Moment less "Buggy" than Hero?

aerajan

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I love my Hero but am becoming annoyed with the several bugs that it has. I've encountered at least 5 of them myself and have read of several more. I'm trying hard to be patient and hope that Htc and Sprint work to resolve some of these issues but wonder how much they actually will. Coming from a Sprint Treo 700wx running wm5 I'm used to bugs but don't think I suffered as many on that phone as the Hero. However, I really don't want to go back to Windows because all in all it's a rather boring OS on the mobile end.

So this brings me to the million dollar question that I'm desperately trying to figure out in these last few days before my 30 days with the Hero are up. Do you think the Moment will have less bugs than the Hero? I've read all the posts on the Moment on here so far but no one has posted on this yet probably because the phone is so new. There's plenty about the Hardware but this doesn't help me much because keyboard vs. no keyboard have no bearing as my Treo had a full keyboard and the Hero doesn't and I love both. Social networking also has no bearing because I don't use any of them. I'm just trying to figure out which phone is more stable software wise.

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
According to CNET:

The Good:
"The Samsung Moment has a bright display with a spacious keyboard. Productivity features are plentiful and call quality is clear."

The Bad:
"The Samsung Moment's touch interface and controls were a little sluggish. The camera lacks editing features, call volume could be louder, and speakerphone quality was just average."

Bottom Line:
"With its full keyboard and bright display, the Samsung Moment successfully rounds out Sprint's Android offerings."

It received 3.5 stars out of 5 (CNET Editors Review) while the Hero received 4 out of 5.

Just thought this might help a bit..

vincarrillo

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I learned yesterday when I got the Moment not to put too much weight into those reviews, especially coming from CNET.

I watched the same video review and none of what they complained about is true. The phone is solidly built, fast, and after syncing Outlook 2007 contacts and calendar, installing about ten apps from the Marketplace, placing a number of calls and text messages, not one fault in this phone.

I have used a Windows Mobile phone for the past five years and I traded in my awful HTC Touch Pro yesterday for the Moment, so maybe I am a bit biased and overjoyed to be using a well made phone with a stable O/S.

Since you already have the Hero, and most likely have used it extensively since you got it, I would recommend going to a Sprint store and asking to see the Moment. I was shocked how not so thick and ugly (as in most video reviews) it was yesterday. Kind of pissed me off I almost believed the reviewers to the point I was considering the Hero - thankfully my eyes were opened because I could not take another HTC failure.

Semantics

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
The Hero is far from a failure. While everyone's experience may vary to some degree, I haven't had an issue with my Hero since I stopped running task killers. Your gripe about the HTC phone you used is probably WM related, HTC routinely has some of the best build quality phones on the market. The Hero is getting 2.0 in the near future, its only going to get better.

wolf1989#AC

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't want to bash the hero because I'm know other people have had great succes with it. But im on my fourth hero and getting the moment in a couple hours. I've had nothing but problems however, they seem to be problems no ones else is having. I'm hoping just going with the vanilla of the moment will fix my issues.

maddmatt02

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
no problems with the hero here yet, of course I killed the battery before the day was over on the first day, but thats because it never left my hands and I was DL and playing apps and games all day. now that its seeing regular use, it lasts all day and still has plenty of charge when it goes back on the charger. I dont think it would last 2 full days so it gets charged every night.

VampireRollen

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't want to bash the hero because I'm know other people have had great succes with it. But im on my fourth hero and getting the moment in a couple hours. I've had nothing but problems however, they seem to be problems no ones else is having. I'm hoping just going with the vanilla of the moment will fix my issues.
What were your problems? I'm curious.

wolf1989#AC

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
I had some problems with my texts not coming at the right times. My was really laggy no matter what I did. I also couldn't get the battery to last me the entire day (probably partly me because my school doesn't get great service). But I got the moment and I have to say its not as flashy but this phone seems to be everything I need and no lag. I've been trying to drain the batttery and it just won't do it. No sense ui but I don't really miss it.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Wolf1989 - same her on the Moment battery. Barley use it and everything off. And I only get about 4 to 5 hours of standby, The Hero I had was a lot better then this so far regarding the battery life,

redram38

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if the Moment has the same issue of staying awake 100 % of the time if you use the installed message program. Has anyone tried using Handsent on it to see if Battery life improves. I am thinking of switching my Hero for it, but am concerned about the battery. The voice dial and physical keyboard are big factors for me. I like the hero but the voice dial, crummy BT and memory leaks are making me rethink keeping it.

vincarrillo

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
To the poster that thinks I hate HTC just because of WinMo, I had to replace my HTC TP twice due to keyboard failures. To further my case I did a little research after the first replacement and found no less than six Google pages worth of "HTC Touch Pro keyboard failure". I think that speaks volumes for their build quality, and ironically many of the discontented posters were on the HTC Web site forum!

For you folks having battery issues on the Moment, take a deep breath and try this methodology - worked for me;

- Fully charge the phone prior to your typical daily usage, in the morning for most folks. During downtime, in the evening for most folks, try your best to drain the sucker down to 3 percent (play music, video, surf the Web, run the GPS, etc.), where the phone will most likely turn off. I believe you will get a notification at 10 or 5 percent, but wait until the phone turns off.

- Fully charge the battery.

- Rinse and repeat one more day

I believe what is happening is not the battery actually draining as fast as is displayed, but the software; the battery gauge or perhaps a 'battery' Widget you downloaded from the Marketplace, not properly reading the remaining charge. I followed this methodology and even under heavy usage the phone stayed above 60% well into the evening, further impressing me this is the best phone available right now.

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I believe what is happening is not the battery actually draining as fast as is displayed, but the software; the battery gauge or perhaps a 'battery' Widget you downloaded from the Marketplace, not properly reading the remaining charge.
This is the same experience reported by many Pre owners. Draining the battery completely seems to "reset" the gauge so that 0 = 0 and 100 = 100. I did this with my Pre and it made an immediate difference in battery life. Just in case, I did this with my Hero too. Battery life has been pretty good ever since. It should be noted that Li-on batteries should not be drained and recharged regularly like Ni-mh or Ni-cd. Done repeatedly, this will shorten the life of the Li-on battery.

Last edited: