Micro SD card for HTC One (M8)

WFeltman

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
(Posted by IPahWah: "Whatever you buy, don't buy generic brand SD cards. I have already burnt two 64 gb cards... Although not mentioned in the literature, I suggest formatting the sd card to Fat32 in your PC prior to using for better compatibility.)

Only format it with FAT32 if it is an SDHC card. SDXC cards use the EXFAT format. First of all FAT32 will not allow access to the biggest new cards (larger than 32GB), and you will be limited in the size of the files you can store (2GB). For instance, if you want to film long videos on your phone, or back up everything you have to your SD card, you will need to be able to store really big files on the card. You will need to use an SDXC card and it will need the EXFAT formatting.

IPahwa

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
With exfat formatting, M8 does not even recognize most of the sd cards and would not allow you to write on the card. TWRP recovery does not mount the card properly either. You can get away with the exfat/NTFS by using the following:
[MOD][KERNEL MODULE] wp_mod: disable system write protection - xda-developers
I do agree with the 2GB video limit. Most of the times, after recoding and conversion to android format, most of my videos stay under 2GB anyways.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
With exfat formatting, M8 does not even recognize most of the sd cards and would not allow you to write on the card. TWRP recovery does not mount the card properly either. You can get away with the exfat/NTFS by using the following:
[MOD][KERNEL MODULE] wp_mod: disable system write protection - xda-developers
I do agree with the 2GB video limit. Most of the times, after recoding and conversion to android format, most of my videos stay under 2GB anyways.

I just put in a 32 gb card that I formatted with exfat and it works just fine. I can access anything off of it and have no problems storing photos and videos on it and apps on it. I am running stock.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
For all not accustomed to having the luxury of an SD card. You may find yourself accumulating more media on board than before. A really good file manager will be a big help and eliminate the need to connect with a computer.
ES File Manager is one of the best and free in the play store. Have fun.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&token=wJVxhC5i
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

File managers on on stock are pretty much worthless. Kit Kat won't allow them to write or move anything on the external card.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Quick question. I'm receiving my 128gb card tomorrow. Is it ready to use out if the box or do I need to format it?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Likely needs to be formatted. Not sure which format, since there appears to be some debate in here.

I've still got my old 16GB SD card from my original Moto Droid, and was going to use that for my new M8, but then I saw some deals online and decided to get a 32GB micro SD card for $15 shipped (from G.Skill, a reputable brand for other parts, not sure about SD cards...I have G.Skill RAM in my computer and it's always been fine). Looking forward to getting a whole bunch of good space on my phone.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
So I just put my 128GB sdcard in and out works great. The best is that the Make More Space feature is a complete workaround for the ext sdcard issue. I was just able to move 4gb of music to my sdcard without plugging in my pc. And I'm not rooted.

Bangkok Hound

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So I just put my 128GB sdcard in and out works great. The best is that the Make More Space feature is a complete workaround for the ext sdcard issue. I was just able to move 4gb of music to my sdcard without plugging in my pc. And I'm not rooted.

I didn't know about the Make More Space feature for moving items to the SD card. Sure makes things easy! Thanks!

J R Mtz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I didn't know about the Make More Space feature for moving items to the SD card. Sure makes things easy! Thanks!

Hi,

I googled Make More Space and HTC,Android, etc, and found nothing. What exactly is it?
Also, was a consensus reached about formatting the card pre-insertion, or letting the phone handle it?

Thanks

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
File managers on on stock are pretty much worthless. Kit Kat won't allow them to write or move anything on the external card.

Sorry for late reply...

That doesn't matter, because several built in apps allow you to store there,
Camera,
Google Play Music
Sound Recorder
Pocket Casts
Probably a few more I missed,
So the high volume things that take up space can use the external sd card.

If these apps can write there, how long will it take for others to figure it out.?

jtw0188

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I have been told, and looked it up on line, and you just indicated, that the HTC M8 mobile phone can read the Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC card, but it will not read the one I just purchased. Yes, I have tested the port with a 32 GB MicroSD card that works, and Yes, the Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC card works in a Samsung Galaxy S5. But it won't even recognize that I have the SD card in the phone. I have removed and reseated it, too. It just doesn't recognize the card.
Any ideas why?
- revised post - I have the answer. I had been turning the HTC phone off in order to insert the MicroSD card. Just as I unmounted then turned it off to remove the 32 GB MircroSD card. However, the phone needs to be turned and then the Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC card can be inserted to be recognized and prepared. Once that was done, I could erase/format it with the phone and it is recognized and usable.

Last edited: