Moto/Droid Turbo/Maxx vs OnePlus Two vs Moto X Play

shashankhj

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
So now we have the new:
OnePlus Two with a bigger battery, better processor, more RAM, probably a better camera too, and all that at a much cheaper price.
Moto X Play which will have better battery performance (lower resolution display, big enough battery), decent processor, a better camera, and all that at a much cheaper price.

Given all that, is the Turbo still worth it?

650$ for the Turbo vs 400$ for the OnePlus Two vs 450$ for the Moto X Play where I am.

Let the Opinions roll!

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I bought a second turbo for 499 back in june, but i understand what your saying about original release price.

I love the turbo, but to be honest i wish it would have stayed at 1080 instead of quad hd. The 1080 screen on my note 3 was awesome, and the 1080 uses less battery. I lean towards the com,ents that say 1080 is high enough for screens in the 5.5 range.

To me the turbo is worth it because holding it, the size is about perfect to me, and even though its heavier, its because of the battery thats big enough to last the full day.

I am glad to see phones like the one plus starting to use bigger batteries, i hope its a trend that will finally reach the more popular phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm really interested for this comparison between the moto maxx and the moto x play.
You sayed that the moto x play will have a better battery performance over the moto maxx, how?
And the camera it seems better, but we can only know this for sure with the reviews...

shashankhj

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Well, I said the Moto X Play might have better performance because
Moto Turbo: Battery - 3900 MaH, Display - 1440x2560, Processor - Snapdragon 805 (2.7 GHz Quad Core)
Moto X Play: Battery - 3630 MaH, Display - 1080x1920, Processor - Snapdragon 615 (1.7 GHz Cortex-A53 & 1.0 GHz Cortex-A53 Both Quadcore)
So thats approximately 40% less pixels to push with a less than 10% smaller battery, and a more efficient processor.

About the camera, the new Moto X's are using Sony's latest IMX230 camera sensor, that's a generation jump over the Turbo's IMX220.
I guess we'll just have to wait for reviews...

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Well, I said the Moto X Play might have better performance because
Moto Turbo: Battery - 3900 MaH, Display - 1440x2560, Processor - Snapdragon 805 (2.7 GHz Quad Core)
Moto X Play: Battery - 3630 MaH, Display - 1080x1920, Processor - Snapdragon 615 (1.7 GHz Cortex-A53 & 1.0 GHz Cortex-A53 Both Quadcore)
So thats approximately 40% less pixels to push with a less than 10% smaller battery, and a more efficient processor.

About the camera, the new Moto X's are using Sony's latest IMX230 camera sensor, that's a generation jump over the Turbo's IMX220.
I guess we'll just have to wait for reviews...

Thanks, that's very informative :)

Overall I think the X Play is a better device, and we can't forget that it will for certain get the new android M, and maybe even the next one. The moto maxx although I doubt it will move forward lollipop...
My last concern is about the chipset. A lot of people say that the SD 605 octa core is a downgrade from the SD 8xx series, but I want to know how it really afect the end users, because maybe we can't even see a astonishing difference...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that the snapdragon 615 is a performance / battery hog compared with the the snapdragon 808.

See
https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/626041954397085696

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/626042062375247872

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/626044169379667968

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/626047767022997504

That said, I like the smaller size and lower screen res of the Play. Hi res is a waste of battery and performance in my opinion; 1080p is plenty good enough at these display sizes.

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Well, now I'm very confused wich one is better. After seeing that about the SD 815 being a hog, maybe the moto maxx have better battery consuming than the new X Play, and this really makes the balance go to the moto maxx, wich a better processor...
the only thing that the X Play still wins is probably a better camera (need the reviews) and the safe to have future OS upgrades wich the MAXX may not have...I don't know what to choose :X

shashankhj

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
I don't know about you, but I try not to base my decisions on Twitter and other social media forums. The SD 615 might not be top of the line performance wise, but it surely is a good chip nonetheless. If not the SD 615, then what?

shashankhj

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
I don't know about you, but I try not to base my decisions on Twitter and other social media forums. The SD 615 might not be top of the line performance wise, but it surely is a good chip nonetheless. If not the SD 615, then what?

Some info I came across.
Moto Turbo - 3900 MaH Battery, a SD 805 processor, 2560x1440 AMOLED - Web Browsing: 11.5 Hours, Video Playback - 13.6 Hours
Galaxy A7 - 3000 MaH Battery, a SD 615 processor, 1920x1080 SuperAMOLED - Web Browsing: 9.5 Hours, Video Playback - 10 Hours

So I don't think the 615 will be That far behind the 805

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Yeah you're right, my decision is made, I will go for the X Play.
The only 'bad' thing is that I'm in a urge to buy a new phone and Motorola didn't state when (the day of august) they will gonna release it. I live in Brazil.

shashankhj

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
I am really glad I helped with that. Though I still have not been able to do that... Already owned a Moto Turbo for about a month before it's screen broke after a fall. Now, I need a new phone, am on a tight budget, should not go in for the Turbo and really want my heart to settle for the Moto X Play or the OnePlus Two, but I'm not being able to do so. Can't outright select:
Moto Turbo because of it's Cost (Nearly double the other two in question) and Bad Camera.
Moto X Play because of it's relatively slower Processor, Non AMOLED screen (not a major issue but will affect Moto Display battery usage) and Size.
OnePlus Two because of it's Size lack of Turbo Charging and lack of the Beautiful Moto Apps. Plus no idea how long I'll have to wait to get an invitation for it.

Leo Bauberger

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
You need to know if the 615 is really gonna hurt you. It will only make a real difference if you use massive editing apps on the phone or if you are a hard really hard gamer, playing heavy 3D graphics games. If neither these two are kinda you, the 615 won't make any significant difference over the 8xx series. IMO.
About the screen, it's already state that it is a good TFT one, same used on some apple devices, so you should not worry about the quality, and I really think either about the battery usage, since we already talked about the nice combo pixelsXbattery wich I think is the major drain battery power problem over the other 'issues' like the painel technology lcdXamoled.
The size is a big problem and I'm with you on this one. But unfortuanly 99% of these new models are coming with these big screens and we can't run away of it, basically we don't have good options with small screens on newer models.

Gabriel Valle

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
So if you could get both for the same price which one would you get?

I would say droid turbo. The turbo is a flagship after all, while the x play is only a second rate phone compared to the pure/style. Even here in the US it's rumored that the Maxx 2 will be based of the play and the turbo 2 will be based of the style.

While 1080p is good (u really don't need more) at this screen size, if the battery life is comparable as well as performance why not go with the better chip? (805) it has a better graphics card.

The 615 is an evolution of the 600 series (the cpus that powered the s4 and the htc M7)

I would go with the turbo (if both were same price) i have seen a couple of refurbished turbos on eBay for ~$300

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodweather2024