MissingSync vs SyncMate w/iMac if don't want a google account?

Tryn2getaclu

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Strongly considering Thunderbolt for my first Android phone. Truly disappointed direct sync/load (allowing users to directly load contacts, personal calendar info, etc.) has been omitted and seems to almost force users to directly connect our computers to the Google server. Even more frustrating is that we have to spend $40 for 3rd party software to load/sync without using Google. No other OS does this. I will still get T-Bolt if there is an effective way to load and occasionally sync my personal data, directly from my computer to my phone, without loading via Google.

I have found Missing Sync and SyncMate. SyncMate "Expert" edition is the same price as the Missing Sync. Unfortunately, reviews are few and mostly for older editions.

Can anyone help me to understand the differences between these two products? Which is better? Easier? More user friendly/intuitive? etc.?
T.I.A.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Point blank if you don't want a Google account, don't get this phone. You need one to download market apps.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

Tryn2getaclu

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Point blank if you don't want a Google account, don't get this phone. You need one to download market apps.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk
If you can help me to clarify (as I posted - I have no experience using Android), perhaps with details, I would certainly appreciate any help.

I may be ok with having an account for apps. I see that similar to others and suspect that does not require giving Google access into my computer. But, giving Google access to all my contacts, personal calendar, and whatever else that connection may reach feels a bit potentially invasive. I don't know all the connection has access to and don't see how to edit which items go to phone without first giving access to all (editing lists on the Google server). Additionally, I do not use FB, MS, TWTR, or any social networks. While I have not confirmed this, I read there may be at least some automatic activity. I don't want any such accounts and would prefer to not expose any of my contact lists to that either. If there IS a way to accomplish this - I think I will enjoy this phone. If my only option is to give Google access into my computer - I guess I will not use Android phones.

I'd hate to think the only way to enjoy any Android device is required access into our computers. I can certainly see offering the Google server as an optional service but required, when we have no real clue what data may be accessed and no idea by whom...?

Anyway, thank for any help.

anon(157335)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If you can help me to clarify (as I posted - I have no experience using Android), perhaps with details, I would certainly appreciate any help.

I may be ok with having an account for apps. I see that similar to others and suspect that does not require giving Google access into my computer. But, giving Google access to all my contacts, personal calendar, and whatever else that connection may reach feels a bit potentially invasive. I don't know all the connection has access to and don't see how to edit which items go to phone without first giving access to all (editing lists on the Google server). Additionally, I do not use FB, MS, TWTR, or any social networks. While I have not confirmed this, I read there may be at least some automatic activity. I don't want any such accounts and would prefer to not expose any of my contact lists to that either. If there IS a way to accomplish this - I think I will enjoy this phone. If my only option is to give Google access into my computer - I guess I will not use Android phones.

I'd hate to think the only way to enjoy any Android device is required access into our computers. I can certainly see offering the Google server as an optional service but required, when we have no real clue what data may be accessed and no idea by whom...?

Anyway, thank for any help.

Google doesn't really have access to your PC, they only have access to the data which you put on the cloud. Whatever you input into the Google contacts, calendar, etc. on the web is what will appear on your phone when you sign in to your Google account (and vice versa).

I understand why you have privacy concerns, and that is the biggest complaint about online data storage. However, if you go through your Google account settings there are several options that allow you to restrict or deny access to your data. Granted, your data will be stored on Google's servers, and technically an unscrupulous Google employee could hack in and steal whatever information you put there, but the odds of that happening are slim. The odds of someone hacking into a retail chain's servers and stealing your credit or debit card information are much greater.

Simply be sure to create a password for your Google account that cannot be easily guessed (by person or machine) and change it periodically. Or, as stated above, don't buy an Android smartphone.

Of course, the advantage of the Android model is that all of your important data won't be lost if you break or lose your phone.

In the end you need to weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself.

Tryn2getaclu

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your patient explanation Professor. I still wonder if it is possible to use a google account only for loading apps and still be able to sync/load without using the google server. MissingSync and SyncMate (Expert) both seem to promise varying degrees of this ability - less on the free Syncmate.

