Microphone, Skype, Voice Recording

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
So from what I've read, the microphone on the G4 is not very good particularly when recording video. But I still can't seem to find information on whether or not that affects regular calling quality (ie the sound of one's voice to the other person), and Skype. Is it an issue for those things as well?

Also if the mic is so bad, and I was to record a lecture at uni (only the sound), would the sound be as bad as when trying to record video?

Thank you!

Carl_L

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Haven't really tried out any type of voice recording yet, so I'm no help there.

However, the G4, like many phones, has options to improve call quality. On the G4 these are noise suppression & voice clarity and are found under >settings>call

I'd suggest that just about everyone checks these options - only heavy business users who want to eek out extended talk-time should uncheck them (but, then again, those sort of users are better off with a good old-fashioned basic phone anyhoos).

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Haven't really tried out any type of voice recording yet, so I'm no help there.

However, the G4, like many phones, has options to improve call quality. On the G4 these are noise suppression & voice clarity and are found under >settings>call

I'd suggest that just about everyone checks these options - only heavy business users who want to eek out extended talk-time should uncheck them (but, then again, those sort of users are better off with a good old-fashioned basic phone anyhoos).

I've heard that sometimes checking these options can actually have the opposite effect (on the G4 anyway), but if they improved call quality for you, then that's something! I'll keep it in mind, thank you!

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
So from what I've read, the microphone on the G4 is not very good particularly when recording video. But I still can't seem to find information on whether or not that affects regular calling quality (ie the sound of one's voice to the other person), and Skype. Is it an issue for those things as well? ...

Your first assumption is incorrect in my opinion. I doubt it is true that the G4's mic is better or worse than others - the mic used when recording video. The G4's mic is fine for voice calls. It's possible to do too much research on things that are difficult to quantify.

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Your first assumption is incorrect in my opinion. I doubt it is true that the G4's mic is better or worse than others - the mic used when recording video. The G4's mic is fine for voice calls. It's possible to do too much research on things that are difficult to quantify.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that there is definitely room for preference and opinion when it comes to this sort of thing. However from what I've seem voices just sound strange (as if the person talking has a blocked nose or something).

For example, the first 40 seconds of this video show the difference between the G4 and the S6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsAt_o8zxGw

The first 40 seconds of this show the difference between the G4 and the Iphone 6 plus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H4r3giep20

Between 06.00 and 06.40 is the sound comparison between the G4 and the Note 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzvlePzW6oM

And this entire video was filmed with the G4 and the sound is so off to me that I find it hard to listen too..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLV70KQm_uc

Sorry if I am linking to too many videos, I just thought I'd link a few to create an overall picture of what I've come across in my research. Does your G4 also sound like this? Or is it better?

I also understand that perhaps some might not find the difference annoying at all. I just want to figure out if all G4 phones sound like this and if they also sound like this when one calls etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCheekyDinosaur