sources. Same problem

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not quite sure why this is happening. You might want to try reinstalling the firmware using Smart Switch. This goes a step beyond a factory reset, because if the current firmware is corrupt, the factory reset will still use that firmware, and therefore won't fix anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroltheresa61