Moto X 2014 Hey leather lovers, how's your back holding up?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It's leather, so it's going to show wear pretty quickly. That's part of the charm, but I'm curious how those who have a leather back are liking it so far. Noticing it get dirty faster? Are the scuffs bothering you? Any peeling issues at the corners? Finally, did you treat it with anything or just go as is?

Mister Moore

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Hey leather lovers, how's your back holding up?

I have the black leather variant. I'm pleasantly surprised on how well it has held up.... But its been about 5 days. Its smell and touch is amazing..... It has yet to get a noticeable scuff or discoloring. But I'm looking forward to the aging and characteristic of leather to show.

Now it appears to be a standard black back outside of the smell and feel

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I noticed that about the black leather back in the AT&T store. A very fine grain, hard to see that is leather without getting pretty close to it!

Sent from my Moto X

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I have got a couple of very light blemishes on my Navy blue. Nothing you would notice without looking hard though. They are just where I have reached in my pocket and caught it wrong with my fingernail.

The button on my car dock left a depression in the back that later came out as well.

So far I am happy with my choice in leather.

Sent from my XT1096

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

The button on my car dock left a depression in the back that later came out as well.

Do you use the iOttie cradle that collapses the arms to the sides of the phone when you push the phone back against the button?

Sent from my Moto X

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Do you use the iOttie cradle that collapses the arms to the sides of the phone when you push the phone back against the button?

Sent from my Moto X
Yes. Great dock. Best universal one I have ever seen.

I left my phone in there for an hour and when I took it out there was a depression from the button. It came out, but I have been scared to put it back in there.

Sent from my XT1096

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Yes. Great dock. Best universal one I have ever seen.

I agree!

I bought it for the promised suction power of the suction cup (and it lived up to that promise!) but I love the spring-action too!

Glad to know I can use the iOttie confidently with a leather-backed Moto X when it comes time to upgrade!

Sent from my Moto X

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

The iOttie dock is indeed awesome, I love mine.

I poked around in Reddit's Moto X subreddit, where a lot of people talk about the leather. Some people have conditioned theirs, others haven't. One guy complained about stains/dirt/patina appearing on a natural leather back after a week of use, and everyone told him to just accept it. To me, how the leather ages/patinas is important; it needs to look well-loved, not grungy.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Like I said, the depression it left came out, but I am not sure how much I will use it for fear of it creating a permanent dimple. I may even look into a new dock. Idk yet.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site

The iOttie dock is indeed awesome, I love mine.

I poked around in Reddit's Moto X subreddit, where a lot of people talk about the leather. Some people have conditioned theirs, others haven't. One guy complained about stains/dirt/patina appearing on a natural leather back after a week of use, and everyone told him to just accept it. To me, how the leather ages/patinas is important; it needs to look well-loved, not grungy.

I know what you're referring to. It had a big oil stain on it from the persons hands. looked pretty bad. I was deciding between natural and cognac, that may have swayed me. Natural might just be too light and too much of a stain risk.

Maybe putting a conditioner on the natural would darken it. Still not sure what I'm going with.

Last edited:

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

Beautifully. It will get nicks and discoloration over time. That's one of the reasons I choose leather. I'm with jerry on this and will just use saddle soap to clean and protect.

Posted via the Android Central App

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I know what you're referrign to. It had a big oil stain on it from the persons hands. looked pretty bad. I was deciding between natural and cognac, that may have swayed. me. Natural might just be too light and too much of a stain risk.

Maybe putting a conditioner on the natural would darken it. Still not sure what I'm going with.

Yeah, it looked more like dirt or ink than patina. I like the lighter coloring of the natural leather, but it seems like the cognac would age/wear better. booboolala2000, what color leather did you get?

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site

BUMP.

I am thinking about getting the "Natural" leather back on a Moto X with the Cyber Monday deal.

Are your leather backs still looking OK? Are they againg well?

anon(5002059)

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

I have the black leather back and I love it. bought a Hulu bumper case too. Leather holds up well and breaking in nicely. I thought last years model was the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781