Moving apps to sd card help!!!

logan121691

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
My wife's elite has an 8gb sd card in it that is nowhere near full but I can't get any apps to move to the sd card it just gives me the option to either move to phone or move to internal memory. The in internal memory is full and I don't want to for the phone. I want to fill the sd card. Any ideas???

Sent from my LS670 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
My wife's elite has an 8gb sd card in it that is nowhere near full but I can't get any apps to move to the sd card it just gives me the option to either move to phone or move to internal memory. The in internal memory is full and I don't want to for the phone. I want to fill the sd card. Any ideas???

Is your wife's elite running on Jelly Bean?

fastobe

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

If you are not rooted (as I am not), apps can only be stored on the "internal storage," not on the external (removable) micro SD card. The micro SD can only store music, photos, and vids. There is no option around this.

You can move any apps that do not have to boot on phone start-up into that internal storage area. Select Menu > Settings > Manage Applications. Select the app and press "move to internal memory." The gauge strip at the bottom of the Manage Application screen shows how much internal memory has been used and how much is left. Under the Internal Memory listing of loaded apps (top of screen, third selection from left), the check-marks indicate apps stored in internal memory that can be moved to the phone memory to boot on start-up. Any unchecked apps are the ones you want or need to start at phone start-up, the checked ones do not need to run on start-up. Some apps do not give you the option of moving them to the internal storage because they must run at phone start-up.

If you cannot gain extra space by deleting and/or moving apps between the internal and phone storage, you may have to root the phone. Other forum members can answer what you can do, if anything, after root. I do not recommend rooting unless you know what you are doing.

I hope this helps answer your question and good luck.

Last edited:

Savannah Muire

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much this is so helpful! I have had the same problem and I was very confused about what to do. I don't want to root my phone if it isn't necessary, but if that is what it takes to get the phone to use the expandable memory, then that is what I may need to do. Super helpful. :D

fastobe

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much this is so helpful! I have had the same problem and I was very confused about what to do. I don't want to root my phone if it isn't necessary, but if that is what it takes to get the phone to use the expandable memory, then that is what I may need to do. Super helpful. :D

In addition to my post above, you may be able to free up some space by de-fragmenting the phone's internal memory and the SD card, like you would with your computer. This can be done by connecting the phone to your PC and de-fragmenting the phone's memory as you would the computer hard drive, or an external hard drive.

Post if you need instructions on how to de-fragment the phone's memory. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

tiredmomof5

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I know is an old post but I would appreciate instructions on how to defrag thru PC. I just got this phone and will mostly use only for phone, text, and pictures. However id like to enable to download some apps and not worry about not having room. I love this phone just not liking the lack of storage.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I know is an old post but I would appreciate instructions on how to defrag thru PC. I just got this phone and will mostly use only for phone, text, and pictures. However id like to enable to download some apps and not worry about not having room. I love this phone just not liking the lack of storage.

It's a bad idea to try to defrag Android because it is a whole different operating system very different from Windows. I'm sure there's a lot of material on AC, but here are some tips instead of wrecking the phone by doing a Windows type of defrag.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-faster-works/

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2