Moto G5S Plus. 8.1 Official OTA update.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
File size is 1.2 GB and the installation took about 20 minutes.

After a couple of days of use the phone is running pretty smooth, a bit faster than before and battery life has improved. Very good update.

As we all know the settings app and the quick settings panel have been redesigned with new sub-menus, screens and features. I really like most of the changes and it seems more organised with plenty of options for fine tuning. Just a couple of comments about specific things for our device (or Moto) and others that I haven't seen reported.

Moto Actions/Display. They have included new features like three finger screenshot (my favourite), screenshot editor, media controls and attentive display.

App using battery. The system notifies you when it considers an app is using too much battery in the background. This is a persistent notification and can't be individually dismissed. It's an all or nothing thing and you can disable this feature in settings - apps & notifications - see all xxx apps - three dots top right - show system - android system - app notifications - disable 'apps consuming battery'.

Nova launcher. Some animations/transitions in Nova settings don't play very smooth after the update and I had to change a couple of values. The worst case was with folder animation.

New dialer and contacts app. The layouts have changed and now you need to swipe up or down to attend or dismiss a call. I like them more now.

Recovery. The sequence to open the Recovery menu from the 'no command' screen has changed a bit. Now you need to hold Power and Volume Up for 4-5 second and then release only the Volume key. The cache partition wipe took just a couple of seconds, as before.

Downloads. The download manager is not available in the drawer as a separated app anymore. Now you have an stock file explorer called 'Files'. Simple but useful, it doesn't include extra features that you can only find on a third party file explorer, though.

Memory. The memory usage settings are now "hidden" in the Developer Options.

Feel free to ask anything you want to know.
4bd4cf22990e0894657a41a124004118.jpg

Last edited:

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
File size is 1.2 GB and the installation took about 20 minutes.

After a couple of days of use the phone is running pretty smooth, a bit faster than before and battery life has improved. Very good update.

As we all know the settings app and the quick settings panel have been redesigned with new sub-menus, screens and features. I really like most of the changes and it seems more organised with plenty of options for fine tuning. Just a couple of comments about specific things for our device (or Moto) and others that I haven't seen reported.

Moto Actions/Display. They have included new features like three finger screenshot (my favourite), screenshot editor, media controls and attentive display.

App using battery. The system notifies you when it considers an app is using too much battery in the background. This is a persistent notification and can't be individually dismissed. It's an all or nothing thing and you can disable this feature in settings - apps & notifications - see all xxx apps - three dots top right - show system - android system - app notifications - disable 'apps consuming battery'.

Nova launcher. Some animations/transitions in Nova settings don't play very smooth after the update and I had to change a couple of values. The worst case was with folder animation.

New dialer and contacts app. The layouts have changed and now you need to swipe up or down to attend or dismiss a call. I like them more now.

Recovery. The sequence to open the Recovery menu from the 'no command' screen has changed a bit. Now you need to hold Power and Volume Up for 4-5 second and then release only the Volume key. The cache partition wipe took just a couple of seconds, as before.

Downloads. The download manager is not available in the drawer as a separated app anymore. Now you have an stock file explorer called 'Files'. Simple but useful, it doesn't include extra features that you can only find on a third party file explorer, though.

Memory. The memory usage settings are now "hidden" in the Developer Options.

Feel free to ask anything you want to know.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180922/4bd4cf22990e0894657a41a124004118.jpg

Thanks for the nice write-up. It will be helpful when I get the update on my G5 Plus, though there will be differences.
Did you reset your phone after the update ?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the nice write-up. It will be helpful when I get the update on my G5 Plus, though there will be differences.
Did you reset your phone after the update ?
Thanks. No, I've never done a factory reset after an update, just a cache partition wipe and a bit of cache clearing. Now it's a bit more difficult clearing the apps cache. They have removed the 'clear cached data' option in the storage settings and you need to do it individually or using a third party app.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. No, I've never done a factory reset after an update, just a cache partition wipe and a bit of cache clearing. Now it's a bit more difficult clearing the apps cache. They have removed the 'clear cached data' option in the storage settings and you need to do it individually or using a third party app.

