Moto G + Unlocking - 2 questions

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Lost my trusty Atrix 2. Was planning on buying some generic chinese crap (since I keep losing phones). Then I discovered Moto G. Everywhere I look, it's being hailed as the KING of mid level smartphones, better than some of last year's flagships. Is is really the best choice?

Secondly, what's the run down on unlocking? I see some no contract boost/verizon prepaid for $99 on ebay. What is to stop me from buying one of these and chucking my Telecom NZ sim in there? Assuming the band (3g 850) is supported. I'm guessing it's still not that straight forward. Can it be unlocked? Does it cost? How much does it cost? Just curious cuz I'm a cheap *******.

Cheers

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Lost my trusty Atrix 2. Was planning on buying some generic chinese crap (since I keep losing phones). Then I discovered Moto G. Everywhere I look, it's being hailed as the KING of mid level smartphones, better than some of last year's flagships. Is is really the best choice?

Secondly, what's the run down on unlocking? I see some no contract boost/verizon prepaid for $99 on ebay. What is to stop me from buying one of these and chucking my Telecom NZ sim in there? Assuming the band (3g 850) is supported. I'm guessing it's still not that straight forward. Can it be unlocked? Does it cost? How much does it cost? Just curious cuz I'm a cheap *******.

Cheers
If the device supports your carriers band and it's unlocked there should be no issue with inserting the SIM and using the Moto G on your current network. It's the Verizon model you need to be careful of, because I'm pretty sure that's a cdma only device and won't support your SIM - I could be wrong, so check before purchasing. A Google Play version is available on the Play Store, so you might want to check that out and see the specs and bands supported by the unlocked device.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Cheers

As far as I understand it all GSM Moto G's are sold unlocked. You can get the "global" model or the "US" model.

Moto G by Motorola - A Google Company

That is the link to the US site. It says the global model supports 850 band on EDGE and HSPA+ networks.

So if you are looking on ebay you want the "Global GSM" model and you should be good, it should already be unlocked. You don't want the Boost Mobile/Verizon version, they are CDMA for use in the US and probably locked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CR5