If this is realistic, my original question still stands: which and why?

Sorry for my ignorance on the details but this is why I am here - hopeful to get some help and guidance.

Tryn2getaclu

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Curious question for OP. What mobile phone are you currently using?
Blackberry Storm since its release. Now out of contract waiting on some of these new phones. Mostly, I have been holding out for THIS phone as I suspected it would come - ever since the release of the 1st GSM version (HTC-HD on Tmobile?). I have been able to sync on a few phones prior too and none have forced cloud loading. VZW back-up has been offered since its inception but that is an option, not requirement (and I don't use it). If I am not mistaken, VZW back-up is from the phone and back to the phone.

I am NOT a power user but do like the larger screen for larger rendering and larger keyboards, Sense seems more to my liking and I like the idea of Android in other regards. Please don't get me wrong, I am very stoked to have this phone but I am hoping to have the option as to how I sync/load and I am willing to buy the software to do it. I am hoping to learn more about the process, these two products and what (if anything) I lose by side-stepping Google for these sync/loads from my computer. I'm a bit old school and prefer options.

akira751

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I also have the Storm 1 since day 1 and I have used the vzw back up assistant to go along with google sync just in case I can't the vzw part to work. So I will try both to see which one works better. Hope that helps.

anon(157335)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry Storm since its release. Now out of contract waiting on some of these new phones. Mostly, I have been holding out for THIS phone as I suspected it would come - ever since the release of the 1st GSM version (HTC-HD on Tmobile?). I have been able to sync on a few phones prior too and none have forced cloud loading. VZW back-up has been offered since its inception but that is an option, not requirement (and I don't use it). If I am not mistaken, VZW back-up is from the phone and back to the phone.

I am NOT a power user but do like the larger screen for larger rendering and larger keyboards, Sense seems more to my liking and I like the idea of Android in other regards. Please don't get me wrong, I am very stoked to have this phone but I am hoping to have the option as to how I sync/load and I am willing to buy the software to do it. I am hoping to learn more about the process, these two products and what (if anything) I lose by side-stepping Google for these sync/loads from my computer. I'm a bit old school and prefer options.

I would recommend posting in the Apps forum, you may get more knowledgeable responses there: Android Applications - Android Forums

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I also have the Storm 1 since day 1 and I have used the vzw back up assistant to go along with google sync just in case I can't the vzw part to work. So I will try both to see which one works better. Hope that helps.

If you have your calendar and contacts already on Google, you won't need VZW to do anything. Before I migrated from my BB to the DInc, I made sure to put a fresh set of contacts and synced my calendar to Google. When the phone is booted and associated with your google account, everything will be synced to your phone.

As someone earlier stated, this phone and Android are built around Google. You have to accept that. As for storing on a third party server, it is no different than an iPhone. My cousin has to get his iPhone replaced, and they just plugged the new one in at an Apple store, downloaded everything to it, and he said it was identical to his prior phone.

Tryn2getaclu

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
As someone earlier stated, this phone and Android are built around Google. You have to accept that. As for storing on a third party server, it is no different than an iPhone. My cousin has to get his iPhone replaced, and they just plugged the new one in at an Apple store, downloaded everything to it, and he said it was identical to his prior phone.
I will have to ask some of the people I know with iPhones (don't know anyone with Android) but I thinkiPhones can sync directly with any computer for contacts and calendar - I do not think there is any "requirement" to load that info onto any server. I think the iTunes account will reload your apps and anything you choose to store there but I do not think it is a requirement.

I really do not have anything that sensitive - I am mostly turned off by the audacity of any company that says "Hey, check out these cool phones we make. The only caveat is that you have to load all of your personal info onto our server to use them." I have never seen any other OS or telephones "require" customers to use any server for storing personal data. As I said, I can certainly see offering their server as an optional service but when they intentionally omit the customer's ability to self sync - thereby forcing everyone to store their data on the server... It just seems a bit invasive to me.

Granted, many will say "just don't get an Android phone" and there is merit to that argument. However, I want the 4.3" screen and many of the features offered on T-Bolt, I just don't like the requirement of storing my data as the price I have to pay to use a phone. If I can have full functionality, and my own direct self-sync bypassing storing my data on Google, and still have a Google account for buying/loading apps - I think I would truly enjoy having and using T-Bolt. But, if the only option to use this is to "sell my soul" (give them access to all my people and personal calendar details...), that is a price I am unwilling to pay - just on principals alone. it all just smacks a bit too much of the "Big Brother" syndrome to me. There just is no reason to omit self-sync as an option and it was clearly omitted - intentionally - in all Android phones.

hoosiercub

May 6, 2010
www.facebook.com
I will have to ask some of the people I know with iPhones (don't know anyone with Android) but I thinkiPhones can sync directly with any computer for contacts and calendar - I do not think there is any "requirement" to load that info onto any server. I think the iTunes account will reload your apps and anything you choose to store there but I do not think it is a requirement.

I really do not have anything that sensitive - I am mostly turned off by the audacity of any company that says "Hey, check out these cool phones we make. The only caveat is that you have to load all of your personal info onto our server to use them." I have never seen any other OS or telephones "require" customers to use any server for storing personal data. As I said, I can certainly see offering their server as an optional service but when they intentionally omit the customer's ability to self sync - thereby forcing everyone to store their data on the server... It just seems a bit invasive to me.

Granted, many will say "just don't get an Android phone" and there is merit to that argument. However, I want the 4.3" screen and many of the features offered on T-Bolt, I just don't like the requirement of storing my data as the price I have to pay to use a phone. If I can have full functionality, and my own direct self-sync bypassing storing my data on Google, and still have a Google account for buying/loading apps - I think I would truly enjoy having and using T-Bolt. But, if the only option to use this is to "sell my soul" (give them access to all my people and personal calendar details...), that is a price I am unwilling to pay - just on principals alone. it all just smacks a bit too much of the "Big Brother" syndrome to me. There just is no reason to omit self-sync as an option and it was clearly omitted - intentionally - in all Android phones.

I'm not sure what to take from that.. if you want the Google features, but fear the 'invasiveness' of Google, then why do you desire a google phone, aside from the 4.3" screen, that I'm pretty sure you can get on WP7 if you're buying into that 'Google is like Skynet/BigBrother' thing. Its a sacrifice of using the internet nowadays, your data is out there, whether you like it or not.

Unless you have some seriously sensitive data/people in your contacts, I'm not sure what you mean by "selling your soul". You can go to your google account on the device under accounts and sync and uncheck the box that says sync contacts/calendar. Then no more worry about your personal data being spread all throughout Google's cloud that is only accessible by you, with your username/password combo. Security is something Google actually takes pretty serious, dunno if you've ever tried to recover a lost password on a Google account or not, but its kind of a pain in the ass. Rightfully so, I wouldn't want it to be too easy.

Tryn2getaclu

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Incred,
How Android functions is still a blind spot for me and so far (you, and Irish in another thread, aside) no one has been willing to start educating me. I am gunshy about this because I do not know enough about newer conenctions and how invasive the connection between my computer and Google server may be. As I posted, my info really is not sensitive, I just do not see WHY Android would intentionally omit the simple operation of connecting my phone to my computer (either by BT or USB) and allowing direct sync without loading via the Google server. This omission, forcing users to use the Google server, is my underlying concern.

Having a Blackberry for over 2 years, of course I have been using email and all BB functions (browsing sucks so look forward to better browsing & bigger screen). But, I still have never been squeezed into loading the details of my contacts and calendar onto ANY server. I do my syncs on BB Desktop manager and control exactly what I load/sync, back-up, load apps all without loading anything onto any server.

Obviously, "selling my soul" is an overly dramatized metaphor for the "requirement". I do not have any google account other than a password that somehow got created for "Google docs" from links to a Google check-out on some web purchase (from my home computer). I used Google check-out to pay one single merchants Google invoice and from then on I have to "sign-in" just to see any document transfered via Google. I am troubled that I paid an invoice and now that automatically forced me into using Google docs. This seems like activity tracking to me. I'm really a pretty much off-the-grid type and use my phone for calls, SMS, email and browsing. I do not bank on my phone and do not do internet purchases on my phone either. I realize the Cloud is the way of the future but I still lack some confidence in data security, especially when ABC evening news reports (as recent as last week) that phones are at risk for security and being warned by ABC news to not bank, etc on phones until security is more developed.

