• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

basic details:
LG G6 (H871)
AT&T phone service
Verizon FIOS high-speed internet and wifi at home

My phone just had a system update (oreo 8). After it finished, my mobile hotspot no longer worked the way it did before. I have not changed anything else about any of my phone, my other devices, phone service, wifi service, or equipment. But my LG G6 will no longer act as a mobile hotspot without using mobile data. Before the update, my phone would take my wifi signal from downstairs and repeat it so I could get wifi in my bedroom. Now if I enable the hotspot, it will only use mobile data. I tried turning on and off the option to use wifi instead of mobile data several times. That changed nothing. I tried connecting to the hotspot while data was turned off. That resulted in a connection, but no internet access.
I tried restarting my phone. I tried clearing cache. I tried resetting network settings on the phone. None of that helped.
I know there are many ways to connect to the internet. And with more work and more money I could buy a powerful repeater or find a way to hardwire everything. But a few days ago everything was working fine straight through my phone. I even tested it before the update and it was not consuming any mobile data. It worked at a very high speed too.

Does anyone have any idea how to get my phone back to repeating the wifi signal?

Thanks very much for any ideas or references.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
But my LG G6 will no longer act as a mobile hotspot without using mobile data. Before the update, my phone would take my wifi signal from downstairs and repeat it so I could get wifi in my bedroom. Now if I enable the hotspot, it will only use mobile data. I tried turning on and off the option to use wifi instead of mobile data several times.

I think you misunderstand the "mobile hotspot" concept. What you were getting before was not mobile hotspot but WiFi repeater, and I'm not aware that was even a capability on any Android device.

Honestly, you'll probably get better results with a dedicated WiFi repeater. They aren't expensive

And with more work and more money I could buy a powerful repeater or find a way to hardwire everything.

If the phone was able to grab and repeat your WiFi signal, you don't need an expensive "powerful repeater". At a quick glance, I saw some as low as $20 at Best Buy.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74