Must I get ANOTHER new phone?

zooka19

Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
I've had so many issues with Samsung over the years and considering switching to iPhone.

Note 2 - Was fine
Note 4 - I had to buy it 3 times, they just didn't last.
S7 Edge - Was fine, but had the pink line on it
S9 Plus - Almost blew up

Now I have the S21, it keeps restarting all the time, I almost can't do anything, and it's always hot.

I assumed it was the storage, it's a 256gb phone, only had 1gb storage, I managed to delete 6GB but it's still doing it. I'm not sure if I should continue and see if that's the issue?

I've tried restarting in safe mode, still restarts.

I considered backing up and factory resetting, but it won't stay on long enough to not restart. I currently have the phone charging while switched off but quickly losing patience.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks.

Edit: Found a repair app in the store that required full access. Phone is doing okay since running the app, not sure if it's just a coincidence. In the meantime, I'll still try to back up and factory reset.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's also still heating up in Safe Mode? What's your cell signal like? Poor cell signal can cause battery drain and heat, as the phone struggles to maintain the signal.

If your signal is fine, then I'd guess something is up with the hardware, and you'd have to look into warranty replacement.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a misbehaving app to me, have you checked battery usage and background apps?

Also, have you actually used that much storage or do you think the storage use is out of line?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a misbehaving app to me, have you checked battery usage and background apps?

Also, have you actually used that much storage or do you think the storage use is out of line?

Still happening in Safe Mode, though, so if it's an app, it'd have to be a system app or preinstalled bloat app.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Still happening in Safe Mode, though, so if it's an app, it'd have to be a system app or preinstalled bloat app.

Yeah, I was thinking a system app. Also if they got it from a less than reputable third party seller, it's always possible that something nefarious has been flashed to it as a system app. Although I didn't want to go there straight away and freak them out cause it's not that likely lol

zooka19

Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, still happens in safe mode.
I thought it was fine since using that app, but as I said it... It went ahead and restarted again.
I'd go ahead and factory reset now, but I would rather use Smart Switch, as Google Photos won't restore my files back into the folders they're in etc. and also I've saved new contacts in the last 3 weeks.

I've checked app errors, it said 3 or 4 apps were crashing constantly, and Instagram was using high background usage, but those notifications were from about 5 days ago.

Signal is fine, phone was bought from a reputable online retailer that have been around for years.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, still happens in safe mode.
I thought it was fine since using that app, but as I said it... It went ahead and restarted again.
I'd go ahead and factory reset now, but I would rather use Smart Switch, as Google Photos won't restore my files back into the folders they're in etc. and also I've saved new contacts in the last 3 weeks.

I've checked app errors, it said 3 or 4 apps were crashing constantly, and Instagram was using high background usage, but those notifications were from about 5 days ago.

Signal is fine, phone was bought from a reputable online retailer that have been around for years.
Welcome to AC!
[I moved your question to s21 Forum]

Zakjoe1234

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
Thanks guys, unfortunately it isn't fixed. It only doesn't restart if I'm not using it, I've turned off the refreshing. Do you think the storage could be an issue? I only have 4gb of 256gb free atm.

Kinda avoiding taking it to Samsung, because I'm not sure if it's in warranty, and this time of year its hard to go in store when they have engineers.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Not having much storage left isn't great, but it shouldn't cause overheating or random reboots under normal circumstances. That said, it would be a good idea to clean up a bit if you can keep your phone running long enough.

Have you tried force closing those misbehaving apps? you should also clear their caches and consider trying a data wipe on them.

What software version are you on? there have been a couple of bad builds for the S21 Ultra.

You should also be aware that having multiple accounts isn't allowed on here, so the mods are probs gonna tan your cheeks.

zooka19

Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
It seems to be just crashing with all of them, I'm tempted to just buy a new phone at this point to be honest. I always seem to have issues with Samsung where everyone else doesn't.

I can't really clear storage when it won't stop restarting.

Whatever the latest S21 version is, that's the one I have currently, can't even check the build because it won't stay on. It wasn't behaving like this until that update, so I'm not sure if the update caused it, or the phone is screwed.

I'm happy for the other account to be deleted/banned tbh, I couldn't remember my details for this account, but it appears this PC has it automatically logged in.

zooka19

Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
Update:
Struggled for 4 days to get my phone backed up, finally did it.
Just did a factory reset, didn't put anything back and kept opening/closing random apps constantly, went on YouTube. No crashes, phone did get a little warm and then cooled down.

About to restore everything back, so I think it's safe to say (I could be wrong, I'll find out), it was caused by low storage, or the last update. I'm leaning towards the last update as my phone has been full for some time. I will make sure to delete stuff once I've restored if it doesn't crash.

The really annoying thing is, my phone downloaded and merged my screenshot & photos folders from Google Photos, so I have to literally go through 58k screenshots and 20-30k photos and delete what I don't want. Fun...

zooka19

Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
None of my apps transferred via Smart Switch, not sure if I should try again or just download?

Mainly missing notes from notepad apps and I will have to re-verify my authenticators.

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
If you're smart, and it truly might have been an app issue, I would install 1 or 2 at a time to test. Eliminate the issue systematically.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Man, you have had a lot of bad luck lol

I've had many Samsung devices, none with any issues. At least of that caliber. I had an S5, Note 9, Note 10 plus and now I have an S21 Ultra, as well as several older Samsung devices. Only issue I have with my S21U is that I think I have a somewhat faulty ear speaker, but that could be due to buying it refurbished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolwilliamson