Moto 360 first thoughts

VannTH

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
So after struggling with myself for a couple months I finally bought the Moto 360.
Here are my first thoughts on it:

-It's definitely a really nice looking piece of hardware.
-Although I'm not a fan of how the band looks(not sure if it's the light brown one or the stone one), it actually feels quite comfortable.
-On some photos I thought it was gigantic but it's actually a nice size for a watch and definitely lighter than I expected (my steel fossil watch is definitely heavier, and about the same size)
-There's a little learning curve but overall android wear is surprisingly easy to use and a very intuitive experience.
-The Moto 360 is more of a "want" than a "need" device I have to say. Even so, it actually works really well and I can see it as a great complement to the Android experience.
-Haven't even had 1 battery cycle so far, so I can't say too much about that. I'll update that point later in the week.

As far as now, I'm really happy with it, and even though I know I could have lived without it, I'm certain I would miss it a lot over a month or two of actual use. It's a really nice looking piece of hardware, and it's a joy to use. Hope you're enjoying yours (or enjoy it once you buy it).

Greetings!
PS: sorry if there's anything not clear enough, English is not my first language.

EDIT:

Update after a week of use
Note: the software version is still 4.4W.2

-After a few days of use the battery got better. The first cycle lasted 16 hours. Now on normal use I get 18 hours and the battery is around 20%.
-I bought and installed a third party metal band (a cheap one, but I really didn't like the looks of the stone band). It's a pain to install a new band but you eventually get the hang of it. -Also I would suggest (as it's been suggested to me) to buy a screen protector. I've been very careful with my watch and it already has little surface scratches. Nothing to noticeable, or deep but it definitely needs a screen protector to avoid this. Where I live (Mexico) the only way to get a Moto 360 is through the Moto online store, and they don't sell the screen protector there, so I haven't been able to get one. I'm seriously thinking about buying some smartphone screen protectors and cut them myself to protect the screen.
-I also want to say that the software lags a little bit through transitions. It doesn't affect the performance overall, but it is noticeable.
-Overall it's a joy to use and a really nice addition to the Android experience. I almost don't take out my Moto X from my pocket anymore (and I used it a lot).
Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 3439.jpg
    3439.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 3438.jpg
    3438.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear you're happy with your purchase. I have had mine for a little over two months now and it would be difficult for me to go back to life without it. I have adjusted my mobile device usage based on the features of a SmartWatch and it is a great compliment to my overall experience with my phone.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
That is the stone leather band. That's what I had as well but I switched to a tan fossil leather band and I get a lot of compliments on it. I will be getting the cognac leather band as soon as my local Best Buy has them in stock.

It has definitely improved my smartphone experience. I even opt to wear it over some of my fancier regular watches because I miss the smartwatch features when I leave it behind.

VannTH

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
That is the stone leather band. That's what I had as well but I switched to a tan fossil leather band and I get a lot of compliments on it. I will be getting the cognac leather band as soon as my local Best Buy has them in stock.

It has definitely improved my smartphone experience. I even opt to wear it over some of my fancier regular watches because I miss the smartwatch features when I leave it behind.

Hey jlczl. I'm definitely thinking about buying a couple of third party bands (another leather one, maybe a steel band also) to change from time to time. Is it difficult to change them?
Thanks for letting me know about the color of the band Btw.

Greetings!

anon(8481482)

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Got mine from T Mobile. It's the light finish with the black band. Like it so far...it has definitely changed how I use my phone. Love the rotate watch face best..with a red accent.

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey jlczl. I'm definitely thinking about buying a couple of third party bands (another leather one, maybe a steel band also) to change from time to time. Is it difficult to change them?
Thanks for letting me know about the color of the band Btw.

Greetings!

Here is a video of Phil changing the watch bands for the 360.

[GUIDE] The official Moto 360 steel bracelet: http://youtu.be/fk_fisa8z-U

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site

My local Best Buy had the Cognac Leather in so I picked it up today. Very nice. Much higher quality than the grey I had. Just can't seem to configure a watch face that looks optimal with it.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time.

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I'll check it out later

Greetings!
Something else, that you might want to think about for your watch, is a screen protector. I have the Zagg invisible shield on my watch. It is a must in my opinion! There are other options, out there for the 360, online.

VannTH

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Something else, that you might want to think about for your watch, is a screen protector. I have the Zagg invisible shield on my watch. It is a must in my opinion! There are other options, out there for the 360, online.
Thanks I'll consider it.

Greetings!

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
My local Best Buy had the Cognac Leather in so I picked it up today. Very nice. Much higher quality than the grey I had. Just can't seem to configure a watch face that looks optimal with it.

-Shawn

Got the same. The local Best Buy had about 10 in stock and I noticed a variation in colors. Some were a lighter tan and others were darker. I got the darkest because I already have a tan leather band from Fossil. It is kind of a pain to swap bands but I'm hoping this one isn't as much since it's specifically made for our watch.

VannTH

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Got the same. The local Best Buy had about 10 in stock and I noticed a variation in colors. Some were a lighter tan and others were darker. I got the darkest because I already have a tan leather band from Fossil. It is kind of a pain to swap bands but I'm hoping this one isn't as much since it's specifically made for our watch.

I checked the band out of curiosity on Google. It looks really nice!

I have to agree, changing bands is a pain (I got a cheap metal third party band), but at least now I know it's possible to do it by myself which is nice, since I plan on changing constantly between a plastic sport band and the steel one). Bought a few extra pieces, I recommend you to do it too.

Greetings!

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site

It's actually a bit harder with the Cognac because the leather is harder. But I bought a spring bar tool on Amazon for like 5 bucks. Makes it really easy in most cases.

-Shawn

VannTH

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Here's a few pictures of the new band I installed.
It's not a gorgeous band but it does look much better. I have received a lot of compliments on the watch, and I'm very happy with it, for its looks and it's functionality.

Greetings!

Attachments

• 3810.jpg
    3810.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 3808.jpg
    3808.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's a few pictures of the new band I installed.
It's not a gorgeous band but it does look much better. I have received a lot of compliments on the watch, and I'm very happy with it, for its looks and it's functionality.

Greetings!

Looks like the Pebble Steel Band, right? I had that one until the official Moto Steel band came out. Like the Moto one much better.

-Shawn

VannTH

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Looks like the Pebble Steel Band, right? I had that one until the official Moto Steel band came out. Like the Moto one much better.

-Shawn

If motorola ever decides to sell the steel band in my country I'll definitely get it! The 360 looks gorgeous with it.

Greetings!

Last edited: