Moto g not seen by my computers

OtisWoe

Apr 15, 2024
Visit site
Hello, can anyone help me with my problem? I have tried to have my Moto g play 2023 show up on 2 computers , with no luck. My desk top is running win 11 and my laptop is running linux mint. Why don't the phone show up via the usb cable. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you. OtisWoe.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you confirm that you're unlocking the screen on the phone when it's connected to the computer? If the phone screen is still locked, the computer can't see the phone -- this is a security feature.

OtisWoe

Apr 15, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you confirm that you're unlocking the screen on the phone when it's connected to the computer? If the phone screen is still locked, the computer can't see the phone -- this is a security feature.
Thank you for your post. Yes I have unlocked the screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, when connected via USB, swipe down the notification panel, tap the USB notification, and make sure it's set to File Transfer (or MTP), rather than Charge Only.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

OtisWoe

Apr 15, 2024
Visit site
Also, when connected via USB, swipe down the notification panel, tap the USB notification, and make sure it's set to File Transfer (or MTP), rather than Charge Only.
Thank you B. I don't know what the notification panel is or how to get it. Sorry for being so dumb. When I swipe down from the top of the screen I do not get anything the references USB notifications. I get internet, bluetooth, do not disturb and auto rotate. Thank you for your help, OtisWoe

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No need to apologize -- we get all levels of experience here, and at some point, we were all novices!

The notification panel is what you see when you swipe down from the top of the screen. Those Internet, Bluetooth, Do Not Disturb, and Auto Rotate buttons are part of what's called the Quick Settings. If there are notifications from apps or the system, they should appear under that.

Can you take a screenshot of what it looks like when you swipe down from the top of the screen once (not twice, and make sure you're using one finger to swipe, not two), and then share it here? Here are the steps: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

OtisWoe

Apr 15, 2024
Visit site
No need to apologize -- we get all levels of experience here, and at some point, we were all novices!

The notification panel is what you see when you swipe down from the top of the screen. Those Internet, Bluetooth, Do Not Disturb, and Auto Rotate buttons are part of what's called the Quick Settings. If there are notifications from apps or the system, they should appear under that.

Can you take a screenshot of what it looks like when you swipe down from the top of the screen once (not twice, and make sure you're using one finger to swipe, not two), and then share it here? Here are the steps: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html
B. Diddy, thank you for your time and help. This is just too much for me. All I want to do is add a ring tone from my computer and that is not happening. I tried to send the screen shot to my gmail account from the browser, but the phone wants to access and set up the account. I don't want my mail on the phone, I just want it to do basic stuff that I want it to do. Sorry to have taken up your time. Thanks again, OtisWoe

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're having too much trouble connecting the phone to the PC via USB, you could also make use of your Google Drive in the cloud:

1. On your computer, go to drive.google.com in your browser of choice, and make sure you're signed into your Google account there.

2. Also open your file manager on the computer as a smaller window (i.e, don't make the file manager full screen), locate the ringtone file, and drag and drop it into the main Google Drive screen -- this should upload the file (most likely to your main My Drive folder in Google Drive).

3. Now, on the phone, open your Google Drive app, make sure My Drive is highlighted at the top, and scroll down. You should see the file there. Click the 3-dot button associated with the file, and then choose Download.

4. The file should now be in the phone's Download directory, and therefore available to be used by the system as a ringtone.

OtisWoe

Apr 15, 2024
Visit site
If you're having too much trouble connecting the phone to the PC via USB, you could also make use of your Google Drive in the cloud:

1. On your computer, go to drive.google.com in your browser of choice, and make sure you're signed into your Google account there.

2. Also open your file manager on the computer as a smaller window (i.e, don't make the file manager full screen), locate the ringtone file, and drag and drop it into the main Google Drive screen -- this should upload the file (most likely to your main My Drive folder in Google Drive).

3. Now, on the phone, open your Google Drive app, make sure My Drive is highlighted at the top, and scroll down. You should see the file there. Click the 3-dot button associated with the file, and then choose Download.

4. The file should now be in the phone's Download directory, and therefore available to be used by the system as a ringtone.
B. Diddy, your help is very appreciated. I have followed your directions for Google Drive and I now have the ringtone that I want. Thanks for your patience and expertise. OtisWoe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak