Music playback over Bluetooth but no sound

DesertTwang

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
OK, so riddle me this: My Pixel 2 is connected to my car's bluetooth infotainment system, the song that's playing in Google Play is displayed on the car's screen, including the bar indicating the remaining song time elapsing, yet no sound. Volume is turned up on both the phone and the car, but nothing.

How is this even possible? How can the phone send data to the car stereo (which it does based on the song details being displayed on the car's screen), yet I can't hear anything?

The same has happened with my Bluetooth headphones before. They're connected to the phone's Bluetooth alright, and the phone displays the elapsing song time (so there is a song playing), but no sound, neither from the phone nor from the headphones.

This only appears to happen with the Google Play app, at least that's when I have noticed the issue most often.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Go to the Bluetooth page (long-press the Bluetooth icon), find the connection (car or earphones), tap the gear and make sure Media is checked.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. My P2 works for both my BT headphones and my car audio connection. (But not on my Motorola 720 earphone because that has no profile that can be used for media.)

The Lip

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been having the same problem with my BT earphones. Sometimes when I pair, sound comes through earphones. Sometimes it continues to come out the phone's speakers. As Rukbat pointed out, I would then go to the settings page and click on the earphone output. However, that doesn't always work. I would click on the earphone and the phone would switch back to phone speakers. This all started with the Pie update.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Got my bluetooth headphones to work by going into the settings and turning off all the media settings and then back on and the sound started playing in the bluetooth headphones.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayeff