most cost effective way to upgrade to the Note 9?

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
So last year I got the Note 8 from Samsung directly, first time I've ever gone directly thru Samsung. Taking advantage of the trade-in value they were offering for note 7 "victims" was too much to turn down. I still owe like $300 on the note 8. I'm trying to be smart about how I go about this to owe the least going forward if I upgrade to the note 9. If I trade it in to Samsung towards the 9 I'll still owe them the remaining balance on the 8. Other options include carrier trade-in or selling privately, unless there are other options I'm not seeing. Although Samsung's offer of $400 might be the highest around, it would also lock me into fully paying off the remaining balances of the 8 AND 9 as opposed to T-Mobile that would allow me to upgrade after 12 months I believe without penalty/having to pay off the remaining balance. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:

JREwing

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I also bought my Note 8 in October. After 12 months, Samsung Financing [TD Bank] will let you trade your device in, and will give you 50% of your purchase price for the device. I will have to wait till October, and fear losing the preorder perks.
I too am wondering how I can upgrade a few weeks early and still get at least $400 trade offer. I think I will make a call to TD this week.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
So last year I got the Note 8 from Samsung directly, first time I've ever gone directly thru Samsung. Taking advantage of the trade-in value they were offering for note 7 "victims" was too much to turn down. I still owe like $300 on the note 8. I'm trying to be smart about how I go about this to owe the least going forward if I upgrade to the note 9. If I trade it in to Samsung towards the 9 I'll still owe them the remaining balance on the 8. Other options include carrier trade-in or selling privately, unless there are other options I'm not seeing. Although Samsung's offer of $400 might be the highest around, it would also lock me into the full price of the 9 as opposed to T-Mobile that would allow me to upgrade after 12 months I believe without penalty/having to pay off the remaining balance. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Being a Note7 "victim" as well I don't know how i skirted getting a discount (water under the bridge now) when I bought the Note8 outright from Verizon at launch. I toyed with the idea of trading my S7 Edge last year but since, in some way, all of my old phones have some sentimental value I couldn't part with it. I did receive the gift of the Gear 360 Camera on September 13th, 2017 and I use it somewhat extensively. Now I'm hoping that I can buy the 512GB Note9 when it goes up for pre-order just days from now.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I also bought my Note 8 in October. After 12 months, Samsung Financing [TD Bank] will let you trade your device in, and will give you 50% of your purchase price for the device. I will have to wait till October, and fear losing the preorder perks.
I too am wondering how I can upgrade a few weeks early and still get at least $400 trade offer. I think I will make a call to TD this week.

I was a note 8 preorder customer last year, so I'm making my 11th payment this month. The earlier release of the 9 this year seemingly prevents me from utilizing the upgrade option from Samsung financing. I'm gonna call as well to see if they can make an exception, or allow me to pay the 12th month in advance to allow for the upgrade. I would think they should as it's not the customer's fault the release is earlier and the financing program promotes annual upgrade for the same device.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I was a note 8 preorder customer last year, so I'm making my 11th payment this month. The earlier release of the 9 this year seemingly prevents me from utilizing the upgrade option from Samsung financing. I'm gonna call as well to see if they can make an exception, or allow me to pay the 12th month in advance to allow for the upgrade. I would think they should as it's not the customer's fault the release is earlier and the financing program promotes annual upgrade for the same device.
Unless you made a payment initially upon ordering, I would think that this would be a the case for every release - being a month behind. As long as they get their money, you would think they would have an option at checkout to make up the difference right there.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Unless you made a payment initially upon ordering, I would think that this would be a the case for every release - being a month behind. As long as they get their money, you would think they would have an option at checkout to make up the difference right there.

Called Samsung and I guess last year I chose the financing option without upgrade option? I guess there was a choice for the upgrade financing that included a $12/month Samsung protection plan and I chose the option without protection since I had TMobile insurance, but I didn't remember seeing that that option excluded the12 month upgrade option. So it looks like I'm on the hook for the ~$290 I still owe. I'd get $400 back from Samsung towards the price of the Note 9 if I send it in, but I'll still have to pay off the 8. Now I'm just deciding if I'm gonna stick with that option or see if TMobile can offer me a better deal for the Note 8.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Called Samsung and I guess last year I chose the financing option without upgrade option? I guess there was a choice for the upgrade financing that included a $12/month Samsung protection plan and I chose the option without protection since I had TMobile insurance, but I didn't remember seeing that that option excluded the12 month upgrade option. So it looks like I'm on the hook for the ~$290 I still owe. I'd get $400 back from Samsung towards the price of the Note 9 if I send it in, but I'll still have to pay off the 8. Now I'm just deciding if I'm gonna stick with that option or see if TMobile can offer me a better deal for the Note 8.
I think a lot of people will be weighing their options on this upgrade from a Note8. If the money works, do it. If not, it's not really essential to upgrade.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
If you use Samsung's trade-in to upgrade to a Note9 from a good-condition Note8, you get $400 for the Note8, which is about what you can get for it now on eBay (after subtracting eBay and PayPal selling fees). But if you sell on eBay instead, you can also avail yourself of any pre-order discount that your carrier or BestBuy might offer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582