Of course, contacts and calendars are a far cry from banking - still, the intentional omission of non-cloud syncing is unsettling. I may give in to it as I want T-Bolt but I am hoping to find simple ways around putting my personal data onto their server.

Having never used a Google/Android device, I have no idea what the U.I's look like for each side (phone and computers) and what options may exist for privacy, blocking out social media, etc. I do not have or use Facebook, Myspace, Twitter or any other social networks. I also have never used Mobile-me. Additionally, my load/sync needs are minimal. Ideally, I would truly prefer to have a Google account so I can purchase apps and otherwise (for all my personal data) sync/load/back-up via direct sync to my iMac. If this is possible, and still enjoy full functionality of Android, that is my first choice.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post. Any additional help/education - from you and/or anyone else willing to help me better understand - is greatly appreciated.

hoosiercub

May 6, 2010
www.facebook.com
Thanks Incred,
How Android functions is still a blind spot for me and so far (you, and Irish in another thread, aside) no one has been willing to start educating me. I am gunshy about this because I do not know enough about newer conenctions and how invasive the connection between my computer and Google server may be. As I posted, my info really is not sensitive, I just do not see WHY Android would intentionally omit the simple operation of connecting my phone to my computer (either by BT or USB) and allowing direct sync without loading via the Google server. This omission, forcing users to use the Google server, is my underlying concern.

Having a Blackberry for over 2 years, of course I have been using email and all BB functions (browsing sucks so look forward to better browsing & bigger screen). But, I still have never been squeezed into loading the details of my contacts and calendar onto ANY server. I do my syncs on BB Desktop manager and control exactly what I load/sync, back-up, load apps all without loading anything onto any server.

Obviously, "selling my soul" is an overly dramatized metaphor for the "requirement". I do not have any google account other than a password that somehow got created for "Google docs" from links to a Google check-out on some web purchase (from my home computer). I used Google check-out to pay one single merchants Google invoice and from then on I have to "sign-in" just to see any document transfered via Google. I am troubled that I paid an invoice and now that automatically forced me into using Google docs. This seems like activity tracking to me. I'm really a pretty much off-the-grid type and use my phone for calls, SMS, email and browsing. I do not bank on my phone and do not do internet purchases on my phone either. I realize the Cloud is the way of the future but I still lack some confidence in data security, especially when ABC evening news reports (as recent as last week) that phones are at risk for security and being warned by ABC news to not bank, etc on phones until security is more developed.

Of course, contacts and calendars are a far cry from banking - still, the intentional omission of non-cloud syncing is unsettling. I may give in to it as I want T-Bolt but I am hoping to find simple ways around putting my personal data onto their server.

Having never used a Google/Android device, I have no idea what the U.I's look like for each side (phone and computers) and what options may exist for privacy, blocking out social media, etc. I do not have or use Facebook, Myspace, Twitter or any other social networks. I also have never used Mobile-me. Additionally, my load/sync needs are minimal. Ideally, I would truly prefer to have a Google account so I can purchase apps and otherwise (for all my personal data) sync/load/back-up via direct sync to my iMac. If this is possible, and still enjoy full functionality of Android, that is my first choice.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post. Any additional help/education - from you and/or anyone else willing to help me better understand - is greatly appreciated.

I think the hardest part of the transition to Android, especially from Blackberry, is getting the idea out of your head about a PC Sync, forget about Desktop Manager, there is no such thing in the Android world.. save for HTC Sync, but that'll all be going away with the new HTCSense.com.. also optional.

