Movies on Epic 4G Guide

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, here is a short/sweet guide to getting movies onto your Epic.

1) Download the following programs:

Handbrake

DVD Fab Decrypter

2) Insert the DVD you want to copy into your DVD drive. Start up DVD Fab Decrypter. Choose the DVD Copy --> Main movie option.

3) Make sure the source is the DVD you want to copy. Change the target to where you want to save the data. Click next.

4) On the next page make sure Copy DVD Video (Video_TS folder) is checked. Click start. This process can take a few minutes.

5) Start up handbrake after the dvd fab process is complete. Change the source to DVD/ Video_TS folder and browse to where you save your movie. A tip here make sure you are at the top directory so it includes both the Video_TS and Audio_TS folder.

6) Go to the preset menu and click add preset. Type in Epic 4G and click Add. Click Browse and pick where you want to save your newly encoded file.

7) I chose the MP4 container. Make sure Large File size, Web Optimized, and Ipod 5G support are UNchecked.

8) On the picture tab it is up to you. I suggest leaving the default there but you can check keep aspect ratio if you want. The Epic can support up to 800 x 480 pixels. You may or may not have that option depending on your source material. I kept cropping at automatic and set anamorphic to None.

9) On the video filters tab I didn't change anything. However if your source material is interlaced you may want to choose a deinterlace setting.

10) Video tab: For the video codec make sure H.264 (x264) is chosen. Framerate is same as source. For avg bitrate I chose 1500.

11) Audio tab: Source = automatic. Audio codec I chose AAC. Mixdown I chose Dolby pro logic II.

12) For subtitles I chose not to have them. But I assume if you have the subtitles source you can choose to burn them in. I don't have any experience with this because I hate subtitles, though I can understand why people would want them on this type of device.

13) Click start on the top of the program window. This process can take quite a while depending on the processing power of your pc. I encoded a 2:24 movie in about an hour and a half.

14) Hook up your epic to your PC in mass storage mode. Create a folder called movies and drag the newly encoded MP4/M4V file to the folder.

If I didn't say to change a setting that means I left it at the default. I've done this for several movies and have had great success with stunning picture quality and 5.1 surround audio.

I'm using the stock video player and it works fine. I'm sure there are better video players out there but I don't have any experience with any of them.

Hope this helps some people. If others have other setting suggestions please feel free to comment. But I've tweaked these to my liking and am extremely happy with the results.

If you have any questions I'll try and answer them but I'm seriously an android newbie and have little experience with handbrake.

Last edited:
Reactions: bojackson

elbaso

Apr 14, 2010
about.me
Great post! The Handbrake specs are very helpful.
Do you know if this encoding also retains the DVD chapter marks? I think I've done this with an iPhone in the past, and it did retain the chapter marks for the DVD movie.
I'm actually not even sure if there are any Android movie players that support chapter marks.

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Great post! The Handbrake specs are very helpful.
Do you know if this encoding also retains the DVD chapter marks? I think I've done this with an iPhone in the past, and it did retain the chapter marks for the DVD movie.
I'm actually not even sure if there are any Android movie players that support chapter marks.

Not at home but from what I remember the second from last tab is the chapter marks tab. The default setting is set to keep chapter marks, but like you said I don't think the stock media player can use them.

elbaso

Apr 14, 2010
about.me
... like you said I don't think the stock media player can use them.

That's too bad. Does anyone know of any third-party Android movie players that support chapter marks?
With the Media Hub update coming later today, my Epic may just become my mobile repository of my favorite movies! :D

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I did some research last night and this question has come up several times on the android platform but I can't find an answer whether yea or nay.

schnergun

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Question for you.. When I open DVDFAB and it just keeps saying OPEN DVD SOURCE.. it will sit there and read for a bit before force closing snf yhrn restarting the process. any ideas?

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Question for you.. When I open DVDFAB and it just keeps saying OPEN DVD SOURCE.. it will sit there and read for a bit before force closing snf yhrn restarting the process. any ideas?

I'm not at home so I can't replicate what you are doing. Are you following the steps in the exact order I have them? I assume the DVD you are decrypting is in the dvd drive? Does the DVD have any scratches? I haven't run into this issue so I'm not sure what is going on.

What step is it hanging on?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StudyMantraOverseas