Messages has stopped working

Urbanfox

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
My wife has an HTC One M7 and this morning it auto-updated to 4.4.2 and Sense 6.0 (they auto-update?) and now the text app has problems.

Symptoms
1) If the phone is locked and she receives a text, there is no notification, no notification sound, and the text icon does not display a message has been received. If she clicks it, it will show the text.
2) If she receives a text while she is on her phone, she gets the error message "Messages has stopped working"

Solutions I have tried: Force close Messaging, clear cache, clear all threads, and hard restarts.

ANY help would be much appreciated folks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you clear the Messaging app cache, or the system cache partition? Try the latter: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-6526

System updates are supposed to prompt you to accept them. Sometimes, if the user has repeatedly declined them, they might finally update without asking you, but I think that depends on the device.

Urbanfox

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately that didn't work, thank you for the suggestion though. I think at this point we are going to try a 3rd party SMS app before doing a system restore or rom swap.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think your plan of using a 3rd party app and considering a factory reset is the best course of action for now. Good luck!

Urbanfox

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
She ended up using a third-party SMS app, and we just both upgraded to Nexus 6's so all is well that ends well lol.

I did want to say thank you, though, for all your help and responding to my thread. Merry Christmas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37