The only data that gets stored on the cloud, is the data thats on your phone. Unless you tell the Account and Sync manager not to put it there. You never truly sync/backup anything like you would do, I used to be a BB-user myself, so I know how difficult it can be to transition into a completely different smartphone world. The most difficult thing you'll have to get used to is that you never have to plug your phone into you computer, unless you're drag n dropping music on the MicroSD. Everything else is handled by the phone/data connection, if you update software on the phone itself, its done on the handset, not through a computer application like with Blackberry.

The simple way around putting your data on the server, would just be to not sync contacts and calendar in the settings.. then the only data on the cloud is your app purchases and your gmail. Google doesn't have some sneaky background application waiting to snatch up on your data to sell to third party companies or anything like that. Don't make it out to be harder or scarier than it actually is.

As for actually syncing to your computer, I'm not sure what you're wanting to sync since your needs are minimal and you don't really need it.

Backing up apps is best done on a rooted devices with an app like Titanium Backup, puts everything on your MicroSD.. you can even export your contacts to a file on the MicroSD, but Verizon has a Backup Assistant service thats free and allows you to sync contacts with Verizon on your phone, that way if you ever get a new phone that supports Backup Assistant, it will automatically give you your contacts with the input of a PIN# as long as its another Verizon device. Music is all stored on the MicroSD or internal storage, I dunno what you'd want to sync there, since its not an iPod/iPhone, but drag n drop works just the same.

Social Media feeds are only relevant if you have an account, since you don't need/use/have them, its not of relevance.

If you're that concerned about being off-the-grid.. trust me, I do understand that want because I myself have plans someday to go fully offgrid. Then you probably don't want a cellphone to begin with, but if you're worried about data interception, then you're bein a little too paranoid bub. Any internet connection allows for that sort of thing to happen, whether it be your iMac, an iPhone, an Android phone, or even a Blackberry as has been seen in the past with celebrity Berries getting hacked.

Tryn2getaclu

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again Incred,
This is truly helpful. It is not so much that I am paranoid as I am bothered by the omission of a simple option to direct sync (cloudless). The fact that they did not leave users the option...

As I said, my data is not sensitive and my needs ARE simple. Over time, I edit/add/etc contacts and Calendar events on phone and on computer. Having the ability to synchronize, compare these and choose which contradictions get over-written is certainly a convenience. I'd rather not do it via a server if I can do it directly. That is what I am attempting to learn here. If/how/which 3rd party programs, etc.

I truly appreciate the help!

anon(157335)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again Incred,
This is truly helpful. It is not so much that I am paranoid as I am bothered by the omission of a simple option to direct sync (cloudless). The fact that they did not leave users the option...

As I said, my data is not sensitive and my needs ARE simple. Over time, I edit/add/etc contacts and Calendar events on phone and on computer. Having the ability to synchronize, compare these and choose which contradictions get over-written is certainly a convenience. I'd rather not do it via a server if I can do it directly. That is what I am attempting to learn here. If/how/which 3rd party programs, etc.

I truly appreciate the help!

Wouldn't it be even more convenient to use Google Calendar, Contacts, etc. and not have to compare and contrast between two different data sets?

Tryn2getaclu

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't it be even more convenient to use Google Calendar, Contacts, etc. and not have to compare and contrast between two different data sets?

Google may still be the most efficient syncing but if I have an option to keep these within my computer and phone direct, I'd prefer to do so - at least at first and until I get more familiar with the Google server.

As I think I posted, one merchant sent me a Google invoice to pay. I had to create a password to complete the transaction. The next thing I knew, if I clicked on a link (in emails or others) to any document that may be connected to google, I had to use that password just to view the linked document. While it may be harmless, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I have long thought all of our media will become centralized via cloud. Years ago, I had said I see all TV, internet, telephone, etc. coming thru one pipe and following us from home to car to street, etc. While I do see this as inevitable, in the long run, it is the intermediate stepping stones along this path that leave me less than comfortable. I know millions of people are using Android, and the cloud for these features, quite happily. Personally, I'd prefer to learn to walk before I try to run. Just an older guy coming from pre-computer days, data entry via card punch, first laptop having 10 MB HD (DOS commands), $2700 for the first Motorola Brick phone, etc., etc., etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scrap