Mediaserver is ruining my Nexus experience

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have a solution to this problem mega battery drain issue. I have location services turned off and always check to make sure that running apps are just the basic Google ones. Spoke with customer service and they suggested reboots and shutting off some Google apps which I have done innumerable times. Here is a typical experience after recharging the battery, I check the running apps and mediaserver is showing at a relatively low percentage, turn off the Nexus. The next morning the battery is down to 81% and mediaserver is running at 83% , power off, turn it back on and now the mediaserver is still at 83% and battery down to 78%. It's terribly frustrating and I'm at a lost at what to do next.

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
What is really perplexing is that I have no pictures, music, or video on the device. Have also stopped Currents every time I see it reappear when I reboot the device. Anyway thanks for the link, the next step I guess will be a factory reset.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
It is weird. Media Server hardly consumes any of my battery, and when it does, I generally know why...playing a lot of YouTube vids, etc. Really wonder why some of us are having this problem.

Posted via Android Central App

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
What is really perplexing is that I have no pictures, music, or video on the device. Have also stopped Currents every time I see it reappear when I reboot the device. Anyway thanks for the link, the next step I guess will be a factory reset.

You know you can disable currents? Not just close the app? Sounds like you are just force closing it if it comes back.

Streaming any movies, YouTube, music? Maybe one of the apps is hanging and mediaserver isn't stopping gracefully?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Not streaming anything, mediaserver is now down to 46% from the high of 83% this morning. Current running apps are settings, DS battery server, Lux, both of these added after the problem started, Google play services which I keep stopping, Google services, Google play music which I also keep stopping and Google keyboard. Available space is 20.95 GB, really don't have that much on the device. Also stopped synch.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Now that you've made changes, keep your WiFi off overnight and see how much your battery drops overnight. And stop force closing stuff.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes the force stopping is a vicious cycle. If you are stopping services and they are needed to say check you email they will restart the next time you open email.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
So I think that the mediaserver issue may be related to how the battery responds to playing games and turning the Nexus on/off. Last night I charged it and this morning no mediaserver appeared. Checked my mail, browsed google play, still no media server. Played a game (True or False) and it first made an appearance at 2%, tried Asphalt 8 and it went up slightly to 4%. Turned it off, checked the battery, it was 8%. Turned it off, checked again, now at 13%.Running apps only showed True or False, stopped it, but mediaserver continues to climb, currently at 15%

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like one of your games is starting the mediaserver service, but then not closing it properly even when the game itself closes. Dunno about a real solution, but a workaround would be to reboot each time you're done playing games.

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Rebooting doesn't seem to be effective anymore.Just tried it and mediaserver is still at what it was before, which is now 30%. Really running out of ideas , going to try a factory reset and if that doesn't solve it, then I guess I 'll have to send it back to Asus.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
No media at all? Screenshots? Pinned Google music? Does asphalt do it alone? I'll buy and try if so. Strange a game could keep doing it after boot. That is why I keep thinking media.

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely no media, have tried to keep things to a minimum till the problem gets solved,if ever does. Asphalt 8 isn't the culprit. Had this issue before I bought the game. Currents turned up again, went into settings and shut off the synch as suggested before, rebooted and mediaserver is still at 28%. Battery is now at 82%, I probably have actually used the device for less than an hour if that today.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely no media, have tried to keep things to a minimum till the problem gets solved,if ever does. Asphalt 8 isn't the culprit. Had this issue before I bought the game. Currents turned up again, went into settings and shut off the synch as suggested before, rebooted and mediaserver is still at 28%. Battery is now at 82%, I probably have actually used the device for less than an hour if that today.
You went from 100 to 82 in an hour?
Did you try charging to 100% and then leaving autosync and wifi off overnight yet? Do that and then see what your battery is at in the morning. You should only drop less than 5% charge total. And tell us. Also do you have that option enabled that allows WiFi scanning even when Wi-Fi is turned off?

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site

Why don't you disable currents instead of turning off synch? Then you won't have to keep doing it.

Settings->apps->all->currents->disable.

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
No that percentage is from this morning when it was fully charged at 100%. Rough estimate is that the device has been in use only about an hour and wifi very little. When I played the games that amounted to less than 10 minutes. Basically been going through various apps and checking the settings. Checked wifi like you suggested and turned off scanning always available, left wifi optimization checked. Turned off Google cards as well, battery down to 78%.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVHauler