Mobile Webguard on T-Mo prepaid.

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I posted this thread under carrier topics but I figured I'd repost it for you guys who are using the N4 on T-Mobile prepaid. I have the $30 plan which includes 100 min of talk time, unlimited text, and unlimited data throttled after 5gb. This is my 2nd month and I have my data usage settings synced to the dates of my renewal every month. I don't have access to Wi-Fi all the time so I have to rely on mobile data for a whole month. I stream a lot of videos, browse a lot of web, and download a lot of music. I have my T-Mobile account page bookmarked and I setup a mytmobile account as well. When I first got the phone I realized that mobile webguard was turned on by default.

Last week I discovered something I found to be interesting. I had used about 600mb of data and I figured out how mobile webguard off. Upon doing so, my account page on T-Mobile's website showed that my data usage had reset to zero. Since then I have done this several times with the same results. My data usage indicator on my phone says that I have used about 1.20gb of data whereas my T-Mobile account says I've only used 503kb. Just thought I'd share that with y'all and see what you think. This is still kinda an experiment because I haven't reached 5 gigs of data yet but I'll let you know how it turns out later on. Anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my Nexus 4

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Wish I had known about this earlier as I could have tested it for you.

I don't talk much, so am on the same plan as you. My wife has just the opposite needs however, so I started her out on the Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, 100MB data plan. It didn't take her too long to hit the 100MB cap at which point her data rate slowed to an insanely slow, unbearable, crawl. I had no choice but to upgrade her to the $60 plan with Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, and "Unlimited" (5GB) data.

I am thinking about moving her to this new T-Mobile service https://www.gosmartmobile.com/ on the $45 plan. Pretty sure she could live with 3G data speeds and 5GB cap.

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I will definitely check it out. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to deal with 100 min talk time. The first month I ran out with about a week and a half left in the billing cycle. I guess I talk more than I thought but 45 bucks is still better than 80-100. Thanks for the suggestion. Even checked into solavei. We'll see how this month goes.

Sent from my Nexus 4

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Wish I had known about this earlier as I could have tested it for you.

I don't talk much, so am on the same plan as you. My wife has just the opposite needs however, so I started her out on the Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, 100MB data plan. It didn't take her too long to hit the 100MB cap at which point her data rate slowed to an insanely slow, unbearable, crawl. I had no choice but to upgrade her to the $60 plan with Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, and "Unlimited" (5GB) data.

I am thinking about moving her to this new T-Mobile service https://www.gosmartmobile.com/ on the $45 plan. Pretty sure she could live with 3G data speeds and 5GB cap.

What network does gosmartmobile run on?

Sent from my Nexus 4

castroyy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I tried the $30 plan as well. I blew through 75 minutes in a few days and I barely talk on the phone. It just so happened I did talk that week!!!! I wish the T-Mobile coverage would have been better in my area so I could have kept the plan. My idea for the 100 minutes was to keep an extra $10.00 in there so I could go over on minutes. Some months I use 50 minutes and others I use 300 it all depends on my calls.

I have since switched to Straight Talk with AT&T service. Overall it has been pretty good however I am worried that I will get throttled one of these days. I am normally on WiFi all day but sometimes it's just not around!

crashprone

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
@chrispher86 I just tried this and it did not reset the data.
On a Monthly4G plan already being throttled to 2G and the data counter on MyTmobile still the same. I used MyTMobile to disable WebGuard, and toggled it on/off a couple of times.

Maybe it only works if you have not yet hit the limit?

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
@crashprone. Like I said, its just an experiment right now. But every time I do it, resets on T-Mobile's website. I'll post screen shots in a little while

Sent from my Nexus 4

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So the order goes
1) data usage from my phone.
2) before changing settings
3) after
Sent from my Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356572420445.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356572420445.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 12
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356572443066.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356572443066.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 11
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356572452299.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356572452299.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 11

crashprone

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Holy cow this works! When I first tried it I was at work and did not have the phone (it is my wife's).
When I got home I launched the MyAccount app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmobile.selfhelp&hl=en and noticed that the data was back to zero.

I then ran a speed test and the speeds are back to 4G! I am not sure how long it will take tmo to plug this but for now my wife is enjoying 4G speed again even though she already went over her 100MB limit on the $50 plan. Still plan to switch her to the $60 plan since I don't think she will want to do this after every 100MB.

Thank you @chrispher86 !

Update:
I can now see the data reset on the tmo website. So it appears that it is not enough to change it through the website, you have to also view your account through the phone.

Last edited:

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else experienced this?

Yup I just confirmed this yesterday. I had changed the Webguard setting awhile ago and I thought it reset my data, but I wasn't checking it often enough to be sure. Last night I changed the Webguard setting again, but this time I had been watching the data usage close enough to know that the data usage was reset. Personally, I would rather it reset the minutes than the data! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AppletoDroid40