Might be a bad question...

Shark_On_Land

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If an entire company like Google and Samsung collaborated to make this device the best they could. There why whould you trust a single person changing the kernal or pngs or natvie screenshot ( does it run all the time?!)

Why whould android and Samsung just make it the best? Maybe because it already is and were just wasting all our time while we should be doing something better with all our time. I easily spend 4 hours on my phone...doing nothing!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shark_On_Land

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm taking about hacks. If it is not imposed in by stock. Then maybe the phone can't handle it.

Example: stock gingerbread launcher is the fastest and uses less memorythan any other launcher. So why should you use adw or llp (made by 1 guy)? I don't think these guys can be better than all of Google's R&D. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
You may be right but it just comes down to preference. Sure the stock gingerbread launcher may use less memory but for many the customization is priority. Especially with the newer devices with lots of ram. I use an alternate launcher even though i know it uses more memory than stock. Its all for us, the buyer, to have a choice. Thats just my opinion. Without developers outside of google we would all be running the same. I get your views though.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I understand where you are coming from, but more often than not, these custom ROMs add features or remove unnecessary stuff added by the carriers. You also have to keep in mind all the phones that are being put out on a daily basis, there just isn't enough effort being put into each one. I would not say what Sprint did was the best. In fact, Ive heard that the At&t and T-Mobile Nexus S's run much better than the Sprint variant, which would be something Sprint did to the software.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
It just comes down to choice.

For some people giving up performance to have a slicker interface is worth it. For others being able to pull down AOSP (well, not right now) and do their own little hack here, tweak there is worth it because they have a device that works how they want, not how Google/Samsung dictates.

I think assuming in any case that big companies are always going to do it best for the individual is a little dangerous. Google and Samsung created a great phone that works well enough for almost everyone, but not great for everyone because we each define great a little differently.

As for the phones not being able to handle a particular hack, that's very possible and especially when you talk about tweaking the CPU. But in many cases there are other types of optimizations and tweaks that increase performance. I can count at least 4 ROMs that I'm aware of that'll blow stock out of the water running at 1.0Ghz or even lower.

I hear where your coming from and the Nexus S is a great phone as is and you don't need to hack it. Some of us just want to take control over the experience and we can, it's one of the things that makes Android great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randomname09