Thanks. So have you installed a separate app for cache cleaning now ? Which one ?
I saw that part about no cache cleaning in Storage Settings on my son's phone last Dec when his Mi A1 got the 8.0 ( Now it's on 8.1) - I think he installed the Norton cache cleaner.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. So have you installed a separate app for cache cleaning now ? Which one ?
I saw that part about no cache cleaning in Storage Settings on my son's phone last Dec when his Mi A1 got the 8.0 ( Now it's on 8.1) - I think he installed the Norton cache cleaner.
No, I really don't mind losing that option. I have Google's Files Go installed, but I barely use it and my main file explorer, for any extra stuff, is Solid. Clearing cache individually for the big offenders is easy enough, even better now with the stock storage settings sorted by size.

They have included some 'cleaner' options. Took a look at them and decided not to use them.

By the way, the storage section sometimes can take a while to load, specially after a restart.IMG_20180923_154643.jpg

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
No, I really don't mind losing that option. I have Google's Files Go installed, but I barely use it and my main file explorer, for any extra stuff, is Solid. Clearing cache individually for the big offenders is easy enough, even better now with the stock storage settings sorted by size.

They have included some 'cleaner' options. Took a look at them and decided not to use them.

By the way, the storage section sometimes can take a while to load, specially after a restart.View attachment 291011

Both my son and I have Solid Explorer and Files Go installed. I think he liked the option to have the cache cleared at one go. Norton cache cleaner doesn't do anything except clear cache, I think.
Thanks for the screen shot. As far as I remember, I think it was the same in Mi A1. ( He is in university in a different city so unable to check now)
I too prefer not to have any separate cache cleaner installed.
It's nice to have all this information for a Moto G series phone, though I have seen some of it on Mi A1 .

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
More things.

The stock launcher includes some new options and app suggestions can be disabled, yay! Long press an empty spot on your home screen and select home settings.

The new screenshot editor included in Moto Actions is actually quite helpful, once you set it up and go through the permission and help screens. Easy process to take scrolling screenshots.

7fe60fe7eba24fe4ebc6416f2c73cec3.jpg

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
More things.

The stock launcher includes some new options and app suggestions can be disabled, yay! Long press an empty spot on your home screen and select home settings.

The new screenshot editor included in Moto Actions is actually quite helpful, once you set it up and go through the permission and help screens. Easy process to take scrolling screenshots.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180925/7fe60fe7eba24fe4ebc6416f2c73cec3.jpg

Are you using Nova launcher or the stock one now ?
I am so used to the gestures and other extras in Nova , but the stock launcher sounds nice too.
BTW, it seems 8.1 is rolling out in batches in India. I will check in the evening when I am free. I have not got any notification though.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Are you using Nova launcher or the stock one now ?
I am so used to the gestures and other extras in Nova , but the stock launcher sounds nice too.
BTW, it seems 8.1 is rolling out in batches in India. I will check in the evening when I am free. I have not got any notification though.
I use Nova and only switch to the stock launcher when I need to check anything for the forums. I found out about the new home settings after my wife got the update on her G5 Plus and was showing her the new options. :D

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I use Nova and only switch to the stock launcher when I need to check anything for the forums. I found out about the new home settings after my wife got the update on her G5 Plus and was showing her the new options. :D

Same here about launchers.
I haven't yet received the update though some users in India are reporting it

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Will do. I saw the notification when I woke up and had to run out to work. I'll deal with the upgrade as soon as I get home. Will update everyone and let you know how it went.

HighwayBob

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Just upgraded. Went smoothly just took a while. Between download and actual install it was close to 90 minutes. Everything seems to be running smoothly post-upgrade

attcbf

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
After update, I no longer have option to decline incoming call and send quick response except when the screen is locked. :( I used to be able to use the very handy option whenever a call was incoming regardless of whether the screen was locked. Any way to get this functionality back? Thank you.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
After update, I no longer have option to decline incoming call and send quick response except when the screen is locked. :( I used to be able to use the very handy option whenever a call was incoming regardless of whether the screen was locked. Any way to get this functionality back? Thank you.
This option is only available in the main dialer screen and not in the small window when you receive a call while using an app. Try this, when you get a call tap the name of the caller above the decline/answer buttons. This should open the whole dialer screen, now swipe up the small text icon at the bottom left.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred