MMS vs. SMS Messaging - Can I switch back?

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
I have an old phone. It's a Samsung Captivate Glide, with Android 4.0.4 (Model #SGH-1927). I actually special ordered this phone from Amazon because the slide-out keyboard is like my previous phone and both are the best way for me to text with arthritic hands. I really don't need all the bells and whistles of a new phone, as I spend most of my time at home, and I can just use my PC. I was happy with my old phone (a much older Samsung with a slide-out keyboard), until some functions stopped working.

With my old phone, I was sending regular SMS messaging. With this "new" phone, I'm now sending MMS messaging by no other choice (to my knowledge), and it has been brought to my attention that some of my texts are not being sent, and some being sent to be aren't being received. The MMS thing is a whole new ballgame, and I appear to be having issues with it. Until my old phone started to lose function, SMS messages were easy. I'm not sure if I need MMS messages. My friends know I don't download anything or use attachments. I text and call, and that's pretty much all I use the phone for because they know that my PC is easier for me to use.

Is there a way to switch back to SMS by default? Easy-to-follow instructions would be best. Remember, I'm new to this MMS thing and new to this phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
MMS is just the multimedia version of SMS.
All messages start off as SMS until you add something that requires the switch:
- pictures
- emojis
- multiple recipients(?)
- more than 150-ish ASCII characters
- more than 75 Unicode characters.

Which SMS app are you using?
Check the app settings to see what options are available to you.

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
Ry - No, I'm not. I'm still so used to sending texts in a thread limited to 160 characters with each part, as I did on my old phone. I noticed I'm still doing that.

ManiacJoe - Thanks, that clears up a lot for me! I read in an article what MMS meant and kind of got that same idea, but I wanted to check with some cell phone forums to make sure I was on the right track of thinking.

Turns out, my friend I was sending messages to was getting all of my messages, but she was too busy with work and her child to answer me. She told me she got them on Facebook.

However, I did not receive a text she says she sent, so that's still a mystery.

I have an app that's just named "Messaging." It doesn't go by any name that I've seen before, other than that (e.g. "WhatsApp," etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomeoCatcher