Microsoft Word app won't allow editing?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
So, I've been using MS WORD app on my phone for some time. I edit and save documents locally on my phone. I am not a subscriber to 365, but I easily upload edits saved to my phone to where I want them in Google Drive so I can use them on my desktop.

That's never been a problem. I don't use Microsoft's online storage for this purpose or their system. I AM a Windows user with a OneDrive account, though. ON my phone, I am signed in to Microsoft account. When the document on my phone is read only, I simply click "save as" and create a compatible format, and save it to my phone.

Recently got a new tablet, downloaded MS Word, just like on my phone, downloaded the documents I use and tried to edit after signing into my MS account for Windows. It tells me I cannot save documents at all without being a 365 subscriber. Won't let me save in any format in any way, even locally on the device. So, what has changed? Why can I do it on my phone and not my tablet?

Any ideas?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, they've been trying to figure out how to navigate this quandary for a little while. This is the latest issue: https://techcrunch.com/2021/08/27/m...or-chromebook-users-in-favor-of-web-versions/

The problem for Microsoft is that there really isn't much incentive for me to pay them for office apps. There are other Android editing programs that are compatible with Word docs. And there is Google docs as well.

The real issue is: do I want to be part of the OneDrive system or the Google drive system? The former comes with 365 if you buy paid storage.

That deal might arguably make sense if I really needed the Microsoft apps more, as personal plans are only $69 a year, but I'm too lazy to switch all my drive files to OneDrive. The OneDrive package might in fact be a better package if 1 TB is enough storage space. Google provides more space for more money, but I don't really need the extra space just now. Maybe it's a better deal taking the Microsoft suite, less space and paying less money.

But I don't really need Microsoft Word on my tablet badly enough to worry about it. If they made it unusable on my phone, too, that might be the straw that pulls me into the OneDrive system. I could go that Google docs route, but the problem with that is...that is not how the originals are formatted on my desktop.

I have not been terribly happy with the new upgrade to Google drive. It seems to slow my system down a bit. Who knows... Maybe inertia will end one day.

stevenjb2020

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
The real issue is: do I want to be part of the OneDrive system or the Google drive system? The former comes with 365 if you buy paid storage.
A nice feature of OneDrive with Windows is the ability to sync specific folders.

I don't think Google Drive offers this on the personal drive service.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
A nice feature of OneDrive with Windows is the ability to sync specific folders.

I don't think Google Drive offers this on the personal drive service.

Actually, I think the reverse is true and that is why I originally took Google drive.

On OneDrive, you can do it in terms of telling it what to download from your OneDrive online to Desktop. But from what I see, everything has to be downloaded and syncing to the OneDrive folder in your desktop. You can choose WHICH folders in the OneDrive folder to upload or sync, but I don't see that you can download to a different location. The original files have to be in the OneDrive folder.

For example I am now trying to upload files from my d drive. I can do that with Google and create a separate Google folder just for my desktop computer D drive. I don't see a way to do that with onedrive. Am I wrong?

stevenjb2020

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
I also use IceDrive. It is a mountable cloud drive like OneDrive with flexible sync options. And, they offer a one-time payment for a lifetime subscription at various storage levels. They are based in the U.K.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I also use IceDrive. It is a mountable cloud drive like OneDrive with flexible sync options. And, they offer a one-time payment for a lifetime subscription at various storage levels. They are based in the U.K.

I will look into that. However, in the past I've been burned with a lot of small online cloud storage providers like cubby that eventually couldn't make it and went out of business. It is so annoying to just keep reordering things....

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
BTW, I have been looking around and have been impressed with what I see from pCloud. Great pricing, especially if you go for the lifetime plans. Zero knowledge encryption available. Select-any-folder, like I've been doing at Google. No limitations on size. They have a feature similar to what Google just rolled out on streaming rather than sync'ing. Not one of my own desires, but some might like it. For those who don't need a lot of space, generous free plan with 10gb. Looks great.

My concern would only be twofold: a) like I say, been burned before with these smaller providers looking great, going out of business. I look at that lifetime plan. $350 at the moment for 2TB. It would work great for me, but what happens when their most interested users no longer are paying money into the till? Do they survive? (b) I like to sync also from my phone certain folders using a third-party program, DriveSync, that makes it easier to manage and personalize Google Drive backups. They have a version for Dropbox and OneDrive too. That's going to be missing. The attempt to only sync certain things to my phone will become more complicated, I fear, if even possible.

Finally, just installed it as a test on my desktop and it sure did use a lot of computer memory. Of course, that's with OneDrive and Google Drive installed and running too. But I really am reluctant to change everything and only then find the overhead is too annoying.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
SO, finally reporting back for whatever use you might make of it.

I bit the bullet and switched all files from Google Drive to One Drive. I have to say, moving 120,000 files was more complicated and nightmarish than I actually expected. Initially, I thought: cut-paste from Google to OneDrive folders. Wait til the cloud syncs. What's so complicated. Well...I've always been the impatient type. One tip, parenthetically: do not set up your devices like phones, tablets (I use a companion program called OneSync) until EVERYTHING has completely synced to the cloud from your desktop/laptop. Lots of anomalies occurred with too many programs having an initial piece of the pie. It's a good thing I have good backups locally too. :)

I can't say I love the new iteration of Google Drive. The new filestream thing seemed to create issues even when not being used in installing and what not. To this moment, after trying to change drive locations, I get a blank screen when looking for Google Drive files from the desktop app. I find them another way, but it's just annoying. There were other and better reasons for the switch, though.

1. OneDrive is a cheaper if you don't need a lot of space. Google offers 2tb for $99 a year. Microsoft offers 1tb for $69, and also included with the price is Office Suite 365. That's a much better deal for me. The $30 isn't a deal breaker, but why pay more for what you don't need, and I like the 365 a lot now that I'm trying it. I hadn't upgraded Office since Word 2007. I like having it as a toss-in freebie. It has value. And I get it for LESS, not more. :)

2. OneDrive works better as a cloud program at the most fundamental level. It was a constant irritant with Google that I would sign onto my desktop in the morning and files changed on my phone would often sync LAST after Google tediously "examined" the 120,000 files. OneDrive tossed the new sync in immediately so I can access the files.

3. OneDrive does have one irritant. Google would let me sync things NOT in the Google Drive folder, files peculiar to a particular computer. Then, saving space, they would not automatically DL to other devices or computers. That was nice. I liked storing, say, my MP3 collection in the cloud even though it is on my D drive, not in the Google Drive folder.

So, there we have it. I have ventured into a Brave New World. So far, I am better for it.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
SO, finally reporting back for whatever use you might make of it.

I bit the bullet and switched all files from Google Drive to One Drive. I have to say, moving 120,000 files was more complicated and nightmarish than I actually expected. Initially, I thought: cut-paste from Google to OneDrive folders. Wait til the cloud syncs. What's so complicated. Well...I've always been the impatient type. One tip, parenthetically: do not set up your devices like phones, tablets (I use a companion program called OneSync) until EVERYTHING has completely synced to the cloud from your desktop/laptop. Lots of anomalies occurred with too many programs having an initial piece of the pie. It's a good thing I have good backups locally too. :)

I can't say I love the new iteration of Google Drive. The new filestream thing seemed to create issues even when not being used in installing and what not. To this moment, after trying to change drive locations, I get a blank screen when looking for Google Drive files from the desktop app. I find them another way, but it's just annoying. There were other and better reasons for the switch, though.

1. OneDrive is a cheaper if you don't need a lot of space. Google offers 2tb for $99 a year. Microsoft offers 1tb for $69, and also included with the price is Office Suite 365. That's a much better deal for me. The $30 isn't a deal breaker, but why pay more for what you don't need, and I like the 365 a lot now that I'm trying it. I hadn't upgraded Office since Word 2007. I like having it as a toss-in freebie. It has value. And I get it for LESS, not more. :)

2. OneDrive works better as a cloud program at the most fundamental level. It was a constant irritant with Google that I would sign onto my desktop in the morning and files changed on my phone would often sync LAST after Google tediously "examined" the 120,000 files. OneDrive tossed the new sync in immediately so I can access the files.

3. OneDrive does have one irritant. Google would let me sync things NOT in the Google Drive folder, files peculiar to a particular computer. Then, saving space, they would not automatically DL to other devices or computers. That was nice. I liked storing, say, my MP3 collection in the cloud even though it is on my D drive, not in the Google Drive folder.

So, there we have it. I have ventured into a Brave New World. So far, I am better for it.
Thanks for your update. That will be very helpful to many members.