Multitasking problems

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Does the lack of multitasking on this phone result more from Sense or more from a lack of memory or both?

If it's simply Sense, rooting and/or using another launcher would eliminate this issue making the phone more palatable to me.

Thanks.

Jackson Galaxy

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Try multitasking without using the dedicated button. Use the home key instead. Also, go to debugging and change the background processes to 4. I seem to be able to bounce between more apps before the data goes stale

Last edited:

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately there are no other kernels but stock atm. Please check xda if u don't believe me, but even if it says its a custom kernel it is not. The code has not been released yet so it can even be modified.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There has got to be a fix for this in the works from HTC.

In order to fix something, you have to acknowledge that it's busted. They haven't, it's working perfectly fine (according to them).

But this is a combination of sense taking up too much memory and their overly aggressive background process killing.

Note I said sense, not rosie, which is just the launcher. The launcher is a portion of the problem, but multitasking still gets f'd no matter what launcher you have.

So the real problem is that from the second you boot up you only have 680MB of RAM available. That's only a couple hundred more than the original EVO had when it booted. So even taking the kernel and fixing the problem, if possible, there's still going to be so much bloated that there's not much RAM left anyway - that's why it hovers around 125MB free while the EVO 3D, on ICS Sense 3.6 has about 350.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^Sounds like Apple :rolleyes:

Why is it every phone has some sort of major issue?

I want to love this phone. The screen is amazing, but the multitasking and light leak issues (And battery issues for some) are pulling it down.

The S3 has an AMOLED screen, which is poor compared to LCD. And it may carryover the same signal issues as the S2/Galaxy Nexus/Nexus S......

Grrr.

mcross72

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It's a brand new phone, it's going to have bugs. HTC doesn't recognize a problem because it's doing what it was designed to do. As they realize people don't like it they will make changes. I for one don't have the Evo LTE but am planning on buying one. I own my first and last Samsung right now which is the Epic Touch. Give them time they will address the user issues. I'm not a pro on smart phones but I would be money that the S3 will have issues when it comes out. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Hurleygm

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It's a brand new phone, it's going to have bugs. HTC doesn't recognize a problem because it's doing what it was designed to do. As they realize people don't like it they will make changes. I for one don't have the Evo LTE but am planning on buying one. I own my first and last Samsung right now which is the Epic Touch. Give them time they will address the user issues. I'm not a pro on smart phones but I would be money that the S3 will have issues when it comes out. Just my 2 cents.
It's expected that companies build on knowledge from previous models. Not make the same mistakes over and over (signal issues for Samsung, Light bleed, hardware issues and software bugs for htc).

Say what you will about Apple, but they don't experience basic problems like this.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It's expected that companies build on knowledge from previous models. Not make the same mistakes over and over (signal issues for Samsung, Light bleed, hardware issues and software bugs for htc).

Say what you will about Apple, but they don't experience basic problems like this.

Think you're confusing hardware and software. Most of the issues have to do with software. The light leak "issue" is easily spotted when u buy the phone. It also isn't something that's a problem on majority of phones. Well mine doesn't have it, nor do the other 10 or so phones I have seen.

The multitasking does need some work however.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not an expert on the internals of Android, but everything I have read about this issue seems to indicate that this is a memory issue. Sense 4.0 is a memory pig and HTC has implemented this as a means to keep sense running at all costs, even if that means killing background apps. I'm not sure how or if that can be fixed at the kernel level. I think the best option will be a stock ICS ROM so that sense is removed from the equation.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE smarter than your phone!

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not an expert on the internals of Android, but everything I have read about this issue seems to indicate that this is a memory issue. Sense 4.0 is a memory pig and HTC has implemented this as a means to keep sense running at all costs, even if that means killing background apps. I'm not sure how or if that can be fixed at the kernel level. I think the best option will be a stock ICS ROM so that sense is removed from the equation.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE smarter than your phone!

I've been holding out for a fully functional CM9 port, but I've grown to actually like Sense as a UI. A de-bloated Sense ROM with some memory management and performance tweaks under the hood would be nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796