.mov file has been moved from downloads to DCIM wES File Explorer, but not accessible via Gallery?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. I was emailed a video attachment, and I downloaded it. I need to post a clip of the video to instagram, so I used ES File Explorer to move the file from Downloads to DCIM, so that I may access the file in the Gallery, which is the only place that instagram can get photos/videos from. ES File Explorer shows the Video.mov file in the DCIM folder, and it is gone from the Downloads section in My Files, but when I open the gallery and go to my camera album, the video does not show up. The video does play when I click on it in ES File Explorer, and it played from the Downloads section of My Files, as well. However, when I select Share To instagram, the instagram opens for a brief moment, but then closes immediately. Selecting Share To Youtube, Facebook, or Twitter results in those apps opening and a post being created, but there is no media attached to the posts. The video file is 18.56 MB. I have always had an iPhone, on which all downloads are saved directly to the camera roll. I'm feeling very discouraged that something that was so simple on an iPhone seems impossible here, when I switched because of the greater file flexibility Android offers. Hopefully there is a solution to this problem because the video is a live debut of one of my new songs that I have promised my fans a recording of and includes a speech very specific to that one performance.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not accessible to Gallery yet. Not even by downloading it.

Gallery (and other media apps - Photos, sound players, video players) get their list of files from Media Scan's database. That runs when you do a media-related event (take a picture, make a recording) or when you start (or restart) the phone - or when you run an app like media.Re.Scan. So either restart the phone or install media.Re.scan and run it. (It makes sense - if Gallery had to scan the entire phone for pictures every time you ran it, or your music app had to scan the entire phone every time you wanted to play another song, you'd be one very unhappy camper.)

("The camera roll" is just a folder - saving something to a particular folder doesn't add it to the database. And an 18MB file may be a bit too large to upload using the Android apps - blame the people who write the apps [Instagram, Facebook, etc.], not Android. Uploading the file using a web browser would probably work.)

note8uzrr

Mar 27, 2018
Visit site
Restarting the phone and installing and running media.Re.scan did not help. ES File Explorer still shows it in my DCIM folder, but it is not showing up when I open Gallery. Thanks for the response tho!

note8uzrr

Mar 27, 2018
Visit site
Thank you so much!! I had thought of that, and searched ".mov" in ES File Explorer, but, for some reason, it brought up all of the videos in my gallery (which obviously aren't .mov files) so I thought that wasn't the problem. I downloaded VidCompact which converted the .mov into .mp4 and saved it right to my gallery. So happy I posted!

paulaki

Mar 28, 2018
Visit site
I just posted a similar question just now, but I am having problems with saving both pics and videos to my gallery. My S8+ decides at random whether to save the items into my gallery OR 'My Files'. I had a video yesterday I needed to upload to Instagram and it refused to save into my gallery and the same thing happened as you it would flick to Instagram then close down. I spend over 4 hours trying to find a solution to this over the net (this is a huge problem world-wide I discovered with no solution) so today I posted my question on here hoping there is a solution. You know how I solved the problem yesterday? I charged up my old iphone and ended up posting the video to Instagram from my iphone - ridiculous!!!! I just want to finally add that the phone does save pics and videos to my gallery but only 70% of the time the other 30% it saves into 'My Files', no idea why the phone picks and chooses!

paulaki

Mar 28, 2018
Visit site
Also, my file yesterday was an .mp4 by the way but it still refused to save into my gallery. Good luck with future saving of pics and videos as you will find that the phone will throw them at random into 'My Files' or 'Gallery'

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie