Messenger goes inactive while phone is idle

A

AC Question

Guys, I've got problem with messenger.
Around half a year ago I've found out, that my messenger acts strange.
When I turn off the screen for some time and come back to open the messenger app - it will show that no of my friends are active.
When I enter any conversation, it'll show no information about how much time ago was the person online.
After 1-3 minutes with messenger opened, it eventually connects and starts getting all old messages received while it went off.
Fast fix so I don't have to wait 1-3 minutes is to restart the app.

Because of that problem I'm not getting new message notifications, or I get them delayed (from 2 do 15 minutes delay).
I've had that problem on my previous phone - Samsung Note 4. Changed the phone and have the same problem on my new Oneplus 3T.

I've disabled battery optimization for facebook, messenger, google services. Still, problem is the same on all my android devices.

Problem doesn't exist on iPhone 6S. Works well and gets notifications instantly.

Need help, I've tried everything :(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. This might be a result of Doze. When an Android device that is 6.0 or higher is left alone for about 45 minutes, the OS starts killing services (Apps, etc) in order to save battery life. When you turn the phone screen on, you are pulling the phone out of Doze, and all those services start pinging their own servers.

Your disabling of battery optimization should ignore Doze to a point, but I think after a while, the OS starts killing those services too.

tompior

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
@Golfdriver: unfortunately, it shouldn't have to do anything with Doze function.
Phone won't go into doze mode while it's moving (it gets data from accelerometer).
My problem with messenger kicks in even if i'm working on my phone (for example, playing games). When I close other app I've used and go back to messenger - it will again be offline, waiting to connect and fetch data.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Facebook has a long history of poor performance of their apps on Android devices. Since they hamstring the ability to use your browser as opposed to their app for general use, and there are still problems with these apps, as popular as they are, it has always raised questions for me on their commitment to service to the end user.

I would like to see FB employ some kind of hook that can utilize a stock SMS app to work though Messenger.